Coding in a new battery

Urbanfox

Bri
T6 Guru
Hi All, I have been perusing this thread,
Flat battery
and noticed that things had to be reset if you change your main starter battery.
Does this apply to all T5/T6 models and if so can it be done with Carista rather than VCDS?
A little more knowledge is always appreciated.
Next is, what do the VW Van centres charge, cost wise, to replace the battery and reset the system?
Thanks. Bri

If you take the battery out, you’ll have to reset the one touch windows (by rolling them down and then back up and holding the switch in the fully up position for a second or so after they’ve shut) and then the clock.

If you change the battery, you’ll have to have it adapted to the ECU but that won’t be possible via Carista.

If you’re in warranty and the battery is faulty, VW should replace FOC.

Don't mind having to reset the clock or radio etc but having to go to a vw van centre to reset the ECU is a bit gaulling!!!! Oh and the Van is now out of warranty. Battery was low today but I haven't started it for abt 3 weeks but back to 12.7v after a good run today so just looking at the options if I do need to replace the battery. Gone are the days when you could just swap and change eh!!!!

Last edited:
Surely just a case of a ‘live’ change using another 12v battery to maintain the circuits? Not without dangers but possible with careful planning and thought out process.

I did wonder if I’d have problems with my 2012 skoda superb but just disconnected and swapped it without problem.

Don't mind having to reset the clock or radio etc but having to go to a vw van centre to reset the ECU is a bit gaulling!!!! Oh and the Van is now out of warranty. Battery was low today but I haven't started it for abt 3 weeks but back to 12.7v after a good run today so just looking at the options if I do need to replace the battery. Gone are the days when you could just swap and change eh!!!!

yeah, I think it’s to do with the ECU knowing the available capacity of the battery so it can charge to 80% and leave some headroom for the bluemotion re-gen charging.

Don’t know the implication of just changing the battery with one of the same rated capacity.

Maybe someone on here has done it and can elaborate.

Yeh, was wondering if that would work and can the oficinados elaborate just what the consequensis are with just swapping to a new battery without the ECU register?
Don't know what the bluemotion re-gen charging is? my T6 is an early one which is vertually a T5 and doesn't use the Ad-blue if its that?

You can swap the battery no problem..... and everything will still work.

But if you have stop/start, the ECU and energy management system record the battery type and SOC plus other metrics.

So when you replace the battery you are supposed to reset the data in the ECU too.

The only downside of not updating the ECU will be that the battery may not charge fully and nay lead to premature failure of the new replacement battery.

Cheers Dellmassive, I do have stop start but turn it off when I can remember.
So without the register, I take it the battery management system, will reduce the alternator output so the battery will never receive its full charge?
Is that correct or is there other things to consider?

Yep that kinda right....

The energy management system may have your old battery SOC, age% and DOD logged very low, so it will adjust the stop/start and alternator and regen power levels to accommodate the old battery.

Get a new battery by all means, but see if you can hookup with someone with vcds or a decent scan tool within 6 months to adjust the ECU setting.

Thanks Dellmassive, I hope I won't need a new battery just yet but things can change with the onsett of really cold weather. It may be just as easy but more pricey to go to the VW Van centre to have it done? That's if I don't get a total failure and have to use the car to get a new battery.
Thats a new battery and reset.
Thanks, Bri

Just go to local battery shop and get them to fit new battery, they all carry the kit to reset battery info as they are doing it multiple times a day

Just go to local battery shop and get them to fit new battery, they all carry the kit to reset battery info as they are doing it multiple times a day
Ah, now thats good news. I do hope I don't need to but thanks for that bit of Info.
Cheers Pauly.

Well, with all this Battery talk, I've been playing catch up on tinterweb re Battery testing and charging etc.
I must say, I haven't touched a Battery or replaced one for over 20yrs. I have been looking at 12v battery testers and it seems like the CCA is a critical test regardless of voltage. I charged my battery with a good run out a few days ago and also put it on charge but it has dropped over the lastfew days to 12.05v. Considering that I don't know the history of this battery which is above spec from the data on the build sheet that Pauly sent me, thanks Pauly, I think I will be changing it in the near future. I don't know if the original would have been AGM even though I have the stop start but I think I will go for one of those, with a higher spec than the original 380A (68 Ah ). The current Yuasa is 720A ( 80 Ah ) so something similar I think. Is there anything else to consider i.e. Alternator output which according to the build sheet is 140A. It is pushing out over 14v when I checked the voltage but I do know there are other factors with Alternators of those I don't know at this moment in time. I have yet to decide on which battery and considering I will have it fitted and programed, I may be at the mercy of what I can get locally. Varta look good but its getting one local who fit and reprogram. ECP do them but they just supply. There is also Halfords who do the Yuasa and one of their own 115 which looks very much like a rebadged Yuasa.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and looked into. I have another vehicle so its not critical at the moment.
Thanks Bri

