carpet vs ply panelling

JBR80

CNC machinist
T6 Pro
Hi folks,

I'm at the planning stage with the interior of my 2016 LWB T6. I'm considering the options of carpet lining the walls and ceiling fully vs ply panelling or a hybrid of the two.

The carpet and fitting option will cost £680 inc VAT, this included carpet lined ply panels. I see the advantages of this option are that it's tidy, light weight, deadens sound and will insulate. The downside is that I'm not very taken by the aesthetics of the carpet, nothing bad, I just prefer ply panelling.

The upside of the panelling only option is that I can veneer some thin ply, V groove and cut these at work (veneer press and CNC machines), so it's relatively cheap. I like the aesthetics. Downsides are that the metal bodywork is on show where panels are not, not sure how trim around windows will work out yet, and sounds will resonate.

A hybrid of the two would be that the carpet is installed minus the pull off panel areas, and then I install veneered panels here. Downside is that I think the carpet installation price won't go down much, so I'll be increasing my workload without the cost reduction benefit.

I'd be very keen to see pics of finished conversions that have ply panels and no carpeting, and ply panels and carpet trim to help me see the finished look. Nearly all conversions I have seen have a full carpet lining, so I have enough to go on to appraise this option.

Van-Camper-Nils-Holger-Moormann-Volkswagen-Bed-Humble-Homes.jpg

I'm thinking of something similar. This is the only pic on the internet I can find.

I'm not a fan of the standard carpeted combi style but I don't want to go full blown vanlife cladding with hessian sacks and white curtains.

The veneered ply on the ceiling looks good IMO, the only drawback I see is the humidity range will be wide especially if cooking and sleeping in the van.
I would think it would need to be sealed very well.

I think I'm looking to carpet then see what's viable to panel. My concern with panelling without carpet is trimming edges cleanly. My pop top and windows are being done in 2 weeks, the fitter has said if I'm going to carpet it would be best to do it with the windows so they can trim these in....makes sense. But £680 is a big expense for carpeting that I'm going to partially cover. I may DIY this, carpeting the edges then installing wooden panels on the underside of the pop top bed, window surround on kitchen side, below windows on passenger side and below windows on the barn doors.

I visited the company that is doing some of the conversion work. I saw a finished van with full carpet lining, and it became apparent that most of the wall panels I plan to have as wood are obscured by the rock and roll seat/bed. We have agreed that they'll do a full carpet, with removable panels that I can swap out for wood later. The underside of the bed comes carpeted from westdubs. So again, I may line this later with wood.

Here you go,

Back