conversion and the law.

Arryand1

Hi, Is it possible to convert a T6 without pop up roof to a campervan and meet the legal legislation (V1006) I am part way completing every point needed however it states:
"a high - top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof) I was doing it to get the cheaper insurance. Any advice welcome.

Hi, Is it possible to convert a T6 without pop up roof to a campervan and meet the legal legislation (V1006) I am part way completing every point needed however it states:
"a high - top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof) I was doing it to get the cheaper insurance. Any advice welcome.
It is extremely unlikely that you will obtain a "motor caravan" status for your conversion as DVLA are not currently changing class of vehicle for conversions on pre-registered vans. Some convertors are approved pre-registration converters and may be able to obtain this status. I believe Vanworx are one of them.
It will not make any difference to your insurers, go via a broker such as A-Plan and explain what you have converted it from and too.
Sit down for a few hours and read the numerous threads on here all about it.

In short, no.

In medium, no, not even if you install a pop-top.

In long, read the 47 pages @$immo linked to, its still no :slow rofl:

Seriously though, it does seem that most insurance companies have caught up with the situation. I've been looking for this year's insurance, and only one required the V5 to have it listed as a motor caravan :thumbsup:

Seriously though, it does seem that most insurance companies have caught up with the situation. I've been looking for this year's insurance, and only one required the V5 to have it listed as a motor caravan :thumbsup:
Oh, and welcome to the forum! We're (mostly) friendly, and love pics, especially before /during /after conversion!!!

My van is in conversion now, brand new panel van, and I have the V5 which states its a panel van. The best I can hope for is that DVLA change it to Van With Side Windows which, for the most part, is what it will look like in traffic.

Reactions: CAB
My van is in conversion now, brand new panel van, and I have the V5 which states its a panel van. The best I can hope for is that DVLA change it to Van With Side Windows which, for the most part, is what it will look like in traffic.
Yep, mine is van with windows even though its from a vw approved convertor.

How comes yours is not reclassified then ? Vanworxs manage to get theirs done strange
I see jerbra are now approved too

How comes yours is not reclassified then ? Vanworxs manage to get theirs done strange
I see jerbra are now approved too
Not sure Tbh, but doesn't seem affect insurance so only have to worry about automatic speed cameras :cool:

the company i bought mine off told me it'd be converted on the V5 before the V5 landed with me.

I got a letter from the DVLA this morning rejecting the application to change it to a Camper on the V5.

this company are supposedly doing one conversion a week on panel vans, so god knows how they've managed to reckon it'd go through fine and then not. you'd think they know what they're up to.

the company i bought mine off told me it'd be converted on the V5 before the V5 landed with me.

I got a letter from the DVLA this morning rejecting the application to change it to a Camper on the V5.

this company are supposedly doing one conversion a week on panel vans, so god knows how they've managed to reckon it'd go through fine and then not. you'd think they know what they're up to.
They probably told you what you wanted to hear, that’s how most salesmen work.
Black and white with a signature is the only way and then you still need to read the small print.

They probably told you what you wanted to hear, that’s how most salesmen work.
Black and white with a signature is the only way and then you still need to read the small print.
And count your fingers after you shake hands on the deal…!

Back