Carpeting Rear Kombi Panels..

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m sure it’s been covered but can’t find it anywhere, looking at Leighton vans, they look to carpet the rear panels then reattach them, saving them from ply lining? Is this correct, or has anyone done this? Or do you guys recommend getting it ply lined so that In the future it’s easier to add additional extras to the back of the van knowing the sides and roof are wood...
CC5DB5F2-58E3-44C2-B3C7-7932A45FB495.jpeg

Personally I would change the hardboard for ply, couple of reasons being that ply is alot sturdier material but the main reason being you can extend the rear quarter panels all the way down.
There are many companies that have these panels CNC cut as a package deal.

Use the hardboard as a template onto some 5.5mm ply @DaveyB has recently redone all his.. and think he may have used 3.6mm?.

Reusing the hardboard is alot more cost effective way of doing it.

I covered the factory panels with 4-way stretch and used hidden clips bought from Harrisons Trim Supplies in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire. It won't work if your thinking of a full conversion eventually but its a great half way point. Mines a working van that needs to be smart and its fine.

You can carpet the panels anytime you like (before or after metalwork is insulated) as they're removable.

Carpeting the panels & the metalwork separately seems the standard practice.

What carpet are people using? For those not paying someone

Megavanmats have the most popular packages...one stop shop and very helpful on the phone.

Another vote for mega van mats 4 way stretch. Did my own panels (made my own 3.6mm ply panels which are longer on the trailing edge to cover the gap that exists through into the panel void on the standard panels at the floor line behind the wheel arch), and did all the metal work as well. My tip is using a hairdryer on a medium heat setting helps shape it into the curvature.
My other tip is to spray glue both the mounting surface and the back of the carpet.

Another vote for mega van mats 4 way stretch. Did my own panels (made my own 3.6mm ply panels which are longer on the trailing edge to cover the gap that exists through into the panel void on the standard panels at the floor line behind the wheel arch), and did all the metal work as well. My tip is using a hairdryer on a medium heat setting helps shape it into the curvature.
My other tip is to spray glue both the mounting surface and the back of the carpet.

How did you find it round the windows? Many joins ?

How did you find it round the windows? Many joins ?
I don’t have rear 3/4 windows, so wasn’t difficult at all :rofl:.
The Kombi sliding door metal isn’t done as it is a nightmare to try and finish the edges nicely due to not having a lip or similar to wrap around/ in to. For the doors I have therefore just done the panels afixed to the lower half’s.
180E133F-AB67-4AD7-B05F-0E2E30E4A5E5.jpeg
I have done contrasting colours between the panels and the metal work, which I think sets it off nicely.
62B110A8-318D-4D41-8045-FA74CE383028.jpeg

I don’t have rear 3/4 windows, so wasn’t difficult at all :rofl:.
The Kombi sliding door metal isn’t done as it is a nightmare to try and finish the edges nicely due to not having a lip or similar to wrap around/ in to. For the doors I have therefore just done the panels afixed to the lower half’s.
View attachment 29506
I have done contrasting colours between the panels and the metal work, which I think sets it off nicely.
View attachment 29507

Cheers Dave, really good to have some help, I’ve just received a quote for sound deadening insulation ply lining and carpeting for £1390 so I plan to do it myself!

Couple of questions, how do you fix the ply lining back to the van? Haven’t taken the factory panels off yet so haven’t seen fixings...

And do you find condensation a problem with not carpeting the metal work around the windows?

And finally, silly question, but does the carpet stick happily over all the sound deadening that I plan to put in ..

Cheers Dave, really good to have some help, I’ve just received a quote for sound deadening insulation ply lining and carpeting for £1390 so I plan to do it myself!

Couple of questions, how do you fix the ply lining back to the van? Haven’t taken the factory panels off yet so haven’t seen fixings...

And do you find condensation a problem with not carpeting the metal work around the windows?

And finally, silly question, but does the carpet stick happily over all the sound deadening that I plan to put in ..
I fixed the panels back in using hidden trim clips. Megavanmats and Harrison’s trim sell these. If you make your own panels by templating them off the originals, just drill an 8-10mm hole in each of the clip locations. I then stretched the carpet in place and wrapped it around the edges of the panel and finished it on the back face. This means you get a neat edge on all visible edges. I then just trimmed it back so that the back of the drill holes were clear of the carpet, twisted the hidden clips into place and mounted them.

Haven’t found any issues with condensation on any surface, I have filled the side panels and Kombi door panels with lots of insulation.

The carpet doesn’t get stuck to the insulation. When you take the panels off for the first time you will see how to carpet the metalwork. Ultimately you only cover the metal work where it is double skinned, not where it is single skinned.

Yeah, making sense.. going to order pre cut panels off eBay, then I know it’s right!

Okay so, just to be clear because I’m still a little confused on a bit of this... the dark carpeting that you have, where metal work is visible on the standard Kombi like mine above.. you didn’t put anything under that carpet, no sound insulation or heat insulation, simply stuck the carpet straight to the metal work?

Yeah, making sense.. going to order pre cut panels off eBay, then I know it’s right!

Okay so, just to be clear because I’m still a little confused on a bit of this... the dark carpeting that you have, where metal work is visible on the standard Kombi like mine above.. you didn’t put anything under that carpet, no sound insulation or heat insulation, simply stuck the carpet straight to the metal work?
@CALLAKN, i’ll PM you my number, once you pop off a panel, give me a ring and i’ll talk you through what I did, as it’ll make more sense if you are looking at it at the same time.

This is going to sound like a daft question but I'm about to pull the trigger on the carpet adhesive can to glue the carpet and it struck me,which side of the carpet should I glue and which side is visible???

Back