Cfca smoking

B.different

T6 Pro
Got the dread cfca engine in my bus and noticed that when I come to a rest at a junction then set off there's a puff of smoke. It only does it when it's warm and setting off from a junction. It doesn't do it when you give it some and it doesn't use any oil. I'm at abit of a loss as I thought the main issue shows up as oil usage or is this the early stages of a new engine? Any thoughts appreciated especially from cfca owners

Millers oil test is first course of action, £40 and results will tell you if any wear metals in the sump, especially aluminium from the EGR cooler. Second is a compression test of cylinders for wear. If it's not pushing oil past the rings then it could be a turbo oil leak or wear.

You must have the only CFCA that doesn’t use oil!
Plenty of info on here about this engine. My 10 penny worth having had a CFCA which failed and needed a new short motor. Mileage seems to be pot luck with these engines.
Check compression -if two cylinders show up with low compression that’s a good indication of bore wear etc
Analysis of oil
EGR cooler is a big issue especially versions A and B Look at the little sticker on the EGR cooler
Monitor oil consumption
Small puffs of smoke after idling could indicate oil is present and not been fully combusted. As you run up to normal revs the oil gets burnt off and you don’t see the smoke. If it’s bad then possibly get smoke on over run and when reapplying the throttle Good Luck

I've been keeping an eye on the oil since I bought it and apart from when it had quantum in it, its never used any. Its not using any now either which is the odd bit and runs sweet as a nut and pulls like a train. Also I had our poor lass following me today when it was hot and not even a puff came out so its not everytime its doing it. I was thinking it could be a tired injector just leaking abit, but just wounded what other people's experiences were before engine failure.

Given the weather just now could you be seeing water vapour blowing out of the exhaust? Just thought.
If it's not using oil up on the dipstick then it can't actually be using oil right? Could be unburnt diesel vapour maybe a problem with the injection system.
For what its worth I went down the EGR blanking route with Tafmet EGR control box. Van has just passed MOT no bother and zero issue with DPF since I fitted it (not that I was expecting any). And I sleep much better not worrying about EGR corrosion destroying my engine.

That's what is confusing me is the no usage of oil and Its not got diesel in it. Its what's making me think it an injector problem. The puff of smoke is grey not a blue colour for oil. Daft question the tafmet box is the same as mapping the egr out?

That's what is confusing me is the no usage of oil and Its not got diesel in it. Its what's making me think it an injector problem. The puff of smoke is grey not a blue colour for oil. Daft question the tafmet box is the same as mapping the egr out?
Yes, the Tafmet box is an easier way of cancelling out the EGR if like me you can't get to a place that can map it out. Works well but one downside is having to camouflage the unit in the wiring loom. I bought a dummy plug to put in the EGR for a couple of quid on eBay. If you do a search for Tafmet there are a few other threads on here.

All academic without oil and compression tests. Both will give a reasonable health check of the engine.

As for the puffs of smoke, have you had anyone follow you to be clear it’s engine oil smoke or condensation from a warm engine gas going through a cold exhaust system.

Then lastly the EGR cooler, I wouldn’t be happy leaving any revision of cooler on my engine without being blocked off. It’s a grenade with a rusty pin. It will inevitably start to breakdown, we just don’t know when.

Yeah wife followed for a run today when the engine was hot and no puffs of smoke. Its like the bloody thing is playing with me:mad:. It never puffs when cold only hot when pulling away, but not every time. I'm going to go full basil faulty on the bloody thing.

Sorry to repeat myself. But if the cooler isn’t blocked off, and regardless of revision letter, you really do need to oil test to ensure there’s no wear metals nor diesel entering the oil. Complete guess work on health without this.

Yeah going to get a compression test done as soon as he can fit me in, but preparing for the worst. Vw said they can provide me with an engine for about 3600 ish compleat with injectors and egr housing so just need to get a price for fitting and a clutch and new turbo while it's out.

Talking to Resto Resus, if you have bottom end wear due to engine oil contamination, you’ll need a full engine and turbos. Fitted youre in the £10k region fitted

If it’s definitely not using measurable amounts of oil I would still be hopeful but for sure get the tests done to check it out and plan that EGR deletion as @CarreraRSR says.
For sure if you spend a small fortune fixing it your still going to want to delete the EGR

Hopefully with oil test there’s little or no wear metals, get EGR deleted and then just enjoy the van with far less stress.

I'm finding hard to enjoy the bus atm with how much its cost me recently. The only thing that I haven't changed is the engine and box, everything else is new. I was going to give her a full repaint to cheer me up then this stared. It's like I'm married twice as they both are consuming my wallet :uh run:

Back