CarPlay And USB Port problems

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
my struggles to reliably use apple car play continue.

New cable - no change

Also I’ve noticed that sometimes over bumps, the radio turns off and comes back on .... which to me suggests a bad connection

Any suggestions.

I use car play for mapping, my own music and podcasts

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. Try for any new software updates on phone. Also know not ideal and may be just a coincidence but i found putting the Bluetooth on for ten minutes with lead plugged in and then knock Bluetooth off it works fine then after?
Dont ask me why????
I tried different leads and cleaning out my port on the phone but that didn’t solve it?

Mine is exactly the same. Sometimes it’s works but recently I struggle to get it to connect. New cable and latest update makes no difference and neither does trying my wife’s phone.

The van is in for the first service tomorrow so I’ve asked them to investigate. It’s also staying for a week so they can verify the leaking windows and replace them (yes I’ve cleaned the drain holes).

I had my window changed Also. A day to identify it and a day to put it new one in! I had the ump that they wanted it for a day to identify the leak. I certainly wouldn’t let them have my van for a week if i was you

my struggles to reliably use apple car play continue.

New cable - no change

Also I’ve noticed that sometimes over bumps, the radio turns off and comes back on .... which to me suggests a bad connection

Any suggestions.

I use car play for mapping, my own music and podcasts

Thanks
Same symptoms for me with my T6. I have been suspecting a poor electrical connection somewhere but am not brave enough to start dismantling the dashboard to get at the media centre! Let us know how you get on

Same symptoms for me with my T6. I have been suspecting a poor electrical connection somewhere but am not brave enough to start dismantling the dashboard to get at the media centre! Let us know how you get on

I had a word with the Camberley service center and they had a look at my van about 4 weeks ago. My van is a 67 plate so unde VW warranty

They updated the software and checked the connections in the comfort dash.

The system is far better now with only 1 or 2 disconnections to report

Hope this helps

Update

the van has just been in for a warranty repair AND they looked at this again.

next Thursday its going back in for a new USB port.

We’ve had a few with software updates. Always use a genuine lead or even the VW lead. An occasional soft reset of the head unit helps - Press and hold both buttons until it turns off and the VW logo appears.

Oooops. That’s not right! Never seen that. Is the multi plug at the back secure.

no idea. VW claim to have looked at it before ....
My iPhone connection has been much better since I removed a build up of compacted dirt and fibres ‘lint’ from the lightning connector using a wooden cocktail stick. I think as this was getting worse, so was the frequency of disconnection when bumped etc. If you try this, be careful not to damage the delicate wire contacts on one side of the iPhone connector. Let us know if this helps.

My iPhone connection has been much better since I removed a build up of compacted dirt and fibres ‘lint’ from the lightning connector using a wooden cocktail stick. I think as this was getting worse, so was the frequency of disconnection when bumped etc. If you try this, be careful not to damage the delicate wire contacts on one side of the iPhone connector. Let us know if this helps.

yup - tried that a long time ago.

thanks for the suggestion

Going over bumps can reset the radio !

Mine was doing this too, pretty sure it's done it from day 1, then I fitted a new amp and multiplug from Skipton and I think it got worse, but I put up with it as sometimes it would go for a week without doing it and then it would crash 3 times in one trip.

I tried new cables etc, but it still does it so I went for one of these a few months back and it hasn't reset since - CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com

This dongle does lock up maybe 1 in 10 starts, but it takes 2 seconds to unplug and reboot.

Mine was doing this too, pretty sure it's done it from day 1, then I fitted a new amp and multiplug from Skipton and I think it got worse, but I put up with it as sometimes it would go for a week without doing it and then it would crash 3 times in one trip.

I tried new cables etc, but it still does it so I went for one of these a few months back and it hasn't reset since - CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com

This dongle does lock up maybe 1 in 10 starts, but it takes 2 seconds to unplug and reboot.
@Insert Coin can that dongle be configured to connect to a different WiFi network? I have WiFi in my van that my phone connects to and uses data from. I understand that this dongle makes your phone connect directly to it therefore using your phones data. I’ve not been able to get a definitive answer from CPLAY

Yeah it uses phone data, the connection between the headunit and the phone uses WiFi so there’s no WiFi data connection for your dongle.

The initial connection is Bluetooth, I think that’s some kind of first time handshake, from there on its WiFi.

I used to run a WiFi dongle too, 100gb of data for £20 a month and I left the dongle connected in the van 24/7 for the kids, wife, Spotify etc.

But recently I changed phone contracts and went with a Vodafone totally unlimited/unthrottled sim deal so everyone just tethers from my phone now instead.

useful to know but I am hoping that VW step up to the plate and fix it

Well ... the new USB port has been fitted

only time and bumpy roads will tell if its fixed, as the warranty runs out in early September, I’ll be taking note for the next few weeks in case it needs to go back

fingers crossed

I plugged my phone into my usb socket yesterday, CarPlay kicked in, I sat there for a minute waiting for my wife and then the radio/phone disconnected without me even moving a mm.

Back