Conversion cost?

Further to my many other post I'm having the dilemma or considering base van and conversion or a ready made camper, however with the cost of vans at the moment then adding a conversion on top could sky rocket, what's an approximate cost to convert with say a pop top, rib bed and side kitchen, just a generic conversion that most companies seem to do, I understand this will vary hugely but just for a guide

How long is your piece of string?
A very cheap poptop of questionable quality and workmanship can be had for £2k.
A cheap self fit non-crash tested bed, under £1k.
A flat pack furniture kit, similar, £1k.
But then you’ve got all the other stuff that you can’t see, insulation/sound deadening/12/240V electrics/appliances/windows. It soon adds up. Realistically a half decent basic conversion is going to cost £20k, a high end all singing job will be in the £40k area.
It’s all about the base van, spend the money on the van and stage the conversion if money is tight. Up-speccing a base van is hideously expensive.

Reactions: Bav
Yeh I feel like that could be my approach, get the essentials in e.g crash tested bed etc and then start trying it out and see what we need,

Yeh I feel like that could be my approach, get the essentials in e.g crash tested bed etc and then start trying it out and see what we need,
How many travelling seats do you need? Have you got/having kids or is it just 1or2 of you?

Hi, 18-20k for decent quality parts. Plus any extras such as diesel heater, windows, leather etc.:thumbsup:

2018 Grey Volkswagen T6 Campervan (T30 Model) Campervan | Skyline Pop | Full Conversion | Heater 2.0 for sale for £43,995 in Chester Le Street, Durham

Always worth looking at a few converted vans near you.

I was lucky to find a low mileage Highline to convert in 2018, and appreciate there are currently few available at any cost on the VW website.

I agree that it is better to get the spec of base van you want, then see what's left in your budget to convert than to buy a basic spec van when you might get a converted Highline in your budget.

Hope this helps.

Have you looked at this advert?

Back