water under cargo floor-mat?

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all,

Is it possible to get condensation under the kombi floor lining in the rear?

I have a 2016 Kombi and it has the original flooring, and no lining underneath as per pictures below.

When I pulled it back, it was wet but not everywhere. I've checked for leaks and can't find anything as the sides and carpets lining is ok.

Pics as below, any similar experiences?

Thanks all.

IMG_20190926_131603.jpg

IMG_20190926_131559.jpg

IMG_20190926_131530.jpg

Afternoon all,

Is it possible to get condensation under the kombi floor lining in the rear?

I have a 2016 Kombi and it has the original flooring, and no lining underneath as per pictures below.

When I pulled it back, it was wet but not everywhere. I've checked for leaks and can't find anything as the sides and carpets lining is ok.

Pics as below, any similar experiences?

Thanks all.

View attachment 51597

View attachment 51598

View attachment 51599

Do you have roof bars fitted? When I had the usual roof bar leak it was wet under the floor but the walls seemed fine. There was a small wet area above the drivers door/ seat belt around the point where the wall meet the roof, couldn't see it but could feel it. Looking under roof lining I could see a small drip, with water tracking down the back of the seat belt area. Try either looking in between the roof lining and the roof or pull out your seat belts and see if there is any water on them. Not had anymore issue since I removed and resealed the roof rails.

Do you have roof bars fitted? When I had the usual roof bar leak it was wet under the floor but the walls seemed fine. There was a small wet area above the drivers door/ seat belt around the point where the wall meet the roof, couldn't see it but could feel it. Looking under roof lining I could see a small drip, with water tracking down the back of the seat belt area. Try either looking in between the roof lining and the roof or pull out your seat belts and see if there is any water on them. Not had anymore issue since I removed and resealed the roof rails.

Thanks for the response Newf, but no roof bars fitted and checked the places it could be. Nothing I can see.

I take it back, found where the leak is. It is the rear seat belt for the bench seat and right above it is a bolt where you screw the roof rail into.

How do I seal it? Silicone then rescrew it? Also if I need to take the seat belt reel off, is there a certain torque it has to be tighten back upto?

I take it back, found where the leak is. It is the rear seat belt for the bench seat and right above it is a bolt where you screw the roof rail into.

How do I seal it? Silicone then rescrew it? Also if I need to take the seat belt reel off, is there a certain torque it has to be tighten back upto?

Ok, it was a while back so bear with me. If it is one of the bolts on the roof, I think that when you take it out there is a rubber wash. I filled the screw hole with a good squeeze of Sika flex 221, coated the thread of the screw as well and the washer then screwed it back in. Don't over tighten it though because if I remember right the screw isn't metal its plastic/ composite and will snap. I went to town with the Sika flex so will probably not get the roof rails off in a rush but it stopped the leak.
I used Sika flex as I believe it never fully sets like Silicon so allows for movement but if it is just the screw then Silicon should work fine.
I don't think you'll need to remove the seat belt as the water should be just dropping onto it so once the leak is fixed it will dry out.
Looking at an old T5 Haynes manual it is 30 ft/ lbs for the seat belt mounting bolt (not sure if its the same on the T6) and its a spline that's needed (not sure on size).

Ok, it was a while back so bear with me. If it is one of the bolts on the roof, I think that when you take it out there is a rubber wash. I filled the screw hole with a good squeeze of Sika flex 221, coated the thread of the screw as well and the washer then screwed it back in. Don't over tighten it though because if I remember right the screw isn't metal its plastic/ composite and will snap. I went to town with the Sika flex so will probably not get the roof rails off in a rush but it stopped the leak.
I used Sika flex as I believe it never fully sets like Silicon so allows for movement but if it is just the screw then Silicon should work fine.
I don't think you'll need to remove the seat belt as the water should be just dropping onto it so once the leak is fixed it will dry out.
Looking at an old T5 Haynes manual it is 30 ft/ lbs for the seat belt mounting bolt (not sure if its the same on the T6) and its a spline that's needed (not sure on size).

Thanks for the reply, couldn't believe it! But at least I found it a d thanks for the tip;). It is just the screw that goes into the roof as I haven't got rails. Hopefully it will stay dry tomorrow. Sikaflex and silicone here I come. I'll keep you posted on how it goes:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply, couldn't believe it! But at least I found it a d thanks for the tip;). It is just the screw that goes into the roof as I haven't got rails. Hopefully it will stay dry tomorrow. Sikaflex and silicone here I come. I'll keep you posted on how it goes:thumbsup:

I was a bit worried at first when I found the leak on mine but after a quick search on the forum I found it was a common thing. Only VW could think of putting holes in the roof that lead directly into the van.
Hope it solves the problem.

Well, in between the rain, I've managed to do the repair (finger's crossed) and also decided to do four of the other screws in the roof whilst I was at it to avoid any future problems even though there were no leaks in those areas.

Used PTFE tape and Sikaflex EBT silicone in the process.

Got some pics!

IMG_20190928_165312.jpg

IMG_20190928_165540.jpg

Just for information, same problem of water on the floor that looks like condensation but is probably a leak. Thanks for the photos, very useful.
I have the rail preparation for roof rack which has different bolts fitted securing the rail.
New set of standard bolts ordered to fit and seal as I am getting a pop top fitted next month and the roof rack prep needs to come off anyway.

Back