Code out passenger seat airbag with VCDS as installed swivel seat

SimonMRT

Hi guys, I have just installed a swivel seat from Kiravans and discovered I have to disconnect the twin passenger seat airbag and its not possible to rewire as it has to run though the swivel system and this is not possible. Obviously this means I have the airbag fault light on.

My question is can I purchase VAGcom and turn this off? I have been told its possible but wanted to be sure. My vehicle is a french registered Caravelle minibus which I believe is a multivan in the UK. 9 seat jobby. Thanks!

You can trick it by putting a resistor across the end of the cable

I’m sorry I can’t remember what value you need but TBH I would be evaluating the pros and cons of this, personally I think I would just keep it connected and unplug when I needed to swivel the seat ?
Could even rig up a resistor in a connector plug for when you don’t want the seat connected ?
For £15 you can get a Carista unit that will reset the airbag light anytime you need and is small enough to stash in the van full time

OK thanks, once the swivel seat is fitted you cant access the plug anymore as its under the seat so I would have to take the seat off each time. I just need it for the summer months so would like to be able to turn the light off when fitted for a few months.

Fair enough mate just though it was a good time to play devils advocate, I’m sure someone else will post soon enough with a resistor value for you, if not google should have the answer

Why can't the wire be reconnected via the centre of the swivel? Is it just the wiring loom length? If so I guess @Pauly could make up an extension for you.

Why can't the wire be reconnected via the centre of the swivel? Is it just the wiring loom length? If so I guess @Pauly could make up an extension for you.
Pretty sure that wont work. The passenger swivel slides quit a bit as you wriggle it around due to the size of it and space of it. So a wire would slice off I guess. I have just heard back from Kiravans and they also said the "official" answer is to go to get it de coded. Its not ideal and this wasn't stated on the website so a little disappointed.

Still wondering if its actually possible to de code the airbag with VAG-com etc on a T6 Caravelle, Just wanted confirmation before I bought it. I am going to try the resister cheat now as well.

It will be possible but due to the safety nature things like this are not documented in VCDS (same for abs module and immobiliser etc for obvious reasons)

New to this so appologies for my ignorance here. I also have a Kiravan swivel and someone has attempted to terminate the main harness with a 3 pin socket and the plug attached to the air bag side. OK to disconnect when swivelling but on reconnecting again, I now get Airbag error which makes me think that the main wires have disconnected under the seat. If I find and repair the break, will the error reset itself or do I need to access the VCDS?

New to this so appologies for my ignorance here. I also have a Kiravan swivel and someone has attempted to terminate the main harness with a 3 pin socket and the plug attached to the air bag side. OK to disconnect when swivelling but on reconnecting again, I now get Airbag error which makes me think that the main wires have disconnected under the seat. If I find and repair the break, will the error reset itself or do I need to access the VCDS?
better to terminate the plug with a resistor. But you will need to clear the code with a VCDS/Carista/VCP/ODB11

The airbag warning needs VCDS or Carista to reset the fault. It won't reset itself.

Final question - if I were to have the airbag coded out or leave the airbag error light on, would the airbag still function normally in a crash?

Back