Considered Going Big.....tell Me It's Stupid

Pau1GTI

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all,

Firstly I love my campered t6. Still needs a pop up so this could be my reason for wanting to go up a van size to ether a crafter or sprinter (most likely) swb and high roof has really tempted me recently.

So far it's the fixed double bed and garage for the bikes that's tempting me.

But this would come at the the cost of the car sized benefits of a T6 and silky smooth DSG. It's my daily too but I only really go biking in it as I work away and don't commute.

Anyone else been tempted? Sorry if this is not appropriate on a vw site admin so feel free to delete. I won't take it to heart haha.

If I was gonna do it, the 4x4 look is smart....tell me I'm mad!

20190101_220024.jpg

Evening all,

Firstly I love my campered t6. Still needs a pop up so this could be my reason for wanting to go up a van size to ether a crafter or sprinter (most likely) swb and high roof has really tempted me recently.

So far it's the fixed double bed and garage for the bikes that's tempting me.

But this would come at the the cost of the car sized benefits of a T6 and silky smooth DSG. It's my daily too but I only really go biking in it as I work away and don't commute.

Anyone else been tempted? Sorry if this is not appropriate on a vw site admin so feel free to delete. I won't take it to heart haha.

If I was gonna do it, the 4x4 look is smart....tell me I'm mad!

View attachment 34503
I'm being pulled towards going for something bigger for various reasons too. Even more heresy though, I'd probably go for a Ducato, the Crafter/Sprinter just don't do it for me, not being able to put the beds widthways is a dealbreaker for me as it makes them so inefficient in terms of space usage. Plus the narrowness coupled with the height makes them look a bit gawky and unstable. I really wish VW had torn up the past when they had the opportunity to seperate from the Sprinter and make it that bit wider. All just my HO of course, I'm sure there'll be people who can tell me why the Sprafter makes the perfect campervan, but they're not in charge of spending my money :)

I'm being pulled towards going for something bigger for various reasons too. Even more heresy though, I'd probably go for a Ducato, the Crafter/Sprinter just don't do it for me, not being able to put the beds widthways is a dealbreaker for me as it makes them so inefficient in terms of space usage. Plus the narrowness coupled with the height makes them look a bit gawky and unstable. I really wish VW had torn up the past when they had the opportunity to seperate from the Sprinter and make it that bit wider. All just my HO of course, I'm sure there'll be people who can tell me why the Sprafter makes the perfect campervan, but they're not in charge of spending my money :)

Yeah Andy. Was thinking the same due to the width. You do get extensions on the rear panels to widen them but don't look great unless you go for the rugged 4x4 anti aerodynamic look which sorta pulls it off if you get me..

Money wise the ducatos make so much sense for useable space like you say tho.

Cheers

I loved my Sprinter, you can stand up in the back, take as much kit as you want and in my opinion they’re nice to drive. If I bought another I’d get a 4x4 too. Have a look on insta for some proper beasts

Ace Jimmi, insta is what planted the seed haha
Utility companies set them up as welfare vehicles, after so many miles these get sold at auction. Lots of them have split charge systems, night heaters etc. I’ve even seen some for sale with showers and toilets fitted. Unfortunately I did my bo!!ocks when I bought my Kombi. But one day I’d love to have a proper go anywhere camper.

I don't think its stupid for looking at the Crafter or Sprinter, a 4 motion MWB with High roof would be perfect.

I looked a Ducato before i got a mid roof LWB T6, but went for the t6 as i need to store it in my apartment basement.

The Ducato looked good with the extra width, and the fact you could buy the motorhome spec, with better comforts upfront, such as factory swivels nicer trim, and bigger alternator.

As for the new Crafter, the MWB is just under 6 metres, so still easy to park, the extra space would well be worth it.

plus the 4 motion option is a lot cheaper than the sprinter AWD option here by about 7k AUD

By the looks of it the AWD Sprinter has raised suspension as standard, maybe to allow for transfer box etc?

The 4 Motion New Crafter reduces the headroom inside by about 100mm.

I'm still looking at the New Crafter but to add decent interior extras loo & shower etc I think you need to go for a LWB. We want a front lounge so are watching IH to see how it looks. Believed to be on show at the NEC in February.

Buy VWt magazine and look what Martin Adams is running, lucky bu**ar!

Rod

You are all missing a trick here. Keep the T6 as your daily driver and buy a proper camper :whistle:

20180625_102535.jpg

The 4 Motion New Crafter reduces the headroom inside by about 100mm.

I'm still looking at the New Crafter but to add decent interior extras loo & shower etc I think you need to go for a LWB. We want a front lounge so are watching IH to see how it looks. Believed to be on show at the NEC in February.

Buy VWt magazine and look what Martin Adams is running, lucky bu**ar!

Rod
Will probably go to the NEC in Feb again this year, will be interesting to have a look around any crafters that they have on display. The way we use the T6 with the sailing, is just a bit to cramped and restrictive. It’s fine with an awning up, but we find that we can’t pitch one everywhere we go.

I think you're being perfectly logical in looking for something bigger if you're looking to accommodate a bike or two. In all my years around the race paddocks of the UK I don't think I can ever recall seeing a Transporter camper. Sprinters, Crafters, Ducatos, Transits on the other hand...

That must have terrible drag characteristics.

It won't come as any great surprise that it's better on fuel than my T6. (actually true) considering it's a lot heavier, far less aerodynamic, similar power and manual. One of the manufactures is either getting something very right, or the other very wrong.

Last edited:
That is a massive suprise! You must have the biggest heaviest right foot in the world. Do you suffer elephantiasis?

My 2017 204 DSG LWB mainly motorway driving and consistent 500kgs of combined weight with kit and internal build average 32mpg
My 2016 3lt 190hp manual, always fully loaded when in use and equates to around 4ton brick shows a consistent 35mpg

Both driven the same way, not gingerly, but not stupidly hard.
Work that one out :confused:

Back