@Urbanfox - just got an email from Eurocarparts, who are doing 45% off AGM batteries (Bosch, Varta, Exide, etc) this weekend, using discount code MID60. May be worth a look!

Well to join the throng my 2017 highline 150 has had trouble holding charge. Spoke to preferred dealer (Swindon as opposed to Bristol) who are looking into my other warranty issue (millennium falcon door lock on sliding door). They suggested VW assist as the fastest option. Phoned and they promptly sent AA out. He ran checks and said Moll battery was knackered. Had kit to fit one and for ecu reset but not allowed to as has to be the Silver van people. But he was very helpful and called VW and got the Silver van arranged for following day.
Following morning VW assist phone to say Bristol guy hadn't booked in but the oxford guy would be with me by 10 am. Sure enough he arrived and after redoing the tests (VW requirement) fitted a new battery, Exide not Varta like most seem to get.
Any way hard to fault VW Assist's performance (Oxford to Bristol to get battery).
Only concerned that in last month the Adblue pump has failed, the millennium falcon for lock is on the fritz (judging by the fact the engineer has a name for the part it sounds a common issue) and the battery has failed. Glad its under warranty!:rolleyes:

Statman, I was interested in your post for a number of reasons, not least because I have the suspicion that the battery in my van is 100% and will probably get worse with winter in the way. Also, with VW Cheltenham closing, I need to ID another authorised dealer service centre.

How do you find VW Swindon please? I ask as I recall that somebody else here on T6F was less than complimentary about them and another opinion would be useful. My van has only been lightly used so far and not even had the 1st service yet. Touch wood, I have never had to call VW assist either but I was interested in your comment about 'the Silver van people'. Who / what are they please?

Also what's your reference to the sliding door lock ('millennium falcon') about? I ask as I had an issue with mine a couple of weeks ago when I opened the door and it didn't latch on in the fully open position and also wouldn't close properly - I poked around in the mechanism and it reset itself. At the time, I put it down to one of those things but am now wondering if it's the same as yours and might happen again.

Last edited:
My only experience is with Bristol and Swindon van centres. Swindon were far better. Had a fault with ad blue injector and VW Assist came out, said it was ok to drive 5 Mike's to Bristol centre on the monday but don't drive it any further. Spoke to Bristol monday and they said they would only take it if it was towed in! Otherwise 4 week wait for slot. Said about VW Assist and they still wouldn't take it unless towed. Spoke to VW Assist again who got permission from VW customer services to tow it in!!!! Swindon o the other hand took the van in within 2 days for a central locking issue and when service requirement flagged on the dash before it went in managed to fit the service in at the same time. When the battery became a problem they suggested VW Assist as they can fit a battery straight away whilst dealer has to identify then order the battery. VW Assist sent an AA van initially who did the tests and then arranged for the direct VW assist guys to come out, these guys drive silver Van's in VW/Seat/Audi/Skoda livery and have extra authority to do warranty repairs.
Battery was getting weaker at turning over the engine and the engine was never charging enough to activate the stop start function on the engine, finally it lost power twice, assumed the first tim it was my fault (left something on) but second time spurred me on to call VW dealer then assist. Mine only has light use as well. Look in the engine bay and if the battery manufacturer is Moll I would say you have a problem and get it checked!
Door issue is the unlocking via central locking, ie it doesn't unlock the side door. This is the mentioned Millennium Falcon units purpose I understand.
Hope this helps

Thanks for that - it's always a good day when you learn something new!

New battery time I think. Van is 4.5 years old and battery voltage is down to 11.6 volts or thereabouts each morning. Enough to start it but you can hear it’s not right. Can you do a battery swap DIY or does anything need resetting afterwards ??

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well .....

Back