Caravelle door cards catching 10j rears

Dracs

VIP Member
Just a warning , I was told in good faith that my 3SDM. 0.04 10J wheels would fit my 17 Caravelle . I had them powder coated starlight dark copper , Fitted them , looked the n.ts , then tried the sliding door - Damn!
I then proceeded to pack out the doors to miss the tyres, extensions DONT exist and I gave up as the slider hits the finished external panel .
Wheels c/w brand new 104 rated tyres for transporters and possibly shuttles ONLY going up for sale . No Cali or Caravelle need apply! Will post later today.

Hi @Dracs .
If you intend to sell these wheels on the forum you will need to be a VIP member. Small price to pay though to give you access to lots of folk who naught be interested.

Just a warning , I was told in good faith that my 3SDM. 0.04 10J wheels would fit my 17 Caravelle . I had them powder coated starlight dark copper , Fitted them , looked the n.ts , then tried the sliding door - Damn!
I then proceeded to pack out the doors to miss the tyres, extensions DONT exist and I gave up as the slider hits the finished external panel .
Wheels c/w brand new 104 rated tyres for transporters and possibly shuttles ONLY going up for sale . No Cali or Caravelle need apply! Will post later today.

Is it the tyres that are fouling (if so what width?) or the wheels themselves? I am looking into spacers for my Caravelle on 18" wheels.

I run 10" rears, with 255 tyres on my Kombi and they are no where near either sliding door. I think a lot of the issues reported on here are down to poorly executed offsets.

Wheel sellers often don't take into consideration how low vehicles are, what suspension they are running and several other factors that clearly need to be thrown into the mix.

Gutted for you @Dracs I know just how frustrating it is to have something as critical as your wheels chosen and customised, only to find an error like this.

I've heard of this before.
Are the "door cards" different on a Caravelle to a Kombi?
Could you change those?

What's the offset of the wheels ?

Got to be the offset surely. I ran 275/35 on 10.5 rears and door was well clear (obviously closer if you have caravelle door cards, loc8 table etc).

What size tyres you running to get a 104 load rating? 285?

Last edited:
It’ll be down to the offset and the bigger door card - can you not modify the door card?

Is it the tyres that are fouling (if so what width?) or the wheels themselves? I am looking into spacers for my Caravelle on 18" wheels.
Tyres are 255 x45 x19 on stretch and yeah it rubs the tyre .i would be careful

I've heard of this before.
Are the "door cards" different on a Caravelle to a Kombi?
Could you change those?
Yes they are quite thick and boxy. It was quite an outlay for me to finally get a real Caravelle- I want to keep it original . The 8.5 J s have now gone on to replace them but aren’t nearly as retro - it was an option though!

Tyres are 255 x45 x19 on stretch and yeah it rubs the tyre .i would be careful
Interesting to note. I will definitely check the clearance to the door card before I push the button on spacers!

Yeah I would , the wheels are 3DSM 19” x 8.5 J and don’t have spacers , straight fit, it is VERY close , maybe 10 mm to scraping the door card, so with the same inherent offset might just get away with 9” - just . One day I will try a 10 mm spacer . BTW I am not lowered either (well apart from stock Caravelle - @Bognor is that correct), so it’s a pretty sad set up to how it looked on 10” - and out of pocket . Hey ho !

First Post. Be gentle!!

I've just fitted some 20x10j et 35 rear wheels to my caravelle. Tyres are 275/35. When the rear doors are fully open there is some catching on the door card. Has anyone else had this?

I'm currently on standard suspension but I've got some coilovers to go on soon. Hopefully the natural negative camber from lowering will give me some more clearance.

First Post. Be gentle!!

I've just fitted some 20x10j et 35 rear wheels to my caravelle. Tyres are 275/35. When the rear doors are fully open there is some catching on the door card. Has anyone else had this?

I'm currently on standard suspension but I've got some coilovers to go on soon. Hopefully the natural negative camber from lowering will give me some more clearance.
At least that’s more desirable than the door card rubbing on the wheel arch like mine sometimes do. Not much help for you though. You can adjust them a little bit from the bottom slider.

First Post. Be gentle!!

I’ve not personally had this problem as yet but I’ve read up on the forum ( plenty of posts) that some staggered sets up require the door card to be modified on caravelle’s and cali’s. I was advised that 10.5 rears et45 would need 265 tyres and the door card modified so would assume 10” et35 would be somewhere near the same. If you can live with it for now Leighton vans are designing a bracket which makes the sliding door pop out further to allow a staggered set up.
Post some pics up if possible. Would be nice to see how close they are and where they catch for future reference

First Post. Be gentle!!

If you are going to keep the wheels you will have to dremal the lower rear part of the door card. We have done this a few times and it can’t be seen and works. However with this tyre and low offset you will have to trim quite a bit. Also when the suspension is at different angles it will touch more.

We recommend and use and Et45 on a 10” rear which clears for reference.

Thanks for the replys.

The catching is only very slight and the doors can be fully opened. Luckily it's an se so it doesn't have electric doors which I'd image would jamb.

Coilovers should be on soon so hopefully lowering it might just be enough to solve it.

As an experiment I parked on a large curb and the lowered side caught much less than the raised side.

As a last resort I'll l trim the door cards.

If you need guidance on the door cards just get in touch. It’s not hard and works perfectly.

Back