Charge Cooler - MISSING BOLTS?

robobeee

Hi all!

Firstly, sorry for the long post but I could really do with some help!

I have recently had my EGR cooler replaced at my local VW garage on my 17 plate T6 California.

Thankfully VW have paid 100% of the bill as a good will gesture which I was absolutely delighted with considering it was roughy £2000…

When I went to collect the van I looked under the bonnet with the guy who works there and he showed me the EGR cooler (which looks like the old one) but assured me it was the inside which is new and also pointed out some new pipes and clips :)

Once I returned home I had a closer look and noticed some bolts are missing and the cooler is only held in by 1 bolt and I was able to move it!!

I then got in touch with the garage and as requested sent some photos, I heard nothing back from them until I rang them the following day. They assured me this is completely fine!

I then drove back to the garage, opened the bonnet on one of their vans and it had all the bolts in there

When I spoke to the technician and pointed this out using my photos and their van he assured me this was still correct and it’s a different engine! But why have the bolts threads there in the first place?

On the photos you can clearly see where the bolts should be and that it’s slightly cleaner as if there was bolts there in the first place!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Rob

075274E4-6C57-4821-9635-E6CBBBF08CB9.jpeg

8D29EAD5-A7CC-4080-BB29-7A8F2CDAAAA3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum!

Indeed...

You don’t want ‘fine’. VW chose to design and spec those fixings so they should be present.

I would also get them to clarify what has actually been changed - I smell a rat! In my experience and what I’ve read, generally EGRs get a flush under warranty and changed when the customer is paying.

Hi all!

Firstly, sorry for the long post but I could really do with some help!

I have recently had my EGR cooler replaced at my local VW garage on my 17 plate T6 California.

Thankfully VW have paid 100% of the bill as a good will gesture which I was absolutely delighted with considering it was roughy £2000…

When I went to collect the van I looked under the bonnet with the guy who works there and he showed me the EGR cooler (which looks like the old one) but assured me it was the inside which is new and also pointed out some new pipes and clips :)

Once I returned home I had a closer look and noticed some bolts are missing and the cooler is only held in by 1 bolt and I was able to move it!!

I then got in touch with the garage and as requested sent some photos, I heard nothing back from them until I rang them the following day. They assured me this is completely fine!

I then drove back to the garage, opened the bonnet on one of their vans and it had all the bolts in there

When I spoke to the technician and pointed this out using my photos and their van he assured me this was still correct and it’s a different engine! But why have the bolts threads there in the first place?

On the photos you can clearly see where the bolts should be and that it’s slightly cleaner as if there was bolts there in the first place!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Rob

View attachment 159230

View attachment 159231
The piece you indicate is the charge cooler, not the EGR cooler. The EGR Cooler is on the right hand side of the block (if looking under the bonnet). Which part did they change? Photo of my charge cooler attached.

97F76435-5309-447D-A071-77DB48A4AA84.jpeg

Here's mine...

1654329759543.png

Here's mine...

View attachment 159262
Yours is dated 2021 Lee, what happened with the original?

edit: Ignore me! Read your thread!

Back