Tyres delaminating

Itsmisterb

Some guidance required if anyone has any views or recommendations! I'm not mechanically inclined one bit so I have no idea..
So my van had its first MOT yesterday and failed due to tyres. The tread on them is fine the problem is the wall of the tyres delaminating on the inside of the rim.
The tyres are currently 255 35 20 102 told they are cheap Chinese tyres (I bought the van with these wheels/tyres already fitted) The wheels are Wolfhart Sportlines 20". Anyway trying to find a replacement tyre in a mid range with that size appears to be fruitless.
I have found plenty when changing the size.
It looks like the best alternative is a Uniroyal 275 35 20 102 (and keep the ride height the same) or go for an AVON 245 40 20 102 (height increase of 21mm not sure about that one with the reimo pop top and car park barriers) anyone know of any other mid range tyres that would suit and would you recommend changing tyre widths/heights? :confused:

I assume that your van isn't a T32? If it is a T32 the 102 load rating isn't enough (you need 103 minimum).

What width are your wheels?
Haven't got a scooby mate, took this off the web site ?

SIZE8.5X20
BRANDWOLFHART
WHEEL NAMESPORTLINE
PCD5X120
OFFSET38
COLOURGLOSS BLACK POLISHED
LOAD875 kg's
BOREWHEEL 72.6 : VEHICLE : 65.1 SPIGOTS SUPPLIED
DAYS30 DUE SOON
FITTINGSM14X1.5MM 19MM BOLT, SUPPLIED

I've been up since 5.. reading as much as I could... its a minefield, my van is a T28 so 102 is ok ?
Absolutely. Think you can actually get away with less on a T28, 100 springs to mind (but check)? Your wheels are 8.5J wide from the info you posted.

Haven't got a scooby mate, took this off the web site ?

SIZE8.5X20
BRANDWOLFHART
WHEEL NAMESPORTLINE
PCD5X120
OFFSET38
COLOURGLOSS BLACK POLISHED
LOAD875 kg's
BOREWHEEL 72.6 : VEHICLE : 65.1 SPIGOTS SUPPLIED
DAYS30 DUE SOON
FITTINGSM14X1.5MM 19MM BOLT, SUPPLIED
So if you’ve got 8.5” wheels all round, I’d be looking at 235/45/20 personally. T28 is good.... same as my van
F2585A19-5D0F-48B2-A971-73B49227586E.jpeg

Personally from my own experience I wouldn't put a 275 wide tyre on an 8.5 wide wheel (although many do), the tyre is just too wide for the wheel in my view.

Some guidance required if anyone has any views or recommendations! I'm not mechanically inclined one bit so I have no idea..
So my van had its first MOT yesterday and failed due to tyres. The tread on them is fine the problem is the wall of the tyres delaminating on the inside of the rim.
The tyres are currently 255 35 20 102 told they are cheap Chinese tyres (I bought the van with these wheels/tyres already fitted) The wheels are Wolfhart Sportlines 20". Anyway trying to find a replacement tyre in a mid range with that size appears to be fruitless.
It looks like the best alternative is a Uniroyal 275 35 20 102 (and keep the ride height the same) or go for an AVON 245 40 20 102 (height increase of 21mm not sure about that one with the reimo pop top and car park barriers) anyone know of any other mid range tyres that would suit and would you recommend changing tyre widths/heights? :confused:

As others have said, you need 100 load rating for the T28. You could go 235/45, but that's still some way bigger on diameter than the 255/35. You could go 255/40 which is still bigger than the 255/35, but not as far off.

Something is wrong in your original message though. A 275/35 isn't the same height as a 255/35, but a 245/40 is pretty much the same as a 275/35. The sidewall height is the percentage of the width.

275 is too wide for the 8.5" wide rim. I would go with the 255/40 load rated in a 101 for the best compromise. I haven't seen the 245/40 avon in a 102 load rating, have you got a link?

I would also look into why the tyres have delaminated to make sure that whatever you fit next don't do the same thing. Did the original tyres just fail due to a manufacturing defect? Are they rubbing on the inside? Has the wheel aligment been checked recently? Have the tyres been running over/under inflated?

Last edited:

I don't know where you're getting your information about change of ride height from - Have a look at willtheyfit.com.

The 275 35 20 will increase ride height by 7mm.
245 40 20 will increase ride height by 8.75 mm with a -2.5% change to the speedo reading

Simon

As others have said, you need 100 load rating for the T28. You could go 235/45, but that's still some way bigger on diameter than the 255/35. You could go 255/40 which is still bigger than the 255/35, but not as far off.

Something is wrong in your original message though. A 275/35 isn't the same height as a 255/35, but a 245/40 is pretty much the same as a 275/35. The sidewall height is the percentage of the width.

275 is too wide for the 8.5" wide rim. I would go with the 255/40 load rated in a 101 for the best compromise. I haven't seen the 245/40 avon in a 102 load rating, have you got a link?

I would also look into why the tyres have delaminated to make sure that whatever you fit next don't do the same thing. Did the original tyres just fail due to a manufacturing defect? Are they rubbing on the inside? Has the wheel aligment been checked recently? Have the tyres been running over/under inflated?
Yeah the tyres I was looking at are fine for your wheel width and load rating for your T28, but they will increase your ride height by 16.5mm if this is an issue?

Thanks Chris, I've looked at that many today I haven't got a clue where I saw the Avon tyre now.. I have just looked at the sizes you've suggested and it looks like a Perilli scorpion verde with my budget but mind that's still coming out at 550 smackers..o_O A few on here have said 275 is too wide so I've binned that idea. The mechanic said its usually because they are running under or over inflated but he checked and they were all good, alignment is good and the tyres showed no uneven wear so he put it down to being cheap imports..

@Itsmisterb
Scorpion Verdes are often cheaper at Tyreleader.co.uk (who also generally have a better selection than Blackcircles) Unfortunately getting the tyres right isn't a cheap process, but when you consider how important they are.....

Note, all Tyreleader prices are unfitted prices.

Back