Caravelle Owners - Continental ContiEcoContact 235/55/r17 103 safety recall

LakesT6

Caravelle Exec 150 DSG
T6 Guru
Spotted this on FB and thought it was worth sharing on here. Continental ContiEcoContact 5 tyres which were fitted to Aracaju wheels on Multivan and Caravelle models are being replaced FOC by Continental.

If the tyres are OE then the replacements are being done through the VWCV dealer network. I was hoping I’d be able to use my local tyre shop.

DOT serial number / production date: DOT CN 7AD72Y 4015 until 0221​

More info here Tyre Identification

Last edited:
Mine are to be replaced too - tyre change was booked in at the same time as a service mid-Jan. However, no sign of any tyres and dealer still clueless as to when any may turn up....! Surely Continental have other tyres they could provide????

Welcome to the forum @JamieBus.
I presume that because it’s a voluntary exchange rather than a recall that Continental will do it on their own terms. It might be worth a phone call to the Continental UK technical department to chase it up.

I have sent them an email to enquire. administrator.technical@conti.de

Last edited:
My tyres match so I have contracted my local VW dealer so will see what they say.
Would never have known if not for this forum so thanks for posting.

Vw dealership said they checked the tyres at recent visit and they do not need to be replaced. Recall does mention ‘affected tyres’ so does that mean not all tyres in that date group are an issue or does it mean tyres in that date group when referring to ‘affected tyres’ - not sure. According to what I’ve been told it is the former.

From what I understand all tyres that fit the below criteria are affected. I called Continental UK and the chap asked me to email the tech department a photo of each tyre. They got back in touch to say that because the tyres are OE that they would have to replaced through the dealer network.
Product lineDOT serial number
ContiEcoContact 5, size 235/55 R 17 103 H XLCN 7AD72Y 4015 until 0221

Interesting - my tyres match all the figures you have listed and fall within that date range. To me continental website implies all tyres in that range should be replaced but then like I said ‘affected tyres’ does create some ambiguity.

Perhaps your dealer is wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time. If the tyres match the criteria then I can’t see how the dealer can differentiate between an affected tyre and a non affected tyre. They can only be identified by the codes.

Perhaps your dealer is wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time. If the tyres match the criteria then I can’t see how the dealer can differentiate between an affected tyre and a non affected tyre. They can only be identified by the codes.
Good point - will have to follow up to make sure. Thanks for feedback

Back