Choose between ABT -40mm and Bilstein B14

vev.dp

Hello !

I am new here))) Most recently, I became the owner of the new VW Multivan VI, 150ph DSG, 2018y, in black. I live in Spain and many parking lots are rated at a maximum height of 2 meters. By this, I seriously thought about the changes in the suspension of my van.

Now I am considering two options:

Option 1 (budget) installation of AVT springs on original shock absorbers

Option 2 (not budget) installation of Bilstein B14 VW T5 T6 Bus Multivan / Transporter / Caravelle

The seller Bilstein B14 from Spain refused me, said that such sets do not exist on my bus, only for Transporter

I am a little bit at a confused and do not know how to do better.

Please give me advice!

Have a nice weekend !

multivan .jpg

multivan 2.jpg

I thought a multi van was effectively the same chassis, suspension as a Transporter t32 lwb, and in which case yes you can get b14's.
I'd be surprised to hear different.

From what I understand the B14 for the T32s in the UK is something Bilstein UK has developed locally. Compatible suspension on the international Bilstein site only lists the B16s.

The reason for the confusion is that Bilstein ( Head office in Germany ) dont make a Coil over kit for the Transporter . Their world wide web site doesnt list one , In my opinion The UK importer for Bilstein has initiated this model of B14 for the Transporter to tend to a UK desire for extra low cars. The problem with this is that there is only one spring rate on the B 14 s for the T 5 and T 6 models and as everyone knows the Transporter models have 4 to 5 different springs depending on the model . How does one spring fit all and still work properly ?? there are better ways to do it any way with kits having the correct sprimg rates .

Bilstien in Germany do produce the B14 kits, when the transporter kits were requested from Bilstien DE they declined to produce them as didn’t believe the market was big/strong enough to warrant the development costs so a 3rd party company paid for the development of the transporter B14 kit and now own the rights to it and distribute this kit internationally with Bilstien UK being the sole UK importer

Pauly , thats pretty much what i had said . I was answering the initial question why the Spanish Billy agent wouldnt help this guy . I have done things like that with other shock suppliers very successfully and sold kits world wide .

@vev.dp ... why don't you take the simple option and get the Eibach Prostreet Coilover's which were developed by Eibach with VW specifically for the Transporter and is an official VW accessory sold by VW dealers.

Obviously, it is TUV approved and it has a range of -30mm - 60mm

Wow, they dropped a bollock there thinking there wouldn't be enough demand :laugh:
If Bilstein had built this kit it would look and work very differently , They officially build a B 16 for the Transporter and i think it would have been like that except non damping adjustable , It would be a Plated proper coil over kit not a Modified B 8 with adjustable spring perch .

Hi folks, I am finally ripe to install a new Bilstein B14 suspension and I still have a dilemma which kit is right for my van:

Bilstein № 47-222564 ( heavy weigh) Bilstein VW Transporter T5/T6 B14 Coilover
or
Bilstein № 47-196704 ( standart or sport ) Bilstein VW T5 en VW T6 B14 Coilover

Thank you in advance

View attachment 85465View attachment 85466View attachment 85467
Assuming that the top picture is your van then you need what is described in the bottom picture as “standard/sport”

Hi guys, I'm a newbie in the T6 scene and from Holland.

B14 is a topic that fascinates me because I recently started driving with this set under a new T6.1 4Motion DSG LWB on 20" with a combi of OZ racing Hyper XT HLT Michelin PS 4S 275/30/20 set on 3.2 bar.

My concerns were with the rear spring of this B14 and how it is compressed. seemed like it couldn't handle the heavy lifting, visually (!).

I have driven this T6.1 already with different ride heights ranging from 36-39.5 cm (Background ; I am used to driving lowered cars and I am familiar with KW V1 V3 and Eibach street comfort). So now for the first time ever driving this Van with a Bilstein B14 coilover. My experience so far is that when you set the height to 36-36.5 cm in front and 37-37.5 cm behind, the car is wonderfully sharp, a lot of 'feel' during fast steering the Van, very good and noticeable contact with the road surface, giving really an impressive driving experience during taking fast corners at high speed, the boundaries have shifted enormously but - ofcourse - firmly sprung, while some of the users will find this B14 harsh and too stiff (imo personal experiences will effect/determine your personal point of view on this set).

