Charging lithium battery with Ablemail AMC12-12-30

Manu

VIP Member
Quick question for those with some knowledge of electronics.
I fitted my van with a secondary AGM battery, using a kit bought from travel volts. It works great, but I am planning in upgrading to a lithium battery.
The current charger is an Ablemail AMC 12-12-30E, software V1.1. DO you know if this can charge a lithium battery? Will I need to replace it, reconfigure it or do some sort of upgrade?
Thanks in advance!

I've linked in and Jonathan At Ablemail for advice.

Will update the post with a reply.

Here we go..

You can reprogram the unit with the ABB-007 BT adapter.

Or send it in to be programmed.

Contact details below.

1651651004155.png

1651650973662.png

Watching with interest as I have the same setup and would like to go to lithium soon.

I got in touch with Jonathan who explained bets to get a ABB-007 BT adapter. I prefer that to sending it to be reprogrammed, as I am having drain issues in the main battery whenever the second battery starts to run low. The bluetooth app may let me understand better what is going on…
Wildebus also sells the part, I will check who has it in stock and can send it.
Thanks for your help.

Thought I would add to this. I've had a game with my ablemail seems a few on here also had battery drain then. Mine is sorted now by wiring the sensor wore to ignition on instead as advised by Kevin at Ablemail.

My main gripe now is what seems to be poor solar charging performance. I have the BT monitor and if it is right the input voltage flips to solar with ignition off but only getting 1 amp in the blazing sun from a 160w panel!

Another battery damaged now perhaps.

Screenshot_20220718-130348_Ablemail.jpg

Vehicle Battery 18.06V!!?? Is that with engine running? I know the smart alternators put some funny voltages out but thet seems a little high to me!

Yeah it must be some glitch with their basic app. It's the solar voltage when my ignition is off it replaces the starter batt voltage

Quick question for those with the BT adapter WRT changing the battery profile from AGM to LFP.
Is there a 'profile' already set up in the Ablemail app which you simply change to, or is it a case of inputting individual values etc?

I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth investing in this BT adapter for the AMC12-12-30 in our van, or simply change it for a Victron Orion 12/12-30A for slightly more but a better BT app in the long run??

There is not a Lithium profile set up. Ablemail will send you the parameters to enter. It's not the most robust BT adapter INHO.

@BikerPa what did you decide to do?
I ask as I am in exactly the same situation. Do I change the profile of my Ablemail or just change the charger for something lithium ready?

@BikerPa what did you decide to do?
I ask as I am in exactly the same situation. Do I change the profile of my Ablemail or just change the charger for something lithium ready?
My van is currently at VW main dealer having warranty work done.
I’m not likely to see it for a few weeks so sadly not done anything as yet.

TBH the more research I do the more I’m leaning towards an Ecoflow delta mini & leave the AGM 12v system fitted to the van as is.

That’s not a bad call. I had not thought of that so glad you mentioned it. Now to do research on capacities vs costs etc etc.

Has anyone bought the Ablemail dongle to change profiles etc etc?
I think I had one of the first dongles. I use it with my lithium LB but as I have said previously the Bluetooth connection is not very robust and you need to set up your lithium profile manually. However it does work.

My LB is 5 YO and ready to retire. Martyn @ Travel volts advised me re upgrading my Ablemail etc for Lithium. @Deaky ‘s install seems to be the prefect solution for me.
Interesting Jonathan mentioned the ABB 07 version as there’s a 12 with ability to manage wider voltage inputs

6B790C5A-1A2B-412E-93C2-F7BB18E5C279.png

A big shout out for Jonathan at Ablemail who today reprogrammed my 12-12-30 and trickle charger to a lithium profile for my new battery. I popped up to their office and Jonathan did his magic whilst I waited.

Now just to locate my battery which is showing as been delivered yesterday but I did not receive it !

Reactions: CAB
So I managed to pick up a used BT dongle used once off Ebay for £40.
Connected it up to my 12-12-30 and low & behold in the settings there now appears to be several pre-set charge profiles, inc Lithium in the app.

Just cos I'm a bit cautious (rather than diving in & changing it) I emailed Ablemail & they confirmed yep it's in there now as an option.
Happy days... the BT dongle is Ok ish IMO, & the app is continuing to be developed according to them
IMG_2707.jpeg

Back