Changing bombers?

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
Just washing the car out front when two b1 Lancer bombers passed overhead, low and slow in very close formation.
These aren't the stealth bombers but the big swing wing jobs and had their wings pretty well out at right angles so just cruising down to Fairford I guess, 'kin noisy still!

I'm guessing they were probably meant to be visible, not so much for our benefit as Putins.
Being a bit of an anorak I see quite a few USAAF aircraft crossing from, I'm guessing, Mildenhall or Lakenheath to Fairford, most frequent are the tilt rotor Ospreys usually in pairs, surprisingly rapid with the blades facing forwards but don't sound anywhere near as thumpy as a Chinook.
The B52s on the other hand take an age to pass and must be pre Euro 4 diesels.

:thumbsup:
Was at Fairford a few years back & they flew a B2 from Missouri to do one pass at the show and back to Missouri.

Bonkers!

Anyone heard this boeing kc 135 stratotanker overhead?
Two B1 bombers flying around with it, but disappeared off the tracker.

IMG_1792.jpeg

@Ghost I've not heard it but in my nerdy capacity as a radio amateur (G7VQE) I've talked to the guy flying it while loitering over Poland... I was here in Northampton.
I'd have to look it up to be exact but probably September last year and he was using his 6 area home callsign which is out of California but signing AM for the plane.
I've heard him since but like any aeronautical mobile ie normal commercial flights there's always a bunch of us heroes calling/trampling over each other for the contact, he'll tell you where he's on station, no mission info but again from memory he was then on his way back to Scotland when we talked.
Off topic but many Ukrainian amateurs are still active but apart from accepting sympathy it's strictly no politics or religion FWIW I don't talk to the Russians, they can rot. :unsure:
Edit and I've just thought but he only indicated the the KC 135 not the fact that it was a refuelling tanker so more "what's the weather like?" info rather than what they were doing.

Red Arrows probably?
Back in the 60s holidaying at Lowestoft as a kid and it would have been Phantoms hanging onto an old Boeing 707.
Third edit and I don't think military stuff shows up on Flightradar?

Last edited:
That sounds like quite a spectacle! The B-1 Lancer bombers are impressive aircraft known for their swing-wing design and powerful engines. While they may not be the stealth bombers you mentioned, they are still imposing and can generate a significant amount of noise, especially when flying low and slow.

This is my Fat Albert memory….yes that’s me back-in the late 70’s

IMG_2654.jpeg

I did the last 11 years (of 22 in the RAF) at Lyneham. 47 (SF) Sqn took me to lots of interesting places and too many I'd not book a holiday too. On the subject of Stealth I was at Nellis AFB in Nevada with 47 Sqn and driving down the flight line to the bomb dump, we drove past a load of stealth fighters - we had our flight commander in the pick up with us, and she was very excited and exclaimed 'look! stealth fighters!' 'Where?' we replied, 'can't see any.....' she got very agitated pointing and gesturing at them whilst we kept up the game. It was a couple of hours before the penny dropped. Bless her :slow rofl:

Back