Convert rear seats from 2+1 to 1+1+1 help

Manu

VIP Member
Hi!
My kombi van has a 2+1 configuration in the rear seats. I would like to put one seat on each side and remove the double seat. A bit like the middle row configuration in a caravelle or a 1+1+1 configuration, although without the middle seat.
I have found a rear seat for the right side and the floor brackets on eBay quite cheap. Has anyone done this before? I want to know how easy it will be to add the two brackets to the floor. I assume there will be predrilled holes or at least reinforcement already there, as there are already brackets there in left hand drive transporters. Anyone has information about how to do this?
Thanks!

Hi i am new to this as well and my research suggests that a 2/1 configuration has different anchorage points, in other words you couldn't just take out the double bench and fit a single seat there. it would need modifications. you also couldnt take out the double bench and fit it in the 3rd row as again the 3rd row will only take a single (integrated seatbelt) or a 3rd bench. I hope this makes sense? the annoying thing is the 2/1 single seat cannot be used anywhere else ie the 3rd row or the other side (double bench end)

I do not have a third row of seats. All I want to do is replaced the double seat by a single that would go to the right side. Basically, I need to add two brackets. I upload a couple of images taken form the internet, where I have drawn circles where the brackets have to go.
I can see some people have done this while converting a panel in to a Kombi. I am just not sure how easy it is to do in that side. I think there may not be need to remove the tank, but I am just curious if this is something I can do or better getting it done by someone.
Continued......

I used sealed rivets to blank all the redundant ply screw holes (also primed & painted) in the floor, and then I added a blob of sealant over the bottom of the rivet on the underside of the van.

View attachment 23044 View attachment 23045 View attachment 23048 View attachment 23049 View attachment 23050 View attachment 23051 View attachment 23052 View attachment 23053

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 10.57.26.png

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 10.54.46.png

Hi yes,, understood your question - it is doable however the single seat on the left 2/1 configuration is different from the single seat like the shuttle or transporter that you want to install...if you see what i mean? you can fit two anchorage points (red circles above but it will look a bit odd i would have thought. If you are good at dIY then go for it...

Hi i am new to this as well and my research suggests that a 2/1 configuration has different anchorage points, in other words you couldn't just take out the double bench and fit a single seat there. it would need modifications. you also couldnt take out the double bench and fit it in the 3rd row as again the 3rd row will only take a single (integrated seatbelt) or a 3rd bench. I hope this makes sense? the annoying thing is the 2/1 single seat cannot be used anywhere else ie the 3rd row or the other side (double bench end)

This is not strictly true.

You will just need to drill and fit two extra brackets. The outer brackets for the double seat are located the same as those for the single.

Last edited:
Back