Caravelle rails - Putting Ply floor on top of standard Shuttle flooring - anyone done it?

Jane343

VIP Member
Evening, we are looking to put Caravelle rails in our LWB Shuttle. The conversion company have recommended putting a plywood floor on top of the current floor - has anyone else done this and has it worked out OK?
sorry if this is in a post somewhere - I have looked extensively but not been able to find the answer - thanks muchly, Jane

It’s been done, here’s one result from a Search.
It will certainly be quieter than not having the floor underneath.

Thanks DXX - I had trawled the forum and seen this post but didn't realise that they had put the ply on top. Convertors don't really want to modify B pillar trim on the Shuttle to fit the deeper step so are suggesting an aluminium trim to cover ply floor edge. Will show them the photos from this post and see what they think.
Thanks again

Thanks DXX - I had trawled the forum and seen this post but didn't realise that they had put the ply on top. Convertors don't really want to modify B pillar trim on the Shuttle to fit the deeper step so are suggesting an aluminium trim to cover ply floor edge. Will show them the photos from this post and see what they think.
Thanks again
Tell the converters it’s your van, and fit it properly! Aluminium trim is a timesaving bodge.

(my apologies for grumpy mood, I’ve had a few encounters today with alleged professionals doing a terrible job, and reminding me why I’m doing it myself as far as possible).

Reactions: DXX
Thanks again
Who are the converters?

Nothing wrong with a bit of grumpiness!
They are not full conversion company and fairly new in business, hence me wanting to double check some of their recommendations They are just doing rails, floor and MSCraft seat swivel for us
We have already got West Dubs to do roof
I understand that the Shuttle has extra trim in B pillar and he was def not keen to modify the trim!

View attachment 166974
I cut my 12mm floor back so I didn't have to modify the B pillar trim.

You can see part of the rear floor mat but as it matches the front floor mat it looks fine.

The floor is oem floor mat then 12mm ply, then 2mm Altro flooring this worked out ok when fitting the california rail trims.

fairly new in business
Everybody has to start somewhere but much better they practice on someone elses van

Back