Since 2 days now I have been driving with a tiny little higher set-up, 37.5 cm at the front and 38.5 cm at the rear. What amazed me enormously is the significant increase in comfort :oops: ? How's this possible ?

For me it's mindblowing that such a small difference in ride height of this B14 can bring about such a change in driving caracteristics ? This really intrigues with such a heavy Van. Still the Van feels fine and drives like a fast sporty passenger car, kinda :whistle: imho. Slight more imperfections noticeable compared to the 1-1.5. cm lower set-up after adjustment.

My rear spring concerns are over (while adjusting it several times and 'seeing' it's behavior) . Apparently the engineering has been well thought through after all, at least for the 'not so heavy T vans ?

I never drive with a higher total weight of 2,100 kg + 500 kg. = 2,600 kg. max. and no towing, so I'm confident this was an ok choice after all while after reading some topics on this great forum I started having some doubts. So far I'm really satisfied about the results driving this combination and also a bit impressed tbh with this coilover set B14.

The original OEM Arb's cannot keep up so hopefully H&R will bring solution fast ?

Have a nice weekend to all members,
Paul.

B14 is a topic that fascinates me because I recently started driving with this set under a new T6.1 4Motion DSG LWB on 20" with a combi of OZ racing Hyper XT HLT Michelin PS 4S 275/30/20 set on 3.2 bar.

My concerns were with the rear spring of this B14 and how it is compressed. seemed like it couldn't handle the heavy lifting, visually (!).

I have driven this T6.1 already with different ride heights ranging from 36-39.5 cm (Background ; I am used to driving lowered cars and I am familiar with KW V1 V3 and Eibach street comfort). So now for the first time ever driving this Van with a Bilstein B14 coilover. My experience so far is that when you set the height to 36-36.5 cm in front and 37-37.5 cm behind, the car is wonderfully sharp, a lot of 'feel' during fast steering the Van, very good and noticeable contact with the road surface, giving really an impressive driving experience during taking fast corners at high speed, the boundaries have shifted enormously but - ofcourse - firmly sprung, while some of the users will find this B14 harsh and too stiff (imo personal experiences will effect/determine your personal point of view on this set).

Since 2 days now I have been driving with a tiny little higher set-up, 37.5 cm at the front and 38.5 cm at the rear. What amazed me enormously is the significant increase in comfort :oops: ? How's this possible ?

For me it's mindblowing that such a small difference in ride height of this B14 can bring about such a change in driving caracteristics ? This really intrigues with such a heavy Van. Still the Van feels fine and drives like a fast sporty passenger car, kinda :whistle: imho. Slight more imperfections noticeable compared to the 1-1.5. cm lower set-up after adjustment.

My rear spring concerns are over (while adjusting it several times and 'seeing' it's behavior) . Apparently the engineering has been well thought through after all, at least for the 'not so heavy T vans ?

I never drive with a higher total weight of 2,100 kg + 500 kg. = 2,600 kg. max. and no towing, so I'm confident this was an ok choice after all while after reading some topics on this great forum I started having some doubts. So far I'm really satisfied about the results driving this combination and also a bit impressed tbh with this coilover set B14.

The original OEM Arb's cannot keep up so hopefully H&R will bring solution fast ?

Paul.
We have the A R B ,s and a host of perfect coil over For you if you would like to discuss options

Paul.

How are you getting on the with Revo brakes?

Let me know if we can assist with the suspension, we are dealers for the following companies and can offer the very best advice from our experience ;

Bilstein
KW
ST Suspension
Projekt Sensitive
Eibach
H&R

PS. when are you putting some pics up? - van is stunning

Back