Clamp Meters

Martinf

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Any recommendations for clamp meters? They have been mentioned in a few threads but I can’t find suggested products.

Suitable for small mA measurements with dc in the van and elsewhere and also if possible up to mains ac. I’m not sure how much I need to spend for a tolerably decent one with the range of functionality I seek. Any guidance welcome.

If you wrap the conductor 2 or 4 times around the clamp, then divide the reading by 2 or 4 you can measure small currents more accurately.

these were the ones we were talking about the other day . . . . Van alarm going off at 6am

I've got this one . . .

https://amzn.to/3nd43b4

1605000080946.png

and this one . . .

UNI-T UT204A Digital Handheld Clamp Multimeter Tester DMM Voltmeter AC DC Meter: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

1605000174099.png

To use it . . .

zero the tool with the Z clear button.

clamp around the main battery NEG cable,

take a reading. (DC Amps scale)

lock the van and keep an eye on the reading.

the modules will go to sleep after around 10-20mins.

after the modules are asleep the VW spec is a draw of below 50mA. (0.05A)

keep taking periodic measurements and write them down. (say every 1min)

if the tool goes to sleep and switches off, just remove/Zero/Replace and continue.

remember to flick the bonnet catch so the van sees the bonnet closed. (so th van sees it closed and will then fully shut down the modules)

Edit: . . . . .

What do the numbers mean? :

well if you have greater than 50mA when at rest/sleeping then you are draining the battery with something other than just the Vans OEM electrics, causing the battery to drop faster than expected. ( reading after the 10-20min sleep/shut down)

Prime candidates are:

DashCams, (30mA-1A)
GPS devices (30mA-1A)
Speed Trap detectrors (30mA-1A)
OBDII plugs (like Carista etc) (30mA-1A)
USB chargers (30mA-3A)
LED lights (30mA-3A)
DC-DC charger (0mA-xxA)
MPPT solar (0mA-xxA)
anything else connected to the starter battery

what do i do now? :

start looking over the van to find NON-OEM kit and start unplugging it or removing fuses to locate the power draw.

when you unplug it you will see the DC Amps (mA) start dropping.

you then need to decide whether to relocate the power source to the leisure battery, or other.

The same applies for the Leisure battery and locating power drains . . . for example a dash cam can run a leisure battery flat after a few days !!

Dell, are you able to explain to a lay person what the difference in those meters are please? There's only £2 difference between them. Does the latter do voltage as well?

the smaller one is the newer version - sort of.

one is bigger than the other.. - - smaller one is easier to keep in van or pocket.

They both do voltage, amps and resistance etc.

The bigger one has wider jaws and will meter out bigger/fatter cables.

1605262768241.png

since this pic . . . i now have two of each size now.

why? - well its easy to hook up say 3 or 4 meters and monitor the power/current flow on say a DC-DC install. (power in, power out, trigger & remote etc etc)

or battery charging, (charging current going into the battery)

or solar system. (current from panel/s in and power out to battery)

they are very versatile meters.

1605263183940.png

Last edited:
here is two in the van now. . . .

1605263701136.png

they will both fit around the main NEG battery cables. . . . but the larger clamp is easier to clamp on.

1605263734558.png

the smaller one will still fit on the main NEG.

1605263769365.png

BUT . . . ONLY the larger clamp will fit around both all the main POS cables . . .

1605263826389.png

Fanks Dell.......man I AM so so excited.my new.......... brand new.............. no expense spared lovely jubly incredibly powerful all singing all dancing...........( drum roll,lmao I can do that) roamer battery is here

I got sweets and handles I can't use to get in SB but look swanky an everyfing :waving::waving::waving::mexican wave:

ha ha rock on roll:D

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Back