Conversion companies - West Mids

Jon a than

Hi
I have my T6 on order which is due is September, there are lots of conversion companies around, I’m looking at getting a really nice conversion with good quality tires and fittings, not run of the mill.
Can any one recommend some of the best companies you may have used.
Jon

Can you please be a little more specific with your needs?
Why do you need tyres? Conversion to day van or full camper van or?
The list is endless so if you can narrow it down then it would be a huge help

Hi sorry it was the predictive text, I am looking on the internet at conversion companies and trying to establish good quality conversions rather than the companies who complete them Day in day out, I am looking for something with quality and different designs.
I have noted three bridges and authaus who look quite good but if any one has any better information I would be very greatful.
Jon

Hi Jon, the choices are, you will find, endless and confusing.
I think you need to decide roughly want you want/need and go from there, for example 2 berth or plus kids, toilet, water/waste tanks, mains hook up etc,
We have been down this route and discovered that things that look good don’t necessarily work and we always seemed to forget something that turned out to be essential.
So, after some very expensive mistakes we went to Bilbo’s who have been around for ages, at first sight they don’t look anything special but it is fantastically well made, has been refined over the years, is tried and tested and just works.
Might not suit you as could be considered old fashioned but there motto seems to be if it works don’t break it but refine it.
Worth a look but won’t suit everyone.

Totally agree with @Nigel W comments. The mainstream convertors such as Bilbos, Hillside, etc. together with most of the smaller outfits all offer variations on the same standard layouts - why - because it works!! We went for an off the shelf layout from Hillside Leisure and have been more than happy with it - wont win any show and shine competitions but it is very functional and, circa 20 months in, nothing has broken and everything still works as expected.

For something slightly different, but still a variation on the theme, have a looks at Ecowagon Conversion - Caravan And Motor Home Club Magazine

I would reccommend hiring a camper first if you haven't had one before, then you will soon get the feel for what you want/need. I have done my own conversion with a slightly different layout. I bought in some of the
furniture and made the rest. Have a look at Cambee, they made my kitchen pod and I am very happy with it, they do some very nice full conversions.

Hiring one first is a good shout as gives you some first hand experience of what works and what doesn’t

Hiring one first is a good shout as gives you some first hand experience of what works and what doesn’t
Yeah definitely hire first. You’ll get some idea of what you need /want and how you’ll use it.

Yeah definitely hire first. You’ll get some idea of what you need /want and how you’ll use it.
You mean things like putting a fantastic sound and light system at the top of the list lol

If you want something bespoke, unique and matches your needs, dreams, theme, and is technically correct and safe, then take a look at Dirty Weekenders in Worcester. They have a website gallery too. But they know their stuff and won't sell you something you don't actually need. Go talk to them. No connection, just happy customer.

Dirty Weekender - Adventure Vans

D.

Hi Jonathan,

As a converter we've never built the same van twice, yet I have to agree with some of the comments here that the standard layout does just work. All the bespoke 'bling' conversions do have unintended consequences with them - and I have to say we do a good deal of trade 'rectifying' design problems from other converters that charged twice what we do to start with!

Similarly I wish I had a penny for every customer who came in asking how much it would cost to take his stiffened lowered van with ultra low profile tyres and sports seats back to Hiline standard as the saving he'd make on chiropractor fees will cover the rework easily :)

Starting point for any conversion is always what do you want to do with it? How often will you use it for camping? How many do you want to sleep? What is your mix of touring distance versus camping? Do you want to use the van daily? Are you wild camping or on sites? How much cooking are you thinking of doing in the van etc.

I can also recommending hiring as a 'try before you buy' - a scheme that works very well for our customers. If a converters van can stand up to being on hire for a year with noobs, it's a statement of the build quality that's worth taking notice of :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help I will take a look at the companies you recommend, keep them coming, every comment really helps.
If it helps I dont pal. On using the van more than say 15 - 30 nights each year, there will only be two of us and a pooch.
Jon

We bought a T6 T32 LWB Kombi and had CMC down in Hythe convert it for us. Both Sue and are really pleased with the outcome. Have had about 8 weeks away in it since picking it up in September and no issues at all. Solar panel works well, no problem with electrics, water and waste are very basic but foolproof. Pop top works a treat, beds are comfortable (haven’t got the roof bed but two singles) and finish is really smart and modern. Had modifications to the Multi-Style van eg porta-potti instead of fixed loo. Had only really picky minor issues eg wanted slightly longer curtain tie backs which were changed for us and that was about it. Very friendly, courteous, been convertingfor years and we have no complaints at all and would happily use them again.

Back