Convert Single sliding-door to twin-slider?

TomT6

Newbie question, but wondering if it is possible to convert a single sliding door van into a twin?

Newbie question, but wondering if it is possible to convert a single sliding door van into a twin?
I'm gonna say no?

That's a hell of a lot of work, easier to find another van.

Although, with the way the market is.......
:whistle:

Everything is possible, but that's a very ambitious proposal, not a DIY job. I doubt you'd find a professional willing to take the job on.
I can't imagine it being financially viable anyway, as @CAB says, better to find a van with twin sliders.
(I'm waiting for somebody to post a link to the "How I converted my single slider T6 into a twin slider in a weekend on my drive" thread!)

I know a lot of people convert barn doors to tailgate, but it sounds like a whole load of faff to me, easier to find another van.

But then swapping headlights is my limit!

I thought this would be the case, the work involved would be major surgery. With my second child on the way I was thinking for ease of access to another childseat would make sense. I'll see how it goes. Anyone had experience with a couple of kiddie seats in the back?

A child seat on ISOFIX does take up a lot of room, if installed next to the sliding door you would struggle to get past it. I have moved our triple bench back into the 3rd row position which solves all the issues and makes a great 'day van' arrangement. This would obviously depend how much rear space you need. When going on holiday and needing the extra space we move it back to normal position.
If you have 1+1 up front you can get to the back from the front anyhow so less of an issue.

you could always go for a caravelle conversion (triple bench on rails) so the bench can be moved back another foot or so to get past. This is the route I'm going down when saved up some cash for it!

No, just no I'm afraid. I've got a single slider and with 2 kids in seats I found it easy to put them in through the side door then step through between the front seats to do up the belts.

Word from the wise…In my early days had kids and a 2 Door car only ( 4 doors where an expensive option ) … The bigger picture is kids grow up fast ( you’d never think it at the time ) ….save your money stick to one slider ….Kids and a van ! …your gonna spend a lot supporting both… Enjoy the Journey :)

Word from the wise…In my early days had kids and a 2 Door car only ( 4 doors where an expensive option ) … The bigger picture is kids grow up fast ( you’d never think it at the time ) ….save your money stick to one slider ….Kids and a van ! …your gonna spend a lot supporting both… Enjoy the Journey :)
Brilliant answer !!
Just think how many more decisions we make for our kids only to find they're out of date in 5 minutes.... I remember spending £4k on DVD players in a RR when the kids never had their smart phones out of their hands watching YouTube.
You should start a "Wise thought of the day" thread.

I had single slider regret for about 2 years, kids are able to put their own belts on now though.

I remember the salesman advising me to go with twin sliders and me thinking he was just trying to add a few pointless extras to bump up the price. :rolleyes:

Back