Circuit Breaker to isolate leisure components?

adibell

Hello,

I was considering using one of these instead of a MIDI fuse coming from my Leisure battery to the main fusebox for the leisure circuit, my thinking being that I can manually open the breaker and remove the need for a separate isolator switch if I want to disengage my camper electrics.

51KLhXJu5zL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Keenso 50A Circuit Breaker

I've not seen (/noticed!) anyone else doing this however, so wondered if anyone would recommend against it?

Adi

That would work fine.
A midi fuse is only a safety feature and is only there incase the battery cable touches something. If you're mounting the distribution fuse board next to the battery, you probably don't need one. I always add a midi fuse in next to the battery becasue they are cheap and a good safety feature. That circuit breaker would work jut as well.

Tidy, thanks!

The one I was looked at originally had no reviews (only a 1*, 3* and 5* rating), and another one (wrong amperage for me but same make as the first one) actually had pretty poor reviews (people saying it didn't work etc)....hence why I decided to post. Typed out the post, went to get a picture and found the one I linked, so actually felt more confident....but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway!

Cheers,
Adi

they are ok, but get hot when pulling a lot of current . . .

i used to use them a lot, but have moved over to fitting MIDI fuses and a separate isolator switch if ones is needed.

but there fine ok on lower amp circuits . .

I just pull the Midi fuse out to isolate the battery. It needs to be done so rarely (twice in 3 years from memory), that the risk of damage to the fuse or fuse holder is minimal.

Pete

Ah brill.

I wondered if there was a downside, and if they get pretty hot, then it's probably a red-flag. Well, maybe a blue flag - it's race isn't over, but it's likely out of the points.

I guess Pete's right too. An isolator switch is good and all....but will I ever really use it? I'm a penny-pinching Yorkshireman, so if I don't have to buy it, then I'll probably not bother.

Thanks all

It's not exactly penny pinching, but I am installing a Victron battery protect, which is a low voltage cut off which can double as a battery isolator. The standard version has the capacity for a switch remote, and the smart version adds the ability to also isolate your battery via the app & Bluetooth.

Often thought about doing this..... then I remind myself to stop faffing and fiddling with things that dont need to be fixed.:thumbsup:

Back