Caravelle Step-Light LED bulbs

Gareth1

Hi
Having recently converted my interior roof mounted lights to LED lamps, I'm now looking to swap my front driver and passenger step lamps also to LED. These are the ones that have 4 separate warm white lamps currently installed. Does anyone know the lamp type so I can order some replacement LED lamps?

Thanks
G

Anyone?

I have the unit out and removed a bulb to see if it has any markings but haven't been able to find any suitable LED bulbs.

Pic for ref:
Van-10-2.jpg

Ah, you mean Caravelle step-lights. Cali’s have them too. But van ones are usually small oblong shaped lights similar to the footwell size.

@Pauly might recall a brand, as he supplied me LEDs when I bought step-lights through the late Forum Shop

So it looks like the OE bulb spec is W2x4.6d capless.

I've been looking at LED equivalents but the ones coming up seem expensive, as in circa £4 per bulb. For such a tiny bulb this seems dear.

Search 286 led you will find loads
Avoid the circuit board looking ones as they don’t fit , in my experience I found none of the LED lamps fit in the conventional way (ie in the lamp holder tray from the rear) but require you to split the light fitting in half (use two small flat screwdrivers doing a clip at a time) and fit them that way, just remember to power up before refitting as it’s 50/50 if the polarity is correct and they work

Search 286 led you will find loads
Avoid the circuit board looking ones as they don’t fit , in my experience I found none of the LED lamps fit in the conventional way (ie in the lamp holder tray from the rear) but require you to split the light fitting in half (use two small flat screwdrivers doing a clip at a time) and fit them that way, just remember to power up before refitting as it’s 50/50 if the polarity is correct and they work

Thanks!

The ones I have linked above work just fine.
It's necessary to take the whole light fitting apart though to fit them - fiddly but easy to do - as the head of each bulb is too big to fit through the hole in the light fitting.
As Pauly pointed out - check they work before you put everything back together as the orientation of the bulb in the holder changes the polarity.

Why do none of these bulbs work for me.
Tried x2 different type of led bulbs, same as suggested in earlier post. Every time I try a bulb all go out then get error code about terminal 30 ground to earth.
mines a T5.1 caravelle if that matters!

It's because of the PCB shorts them out, you have to scrape off a tab on each side for it to work (someone on the vwcalifornia forum told me)

Just upgraded all the bulbs in my van to led ones and just checked the Caravelle door steps and they have 4 x tiny bulbs in each one, can these be changed to led?

The buld replacement is LED for bulb:
- W1,2W
- T5/R5
a lot of options on ebay/ali.

However I'm looking for sth like LED module not single bulb replacement. Has anyone saw something like this? Maybe with strip?

Back