Cheapest Pop Top

VW Volkswagen T5/T6 Transporter Elevating/Pop-top Roof Supply Only | eBay

Hi folks.... Waiting on my new th6 highline van this week hopefully nut in meantime just pricing and preparing to buy for conversion... Obviously trying to keep costs as low as possible and this was the 2nd cheapest pop top I found on eBay and was hoping you guys could shed some light on wither its ok or not so ok etc?.... Any info at all on this and pop tops in general is appreciated... Im not bothered about the bed board etc just yet as want to get the windows a pop top done first thing..

Your van will turn into a money pit :)
I started with a budget but realised the roof and windows were serious “Infrastructure” so should be invested in accordingly.
It’s easy to replace and upgrade other stuff later when funds allow but not the roof / windows.

Your van will turn into a money pit :)
I started with a budget but realised the roof and windows were serious “Infrastructure” so should be invested in accordingly.
It’s easy to replace and upgrade other stuff later when funds allow but not the roof / windows.
Heya thanks for advice.... Yea I've been looking around and see that this is an expensive job... I'll do it bit by bit but was wanting to get the pip top and the windows done first then build off of that.... Any advice about a Poptop would be helpfull... Im not concerned about the fitting as me and a friend will sort that but want to make sure the pop top and windows r ok and value for money.... There's a Company I see that dome tue pop top for £1200.... I posted a pic of the van in the post above...

Found this thread and a bit out of date.
For anyone going the pop top route. Or who have had a pop top installed please share your experiences.
Some companies I have found. I don't know of their engineering skills or qualifications. How does a pop top effect the insurance ,before or following an RTA? Would an insurance company employ a recognised qualified engineer to determine costs / strengths / weakness etc.
Is there such a qualification that you must have, in order not to breach Construction and Use Regulations?
www.autoshops.co.uk
www.rappotopps.com
vandoc conversions
www.cjvans.co.uk
www.westdubs.co.uk
www.cmccampers.co.uk
www.reimo.com/en/download-catalogues
www.summitmotorhomes.co.uk
www.vanconcepts.co.uk
Non of the above are in any way better because they are at the top etc, just lazy in listing.;)

Are these tops, all the same, as in someone made the first and then others bought one to make their own mould and then manufacture. Imagine that would be a breach of copyright / patent etc. Would suttle changes make a difference and how do you know if it's gone from good to worse?

Found this thread and a bit out of date.
For anyone going the pop top route. Or who have had a pop top installed please share your experiences.
Some companies I have found. I don't know of their engineering skills or qualifications. How does a pop top effect the insurance ,before or following an RTA? Would an insurance company employ a recognized qualified engineer to determine costs / strengths / weakness etc.
Is there such a qualification that you must have, in order not to breach Construction and Use Regulations?
www.autoshops.co.uk
www.rappotopps.com
vandoc conversions
www.cjvans.co.uk
www.westdubs.co.uk
www.cmccampers.co.uk
www.reimo.com/en/download-catalogues
www.summitmotorhomes.co.uk
www.vanconcepts.co.uk
Non of the above are in any way better because they are at the top etc, just lazy in listing.;)

Are these tops, all the same, as in someone made the first and then others bought one to make their own mould and then manufacture. Imagine that would be a breach of copyright / patent etc. Would suttle changes make a difference and how do you know if it's gone from good to worse?
@Merryman There's no qualification in any mods to your van. they are Not even Covered with Electrical Reg's on the 240 v system that you put in or the gas lines there's no gas tightness testing like a building has. and there's nothing in the van MOT either.
this is why you need to be so careful who does the Conversions. The expensive ones Normally are using top experienced men well you like to think

Recommendation is the best rule of thumb People think they are full on convertors after their1st van DIY turns out nice ...

Thanks Mud Digger, Motor Homes usually have an annual Habitation Check re damp, water, electric and gas test, to cover the manufacturers warranty, which is about 5 years. After which it's down to the owner whether they do the check. Most dealers insist on the Habitation Check before taking in a vehicle in part exchange.
Re expertise, I have read in some mags, that some installers were Cabinet Fitters or Carpenters. Did their own and saw a demand in the market. As most know there could be a lead time of over 6 months, thereby creating or finding a niche in the market of supply and demand
One to add to the above is South Coast Pop Tops, who are in Salisbury, Wiltshire.
The problem with writing such articles on these forums, it can lead to so many interpretations. Difficult to do a survey, as what is expensive to one owner is value for money to another etc.
I don't have a pop top, so have no personal knowledge or recommendation.
Regrettably like facebook, such forums are open to exploitation.

U V W @Merryman i wouldn't know if Dealers put a Habitation checks on any Vans i do understand about caravans and motor homes needing checks after i brought a damp one that turned into a nightmare.

Most real trades people Cabinet makers/Fitters or Carpenters, even plumbers all trades that have been trained just go that little bit further looking at what's around them would tie up a cable or move a gas pipe touching another pipe or rubbing just out of habit or not over tighten something

but to think anyone can cut the roof out of your van weakening the whole structure of the van or Moding your brakes and suspension with little or no experience is frightening

lastly no one Seem's to mention the costs of what they have paid for the work, or parts or mods they have had done in their write ups.. i don't know why
is it in case they have over paid for something.. but would warn others what to watch out for .
the only mention of costs came up on timing belt and water pump replacement.

Thinking out loud. When I used to go to car shows etc, here in the UK and the USA. Owners would be more than happy to do a write up, laminate and stick on the window or on post etc.
Would say. Year, model, modifications and perhaps supplier / fitter etc. If this was something you would be interested in. Then ask the owner a bit more. Do you think Forum members would do this?

Back