Hi
I'm having my LWB 150 dsg t30 fully converted in the coming months. Currently it's a stock highline vehicle in deep black.

In time I want some nice alloys probably 18" to keep a nice comfy ride and not too much noise. To go with this I'd like some new springs to enhance the handling a bit and lower it a touch. I do not want to go silly low nor try to create a sports car handling. This camper will do motorways and A roads I have car for a more engaging driving experience.

So what is a good mid range wheel and spring upgrade option? So I can budget for these now.
And how do these alterations affect any VW warranty?

Thanks in advance

H&R 40mm lowering springs would be cheap option,

Can’t go wrong with genuine 18” sportlines

I’ve 20” on st the minute and going to change them for a bit of extra comfort

Thanks
So it looks like 600 for the wheels and about 500 for tyres.

How much to supply and fit the H and R 40mm springs.
What is the next step up from those?

I paid £600 for a new genuine set of Mk1 sportline wheels

T5 sportline s brand new gunmetal

Best I can get them for £760

86D92F85-C310-4621-A101-4BDBFEA72BF3.jpeg

I prefer these to the T6 sportlines

So wheels and tyres are likely to be 1200 all in.
What have people paid for fitting the H and R 40mm springs?
The reviews are mixed for these so what's the next step up? Bilstein B14 seem to be the gold standard at 1100 quid then plus fitting. But I doubt I'd adjust myself once it's on I'd leave it alone.
Id rather wait til i can afford it and get right rather do wrong and pay for two lots of fitting. Man maths tells me buying the better solution once is the cheaper option. Beefed up ARB at the same time.....

Thats what I did, did B14s first £1100 fitted. Then waited and swapped wheels.
I came to the same conclusion about doing it twice if not happy with springs.

I bought the gunmetal T5 Sportlines from LK Performance. Ring them quoting the Ebay price as the shop prices are higher and then ask them to fit tyres and pay over the phone by card. I found that the van is nicer to drive with 18s at the correct pressure of 38psi than the standard 17 Devonports which always felt like they were 'tucking under' which is typical for a van . I had intended to lower mine but the wheels and wider rubber transformed how it drives and 18s look fine with standard T32 suspension so it's staying standard now.

I bought the gunmetal T5 Sportlines from LK Performance. Ring them quoting the Ebay price as the shop prices are higher and then ask them to fit tyres and pay over the phone by card. I found that the van is nicer to drive with 18s at the correct pressure of 38psi than the standard 17 Devonports which always felt like they were 'tucking under' which is typical for a van . I had intended to lower mine but the wheels and wider rubber transformed how it drives and 18s look fine with standard T32 suspension so it's staying standard now.

Got any pics matey? I am buying wheels in the new year and debating 18s 19s 20s. I defo dont want to sacrifice ride quality so need to get it right first time.

I've got 40mm H&R lowering springs fitted. Cost £180. Fitting £200.
These were/are perfect for my lowering needs. I think the handling is definitely improved over the factory fitted standard springs - it just feels a bit more 'planted'
And I think the look/aesthetic of the van is also improved.
I'm running 18" steel wheels in the winter, and 20" alloys in the summer.
It works for me!

Talking about 40mm vs 50mm lowering is always hard. For example lowering 40mm on Kombi seems to be quite different than using the same springs for Caravelle as Caravelle is already lowered about 20mm from the factory? So using H&R for Caravelle gives only 20mm extra lowering and in this case it only makes sense to use H&R -50mm springs - correct?
Or is 40mm lowering kind of a mid way to go and looks nice despite Kombi or Velle and 50mm is only for good roads and fancy cars? :)

Back