Cill Protection.

Sjacko20

Simon
T6 Guru
Whilst trying to change a wheel the van shifted on the useless VW jack and scraped the underseal off the cill down to the metal. Looking for advice on what to do about it to ensure rust protection please (and recommendations for a jack)
Damage is visible in picture IMG_20180727_064644094.jpg

Needless to say, I dropped the van down and am currently waiting for VW assistance.

The paint finish is not particularly noticable there, so I wouldn’t worry to much. Preventing corrosion is pretty straight forward, try you tube if you have any doubts.

But it’s an easy enough DIY repair £30 max. Prep and seal the exposed metal, prime, fill, rub down and rattle can away.

I’d be more worried about the jack, shouldn’t slip like that... handbrake on??

Those one legged jacks are useless on gravel..

I would just paint that spot with some tetraseal or similar shultz.

Thanks for the advice.
I’d be more worried about the jack, shouldn’t slip like that... handbrake on??
Yep, was ok until the last inch I needed to get the new wheel on and seems like it overbalanced. Was on a sound surface as well. Live and learn I guess. VW assist were there within an hour.

I think I’ve read on here about people replacing the standard scissor jack with a bottle jack - I had one on an L200 and they worked good as gold, with none of this wobbling and worrying.

I think there’s also a thread somewhere on making up a cill mould so the jack head fits snug.

you just need to make sure that the "foot" of the jack is DIRECTLY BELOW the jacking point not inboard or outboard of it,so that the jack is lifting straight up and not at an angle.sorry to see the damage but as stated above it wont be a difficult diy repair.

Back