Component Protection Active

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I know there's an issue with putting protected headunits into vans they weren't born in, but is there a way of keeping a headunit alive so it can go back in the same van it came out of? My original has been out a month or so and I'm wondering if it could go back in at a later date if I sell the van or whether it's scrap now?

im sure it doesn't matter how long it been out . . . . . just that it pairs up with CP when re-installed.

i was under the impression that its when trying to fit into another motor/van and the CP codes dont match that you will have issues.

There is obviously an OEM way of removing/installed units from One van to another . . . . that may be via ODIS online programming, but as yet i haven't heard of the definitive answer.

With the previous T5.1 kit you could remove/virginize/transport-mode the old navi kit so that it could re-pair to a new van . . . . . . if it was removed without de-activating the CP from the old van it was effectively LOCKED from any re-pairing.

Currently sheltering in my van on a Skye campsite from the lovely wind and rain pelting us. I've been parked up not moving for last few days. Now I seem to have Component Protection enabled on my head unit with the message to start Ignition. I've tried that and also started and run the engine for a few minutes. This is the original unit from my van, nothing changed. Apologies if this has been answered but a search only found units that have been changed.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Have you cycled ignition ON/OFF number of times in a row?

Yes. Just tried around a dozen times. Tried holding power down for around 10 seconds to reset unit. Still the same. Can't drive anywhere at the moment either as still on a campsite.

I asked the question as I suspect that this could be the reason of your problem and my question is definitely not a solution.

Yes. Just tried around a dozen times. Tried holding power down for around 10 seconds to reset unit. Still the same. Can't drive anywhere at the moment either as still on a campsite.
Just for future reference if you cycle ignition ON/OFF 32 times in a row you will trigger Component Protection.
The ignition has to be kept ON for some time to clear the counter, see the video below.

• Wow
Back