Chinese diesel heater install

Bobbych

T6.1, Highline 150 DSG in conversion
T6 Pro
I have just started the installation of my Chinese Deisel Heater on my T6.1. I have tested this in my workshop and it worked a treat. All of the under body plastic covers are off and my 80L Fuel tank is dropped. Tomorrow I will fit the fuel pickup pipe. If anyone has any questions while the tank is off fell free to ask. I had to remove the AdBlu fill and vent hoses before the fuel tank fill tube would come out but it was all painless.

Mine was installed on the van when I got it. I had a Propex HS2000 on previous van with underslung LPG, neither of them are what I'd call quiet but the Chinese heater sounds really loud when outside the van, no stealth camping with the heating on : -)
I've not had it on much so only tried it now and then, the 'manual' is a nightmare and I still haven't got the instructions weighed off in my head. The digital control panel is not what I'd call intuitive. The heat it kicks out is unreal though, it's not a heater to have on during the night, too noisy IMO. 10 minutes before getting up and the van will be warm.
Good luck with the install.

So mine is fitted now and it came with little exhaust pipe. To be honest it is not that loud. I found better English instructions online and it now works well. The heat output is way too hot on full which means it can be turned down after initial heating. That will make it quieter even more.

Reactions: KR.
Bobby, is the exhaust pipe fitted with anything like I've linked to above, and could you give me a link to the better instructions?
I may have seen them but they might be worth a look, I agree it's a fierce heat at full tilt.

yes that is exactly what came with my kit and it works fine, hardly any noise really

Reactions: KR.
i can take a picture of it installed or a video to show the sound tomorrow?

It come with an installation bracket which is a bit naff so i bought a webasto one, needed the holes filing a bit but worked out great.

Do these heaters come with the appropriate CE certificates etc. and can those certificates be verified?

I‘ve just seen a £19 camping stove, of a popular design, explode in someone’s face (Fake Britain). The packaging claimed CE compliance, but was false and couldn’t be verified.

l’ll happily buy some cheap stuff from China, but nothing that compromises safety.

5KW is probably a bit more than needed - I wonder if the 2 or 3KW ones are actually any different.....?
So you've gone for external fitting - just one hole through the floor?

5KW is probably a bit more than needed - I wonder if the 2 or 3KW ones are actually any different.....?
So you've gone for external fitting - just one hole through the floor?
yes, just one hole for the incoming hot air.

i can take a picture of it installed or a video to show the sound tomorrow?

Bobby, I've bought the silencer but it won't do any harm to see how you've fitted it, so yes please.
If you've got a link to those instructions that would be helpful, I'd like a print out to work from until it's ingrained, looking at your link my control panel is the same, although there is a slight difference in the actual heater itself.

Do these heaters come with the appropriate CE certificates etc. and can those certificates be verified?

I‘ve just seen a £19 camping stove, of a popular design, explode in someone’s face (Fake Britain). The packaging claimed CE compliance, but was false and couldn’t be verified.

l’ll happily buy some cheap stuff from China, but nothing that compromises safety.
They don’t have the CE mark, I’ve been on the FB forum “Chinese heaters” and predominantly they are pretty good bar the odd one not working right. That said I feel the same as you, if it’s not got the required certification then I wouldn’t be putting it on a van where my family sleep but each to their own for sure.

They don’t have the CE mark, I’ve been on the FB forum “Chinese heaters” and predominantly they are pretty good bar the odd one not working right. That said I feel the same as you, if it’s not got the required certification then I wouldn’t be putting it on a van where my family sleep but each to their own for sure.
Agree. My intention was just to make people aware so they can make informed decisions.

I have already fitted a Chinese diesel heater with a small tank inside the vehicle. I have now bought a pick up pipe so I can pickup from sender unit. I have two questions and would appreciate advice. I know many people have down this mod so I guess it's ok to fit a pickup to the sender unit after dropping tank.
Q1. I have read that the VW T6 fuel system is pressurised; will fitting the pick up pipe on the sender unit cause any issues? i.e is the fuel in the tank pressurised and will fuel be forced into the diesel heater hose
Q2 Is it OK to route the fuel line from the sender unit above the heat shield...just concerned that the fuel line to the Chinese heater would be above the exhaust?
Q3 When the fuel low warning light comes on how much fuel is left in the tank (just want as little fuel in the tank before I lower it)

Thanks for any advice.

The tank isn't pressurized, only the pipe from the pump. The heater pickup hangs independently. I forget the length, but you cut it so that the end is at around the 1/4 fill height. There are photo's on the web showing the required bending and length. On the T5 there's an existing pipe run moulded into the tank for the heater fuel pipe.

Q2 - you can run it down on the left and across and up along the chassis between the two tubes - this routes the fuel line away from the heat from the exhaust.
I fitted my own Webasto Evo40 this way and there are no problems with this route. Fit the pump close to the heater so that it pumps upwards or level as a minimum.
Then throw the heap of junk in the bin! :D

Back