Clutch Slipping!!

I seem to be experiencing this as well on my TSI. Has yours been remapped?
Yep, but I can't see how that's involved. It's not slipping when the maximum power is going through it

When a clutch starts to slip its likely to be felt in higher gears as at higher speeds there's more resistance for the clutch to contend with, the map on the van could also be limiting torque in the lower gears?

Mines very similar @Andysmee (since being remapped).
Happened in 4th on a dual carriage way whilst accelerating, managed to replicate it a few times. Does it occasionally in third but only when accelerating hard up a steep hill.
Got the new uprated clutch and flywheel in the garage ready to go in but it's driving fine for now if I drive it 'normally '.
This is with a REVO map (lower power setting).

Mines very similar @Andysmee (since being remapped).
Happened in 4th on a dual carriage way whilst accelerating, managed to replicate it a few times. Does it occasionally in third but only when accelerating hard up a steep hill.
Got the new uprated clutch and flywheel in the garage ready to go in but it's driving fine for now if I drive it 'normally '.
This is with a REVO map (lower power setting).
Which uprated clutch and flywheel have you gone for @j4ckal and do you know if it’s the same clutch/flywheel for the 102/150???

Which uprated clutch and flywheel have you gone for @j4ckal and do you know if it’s the same clutch/flywheel for the 102/150???

Helix organic clutch and Sachs flywheel, not sure if they're the same for the diesel engines, I'm guessing not.

Screenshot_20220219-094328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220219-094348_Samsung Internet.jpg

When a clutch starts to slip its likely to be felt in higher gears as at higher speeds there's more resistance for the clutch to contend with, the map on the van could also be limiting torque in the lower gears?
I don't understand this. I also wasn't accelerating, which is why it's more consistent with the original posts on this thread

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
I don't understand this. I also wasn't accelerating, which is why it's more consistent with the original posts on this thread

That is strange, so you were cruising at a constant speed with no change in incline (ie. going up a hill) and it still slipped?

Mine slips higher up in the rev range in 3rd/4th, changing to 5th stops it slipping as I guess it drops it out the point where its making maximum torque and the clutch can cope again (in my case).

I had a pressure plate fail on a Seat Ibiza at 22,000mls, we had a real battle with Dealers who tried to blame us for the way we had driven the car. I stuck to my guns and refused to pay for the gearbox removal but the sneaky deal convinced my wife to agree to cover the cost in a separate call. In the end as a ex mechanic I won my argument, a complaint to Seat got me a free service package. But I changed Dealers for further work.

The facts are a clutch should not start to slip that early into its life, it should be fixed under warranty.

That is strange, so you were cruising at a constant speed with no change in incline (ie. going up a hill) and it still slipped?

Mine slips higher up in the rev range in 3rd/4th, changing to 5th stops it slipping as I guess it drops it out the point where its making maximum torque and the clutch can cope again (in my case).
Yes, hence why I posted on this thread. If my clutch was on its way out I wouldn't be posting about it, I would be saving up for it! Read the posts at the start of this thread

Yes, hence why I posted on this thread. If my clutch was on its way out I wouldn't be posting about it, I would be saving up for it! Read the posts at the start of this thread

I of course have read the previous posts, but they say it was slipping under normal acceleration or 'some' load, not no acceleration as yours hence why I commented.

Mine is 100% related to the increased power from the remap, same as a few on here and does manifest itself intermittently ie. it doesn’t always do it when I'm expecting it/can't replicate it sometimes. The clutches are the renowned weak point so was expecting it.

You thinking it's something else on yours then, ie. Dmf breaking down or oil leak as per previous posts??

I of course have read the previous posts, but they say it was slipping under normal acceleration or 'some' load, not no acceleration as yours hence why I commented.

Mine is 100% related to the increased power from the remap, same as a few on here and does manifest itself intermittently ie. it doesn’t always do it when I'm expecting it/can't replicate it sometimes. The clutches are the renowned weak point so was expecting it.

You thinking it's something else on yours then, ie. Dmf breaking down or oil leak as per previous posts??
I don't know. The dual carriageway I was on is flat, I was moving over to let a car past and it revved freely which confused me as I was in gear. It would have had some load, but not under strain really, hence finding this thread. And it didn't do it again when I tested for it i.e. fourth gear at low speed with hard accelerator asking for max torque, as you would to diagnose a clutch on its way out

2021 T6.1 Startline diesel Camper conversion. I just had my clutch burn out after being diverted down narrow country lanes where it took about an hour to fight a mile along a single track road (where the police had also sent traffic the opposite way). Thought at one stage that the thing was about to catch fire. Horrifying! VW collected us and clutch was fixed in 2 days but said (and I can't be sure they actually spoke to the warranty department) it had been abused. I paid £700 after they had quoted a mystical £2200 (nearly 10% of the price of the van) but marked their paperwork to say it didn't mean we accepted we'd abused it. I am beginning to think that maybe these clutches are a weak point and the more forums like these talk about it, the sooner action might be taken. First vehicle I have owned where I've toyed with the idea of making sure the dealer gets to service it in order to avoid warranty problems but now I think I'll take it somewhere else as the warranty seems to have more holes than a sieve.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
There may well of been a bad batch of seals during this period or the seals not fitted correctly or even a lack of a breather on the gearbox?? more investigating to be done.

Van Buddy, at least yours is fixed. Mine is out of warranty now and the fault is returning again, so it looks like I'll be correcting the fault myself also.
NOT what I expected from the Volkswagen brand.
Hi there. Warranties are offered by manufacturers but when it runs out you still have your statutory rights. Warranties simply mean that they'll look at the issue for no cost but often this leads to a charge for work they do that, surprise surprise, isn't covered by the warranty. Please don't assume that the warranty is the end of it.

My mapped Tsi is starting to slip after 16k miles under heavy load. Overall on 26k miles, any other alternatives to the Helix version.
Do you think I'd need a flywheel as well as mileage is low.

My mapped Tsi is starting to slip after 16k miles under heavy load. Overall on 26k miles, any other alternatives to the Helix version.
Do you think I'd need a flywheel as well as mileage is low.
always change the DMF while its apart. Who done your map?

Yeah I know its one of those thats always done but changed the clutch on my 911 at 86k and the flywheel was perfectly fine. I get that its one of those whilst your there but I dont believe at 28k it should need replacing. Its a fair chunk more. By the time it needs replaced then I'll probably need a new clutch again hahah.
My map is the Revo, its only when really loading it up that it slips to be fair and is perfectly usable day to day.

Im looking at a Sacks uprated kit at the moment. Will do flywheel if its not stupidly expensive to be honest for piece of mind.

Yeah I know its one of those thats always done but changed the clutch on my 911 at 86k and the flywheel was perfectly fine. I get that its one of those whilst your there but I dont believe at 28k it should need replacing. Its a fair chunk more. By the time it needs replaced then I'll probably need a new clutch again hahah.
My map is the Revo, its only when really loading it up that it slips to be fair and is perfectly usable day to day.

Im looking at a Sacks uprated kit at the moment. Will do flywheel if its not stupidly expensive to be honest for piece of mind.
when you say heavy load? I had a discovery mapped from new, I done 120k towing fully loaded before I needed a clutch.
But definitely don't skimp on the flywheel

Back