Clear advice for non-mechanic to help look after DPF health

Alexek

As a newbie non-mechanic owner of a 2019 T6, can anyone describe to me a simple schedule for keeping my DPF in good health? I have been trying to understand various posts on the subject but can’t seem to get a handle on how often / how far / how fast I need to drive to be getting a passive regen of the system. Also, why on earth isn’t there (or is there?!) an info light on the dashboard that tells you when it is regenerating so you can keep the engine running till it’s completed?

Is there an answer to ‘How many short journeys ( and how short is ‘short’?!) can I get away with before I need to do a long journey??’
Thanks for any peace of mind you can bring me!

Have a look at this thread, you’re not the only one to worry about this.

To answer your question the simple bit of advice I would give is that when you notice a regen hasn’t completed usually by the engine fan running after you switch off don’t then keep doing a load of short journeys which prevent it from completing. 5-10 miles is usually enough for mine to complete.

If you’ve got a manual you’ll notice the dash gear indicator will suggest to use a lower gear than you might expect, just follow this and then it will do its thing. You don’t need to be at motorway speeds, it will quite happily do it driving in 30 limits but might just take a bit longer.

Have a look at this thread, you’re not the only one to worry about this.

To answer your question the simple bit of advice I would give is that when you notice a regen hasn’t completed usually by the engine fan running after you switch off don’t then keep doing a load of short journeys which prevent it from completing. 5-10 miles is usually enough for mine to complete.

If you’ve got a manual you’ll notice the dash gear indicator will suggest to use a lower gear than you might expect, just follow this and then it will do its thing. You don’t need to be at motorway speeds, it will quite happily do it driving in 30 limits but might just take a bit longer.
Thanks so much. I understood a bit of that thread - though with technical references I tend to deduce meaning… and then look up any where my guess doesn’t make sense! Am curious to know if a Carista is fathomable by someone with my minimal level of techiness? Is it worth it?
Your own comments were VERY helpful, btw!
Alex

Thanks so much. I understood a bit of that thread - though with technical references I tend to deduce meaning… and then look up any where my guess doesn’t make sense! Am curious to know if a Carista is fathomable by someone with my minimal level of techiness? Is it worth it?
Your own comments were VERY helpful, btw!
Alex
Carista is very good value but remember there is an optional annual subscription on top.
Regarding DPF soot content, yes you can see it but there isn’t much you can do about it other than the type of journeys you make.

As a newbie non-mechanic owner of a 2019 T6, can anyone describe to me a simple schedule for keeping my DPF in good health? I have been trying to understand various posts on the subject but can’t seem to get a handle on how often / how far / how fast I need to drive to be getting a passive regen of the system. Also, why on earth isn’t there (or is there?!) an info light on the dashboard that tells you when it is regenerating so you can keep the engine running till it’s completed?

Is there an answer to ‘How many short journeys ( and how short is ‘short’?!) can I get away with before I need to do a long journey??’
Thanks for any peace of mind you can bring me!
As a number one you can get familiarised with amazing research by @mmi

As a number two you could install DPF regeneration indicator.
I already have one installed, it is OEM alike - it uses existing setup of your Instrument Cluster.
Ongoing DPF regeneration process is indicated by flashing DPF LED.
Centre LCD shows text message informing about the beginning of DPF regeneration process.
Additionally Instrument Cluster GONG is used to announce the beginning and the finish of the regeneration process.

I will post my demo video soon so you will have better understanding then.
Additionally this "DPF regeneration indicator" by @Daku is accessible with VCDS.
Desired functionality can be configured by the end user by simply selecting tick boxes.

As a number one you can get familiarised with amazing research by @mmi

As a number two you could install DPF regeneration indicator.
I already have one installed, it is OEM alike - it uses existing setup of your Instrument Cluster.
Ongoing DPF regeneration process is indicated by flashing DPF LED.
Centre LCD shows text message informing about the beginning of DPF regeneration process.
Additionally Instrument Cluster GONG is used to announce the beginning and the finish of the regeneration process.

I will post my demo video soon so you will have better understanding then.
Additionally this "DPF regeneration indicator" by @Daku is accessible with VCDS.
Desired functionality can be configured by the end used by simply selecting tick boxes.
I guess a re-gen‘ indicator light could be operated via a correctly ranged thermostat attached to the DPF?

Reactions: mmi
I guess a re-gen‘ indicator light could be operated via a correctly ranged thermostat attached to the DPF?
Well, it could be done that way but how would you distinguish "DPF" fault/issue from the ongoing DPF regeneration process?

My daily commute is 7 miles each way, this is far enough for the van to start a regen if it fancies one but not enough for it to finish, so I might end up either having to wait for one to finish (usually about 5-7 minutes more) or keep on driving for some additional miles.

Get a Carista or similar. Very easy to use and the easiest way to understand soot levels.

Well, it could be done that way but how would you distinguish "DPF" fault/issue from the ongoing DPF regeneration process?
A re-gen would have a defined period and a fault would normally persist until repaired.

A re-gen would have a defined period and a fault would normally persist until repaired.
Agree.
Another challenge would be how to separate two feeds to the same LED nevermind the complexity of such modifications.

And the main question, how many forum members here did any soldering on their Instrument Cluster PCBs?

Agree.
Another challenge would be how to separate two feeds to the same LED nevermind the complexity of such modifications.

And the main question, how many forum members here did any soldering on theirs Instrument Cluster PCB?
I was thinking fused feed to a DPF attached thermostat back to an indication LED, nothing to do with the cluster. Completely independent circuit, switched in case of need to turn it off.

I was thinking fused feed to a DPF attached thermostat back to an indication LED, nothing to do with the cluster. Completely independent circuit, switched in case of need to turn it off.
Could be done like that but wouldn't be acceptable for an OEM fan(maniac ;)) .

• Love
Could be done like that but wouldn't be acceptable for an OEM fan(maniac ;)) .
Keep it simple, most of this forums content is due to auto design engineers at VW working outside of their capabilities.

• Wow
Regular oil changes using the correct oil will help.
Hello! As the originator of this question, after one or two early replies that I understood, I realised that the conversation was no longer for me…. way over my head! But now yours has popped up and I thought I would just check if changing the oil as advised is related to keeping the dpf healthy, or to some other point the ‘boffins’ were making? When you write ‘regular’ do you mean at the yearly service or more often than that? I do make sure oil and filters are changed once a year. Thanks!

I change my oil every 8,000 miles so around 8 months between changes. Am on my second T6 and have never any issues, just makesure you complete the regens. Will be on a Black Edition next if they ever make it.

Hello! As the originator of this question, after one or two early replies that I understood, I realised that the conversation was no longer for me…. way over my head! But now yours has popped up and I thought I would just check if changing the oil as advised is related to keeping the dpf healthy, or to some other point the ‘boffins’ were making? When you write ‘regular’ do you mean at the yearly service or more often than that? I do make sure oil and filters are changed once a year. Thanks!
Speak up if the convo is ever getting too “technical” - there are many people on here who can help - don’t just let it slide. Asking questions is allowed!!!

Back