Carrying rigid sups and gear

huw169

Black 199 Shuttle
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So for a long time we have had a roof box on whenever we go camping to keep the wet stuff in. On the T4 with a proper roof rack on I could get a couple of surf boards up there beside it.
Now the roof bars that fit between the rails on the T6 have less room, and we are switching to rigid sups, so I have a storage dilemma as the roof box won’t work.
I’m thinking about a soft cargo bag that will strap to the top of the sups for wetsuits or kite gear. Obvs not as secure.

Anyone got any similar issues and other solutions?
Thanks

Cheers Loz
Yes, I could do that, but most of the time that will have my daughters bike and a kite buggy.
Half the problem is that my wife has lost the essence of camping and wants to take every option of everything. So I am trying to find ways to reduce my internal storage.

Found some bags on Amazon, so might try one of those. If I can find it for sale other than Amazon obvs….

Thanks

How about a narrow roof box ?

Pete
Sups are 32-34” wide, so will be barely any room by the side if I bias the sups to one side. The mounting feet of the rail bars take up a bit of room too making actual roof bar width less.
I think I’ll try a soft bag, but may adapt the straps to my needs.
Thanks

Sups are 32-34” wide, so will be barely any room by the side if I bias the sups to one side. The mounting feet of the rail bars take up a bit of room too making actual roof bar width less.
I think I’ll try a soft bag, but may adapt the straps to my needs.
Thanks
I'm assuming you have more than 1 SUP?
I use a long narrow roof box and 1 SUP fits perfectly next to it.
Wet gear goes into a divers bag to allow water out and air in on the journey back and gets attached to the top of the SUP with 1 strap and 3 bungees.

Not yet, but soon.
My new plan is to have a near vertical carrying bracket made, like for kayaks. I could then get that alongside the roof box and still open it.
I feel a sketch coming on…

Trying to come up with a way of keeping the roof box, here’s a couple of very rough ideas. Don’t judge the sketch, I’m no artist. One sup only for the bottom one as the roof box would be too hard to access.

9273BCEF-290E-46BE-BB01-2EAEAD91083E.jpegI’d tack weld, but then get a professional to finish. 25mm box section, thin wall should be plenty.
Thoughts?

Back