Clunking / clicking noise.

Proberts

T6 Guru
I have a clunking / clicking noise coming from the front somewhere. When travelling, I only have to very slightly touch the accelerator or release it and this noise happens. It's been doing it for a long time but never bothered me but now it is. It drives perfect and no issues at all. Any ideas before I part with my money in a garage ?

Is it relative to road speed or engine speed, or just acceleration / deceleration?

Definitely not a nail or screw. Makes no difference what speed your going as its just a very gentle touch of the accelerator. Just had the front wheels off, and when you turn the hub when it's in the air and in gear, it makes the same noise so guessing either drive shift or box. Or just a normal noise it makes.

Not on a T6 but I’ve had driveshafts make a similar noise. Could be worn or just needs some grease to prevent the click as the shaft pushes power out to the hub.

I'm hoping it is just that broadside. I have had similar myself on previous cars. What's throwing me though is just a very very slight touch of the accelerator or release of it and it makes the noise.

Snap! (well I hope not literally) :oops:

but yeah, exactly the same issue here and I was thinking maybe driveshaft too. Mine is due for a cam belt soon so was waiting for that visit to the garage to ask my mechanic but was worried he wouldn't find the issue as it only made the noise when driving. That tip about spinning the front wheel while in gear might help him nail it down. Nice one.
If you do get to the bottom of it please post back here and I'll do the same. :thumbsup:

Definitely will post back if I find out what it is. Its been like it since I had the van 2.5 years ago but seems to be louder now and I'm totally deaf in one ear lol. Other cars I've had had the same noise so guessing it's me noticing more.

From the description it sounds like excessive backlash in a joint or spline, whichever it is it won’t get better, it could be down to lack of lube or just wear.
If it’s getting worse it should be easy enough to locate and then replace before it sh!ts itself in an inconvenient location.

Similar issue here. Went for a driver side cv joint and boot replacement (there a was a split in the boot) but the noise still there. Mechanics didn't give me any feedback on that (!)

Got another thread open but I will update here to if I find the issue.

i'm currently having this exact issue did anyone manage to figure out what was causing it thanks

Back