Convert pop-top to an Electric pop up roof

Amelia

Hi. I want to have my manual pop-up roof changed into an electrical one. Any recommendations near London? It seems that most convertors are far-away.

Hi. I want to have my manual pop-up roof changed into an electrical one. Any recommendations near London? It seems that most convertors are far-away.
VisionTech Automotive managed to retrofit an electric opener to a HiLo pop-top a few years ago, and possibly other brands. They may be able to help. Luckily for you they are just outside London at Colchester. They’ll be able to sort out your bed, too.

What roof do you currently have?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Many thanks. I will check them out. I bought the T6 already converted and I was not very informed about the types of roofs so I do not know what type it is, just thst it is manual and it is very hard for me to open it as it is too heavy for me

Many thanks. I will check them out. I bought the T6 already converted and I was not very informed about the types of roofs so I do not know what type it is, just thst it is manual and it is very hard for me to open it as it is too heavy for me
Post up some pictures and someone will be able to tell you what you’ve bought.

Hello, perhaps a far cheaper option would be to replace the two gas struts with stronger ones and / or use an extension pole to push the roof up so that you are in a better position to use your strength?

Your idea is great! I will try both. Where can I find an extension pole?
I’m guessing you have two handles left and right on the roof with which to operate it up and down?
It’s very important that both sides go up and down evenly. Therefore if you consider using an extension pole you’ll need a point to engage it in the centre of the roof.
You could make a tight strap between these two handles with some kind of hook in the centre of the strap, use a piece of broom handle with a matching eye to connect to the hook.
Once you’ve determined this will work you could get an additional handle attached to the roof a mid point or refine the temporary arrangement.
You could use an attached cord to lower the roof as well.
Put some padding on both ends of the pole and you won’t scratch or rip anything in the van.
Whatever you try make sure the roof goes up and comes down both sides evenly without trapping the canvas.

Your idea is great! I will try both. Where can I find an extension pole?
The only problem with stronger gas struts it that it makes the roof more difficult to pull down. I had exactly this problem when my Hilo was fitted. There is no way the wife would have ever pulled it down.

I have fitted electric rams to mine. It's quite an involved job. You still need to give the roof a helping hand to get going because of the position of the rams when its down. Lowering it is a breeze.

In all honesty I don't think you'll find an installer who will do this for you. There is just too many risks

You might be able to find someone who will fit some adjustable gas springs so if the new ones are too hard to pull down you could let a little gas out.

Oh so if I change them, it may be easier to push but more difficult to pull down....what a nightmare!
An electric roof is too expensive and at least if I had it from the beginning, but after paying for a manual pop up roof to pay again for an electric one is too much...

Oh so if I change them, it may be easier to push but more difficult to pull down....what a nightmare!
An electric roof is too expensive and at least if I had it from the beginning, but after paying for a manual pop up roof to pay again for an electric one is too much...
Broom handle will fix the issue, you just need a simple solution to link those two handles and create a centre point to attach the pole, doesn’t have to be flash.
Forget the struts although it doesn’t need to be your arms pulling it down, you just hold it and bend your legs and use your body weight.
I worked in heavy industry for years, small people including women were often scoffed at by 6’ musclemen, it’s technique and determination that gets the task done not testosterone!

Yes, I was thinking that using my body weight to pull down might work but I hope I will sort out the pushing up also. Many thanks for all the advice

I bought the van from Yorkshire without seeing it in person because of the lockdown. It was delivered to me. I didn’t even know how hard it would be for me to open it. I can’t push the roof but that is only because of me, my friends can do it, it is nothing wring with it. I also can’t open the rock and roll bed as it has some locks which are very hard to open for me. Again only my problem, others can do it. I might sell the van as it seems I am unable to use its functions.
I contacted a few car services about changing the struts but they adviced that even if I do that, I still need to be able to first push hard against the roof and only after a certain angle is reached the struts will be actioned. As the conversion is new, it is not worth paying for a Reimo roof as I would be like paying twice, once for the manual roof I already paid and again for the Reimo. Probably I would better sell the van and buy another with no conversion and then I can choose exactly what I want/need. I did not worry about all these issues when I bought it as my partner was helping but we separated and I was very upset to realise I cannot use its functions by myself.

It would be a shame to sell it. Are you operating the roof from the front seat position? I guess so, as its easier than trying to double joint yourself from inside the van section. On the bed problem, I agree the catches can be tricky to un-latch as ours has a 3 position recliner catch on the seat then if you pull further it drops..... then jump into the middle to lock it down.

For putting up the roof you could use something like this:

If you struggle to pull down the roof you could have a looped rope between the 2 handles on the roof. Have the rope long enough that it loops close to the floor and then you can stand on it and use your body weight to pull down the roof the 1st bit, which is usually the difficult part. Hope that makes sense.

For putting up the roof you could use something like this:

If you struggle to pull down the roof you could have a looped rope between the 2 handles on the roof. Have the rope long enough that it loops close to the floor and then you can stand on it and use your body weight to pull down the roof the 1st bit, which is usually the difficult part. Hope that makes sense.
The minimum length of that pole is 5’ which is more than the headroom with the roof down.

Did the seller tell you to open the doors/windows when operating the roof?
Just checking that you caught this Amelia as its crucial, .... open the sliding door fully when raising or lowering.
If you dont, it will be very hard to raise, and on lowering, the cloth will billow out into the hinges where it will be 'scissored'.

Stronger gas struts will fix the 'raising' problem , but how about a lightweight electric winch to pull it down?
the sort they sell for pulling a dinghy onto a trailer?
Something like this?

1610124750749.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back