Captain seat no airbag

HAL

Hi, first post so please be gentle:) Having purchased and fitted a simora captains drivers seat I realised it doesn’t have an airbag down side. My old startline drivers seat has an airbag but no armrest. Also I don’t believe I can fit armrests to my old seat. My question is should I have purchased a captains seat with an airbag or is no airbag normal? My van is a t6 eu6 startline 2017?

Hi @HAL welcome to the forum. Airbags in the seats are a paid option in the UK, not all vans will have them. I don't in mine. I guess it would be possible to move the airbag from your old seat to the new one but you'd have to swap the fabric cover too as it will have a special section of stitching in it to allow the airbag to come out. If you decide to run without an airbag you'll need to put a resistor across the connection to fool the van into thinking it is still there otherwise you'll get an warning light on the dash.

Deaky, you have stopped me stressing and thinking I messed up. So I’m fine? I’m afraid my seatbelt warning light has already shown itself! Can I purchase a resistor after the light comes on to turn it off or should I purchase something like carista to turn it off? Many thanks for your rapid reply as this is my first retro ever! I think I best better pay up for full membership as I may need more help!

Deaky, you have stopped me stressing and thinking I messed up. So I’m fine? I’m afraid my seatbelt warning light has already shown itself! Can I purchase a resistor after the light comes on to turn it off or should I purchase something like carista to turn it off? Many thanks for your rapid reply as this is my first retro ever! I think I best better pay up for full membership as I may need more help!
I stand to be corrected but I believe Carista cant turn off the warning.

The seat belt warning is different to the airbag fault. If you're getting the seatbelt warning when your seat belt is done up then you've not connected the seatbelt plug under the seat.

Once the airbag fault light comes on the dash you'll need to rectify the fault ie fit a resistor or replace the airbag. You can then clear this fault with Carrista. The fault will not clear its self.

Oh dear, the seat belt is fine plugged in. The seat belt warning light is on. I no longer have a seatbelt in drivers seat so am I ok to fit a resistor and if so can you point me how to fit this please?

You no longer have a seatbelt? Are we talking about the same thing?

This is the seatbelt warning light
seatbelt.png

This is the airbag warning light
airbag.png

No sorry, the airbag light is on. I have taken old seat out with airbag and put new seat in minus airbag, airbag light is on.sorry

It is definitely a resistor I need and then when fitted I believe carista to cancel airbag light?

Got it. So I plug in the resistor then use carista to rid myself of the airbag light? Am I ok to leave the resistor in situ full time legally? It is only the drivers seat airbag that I have no longer got since putting the captains chair in.

I guess that's a grey area. You're disabling a safety feature that was originally in the vehicle. It would be prudent to check with your insurance.

Very good idea will take a look tomorrow. Yes still have the other seat. I was thinking I maybe able to add armrests to my seat I removed but I believe the airbag would be in the way? I looked and can’t see both captive bolts to fit brackets. Think 1 bolt is used by the airbag?

Very good idea will take a look tomorrow. Yes still have the other seat. I was thinking I maybe able to add armrests to my seat I removed but I believe the airbag would be in the way? I looked and can’t see both captive bolts to fit brackets. Think 1 bolt is used by the airbag?
Good luck, hope it works.

I’ve not watched it, but maybe the video in this thread will help..

Everybody on the forum has been extra helpful and I can’t thank everyone enough. I took the captains seat out and put my old seat back in. 10 minute job now I’m becoming a pro! Thanks Ads yes watched the vid and that’s what I am going to do so now waiting for armrests to arrive and fit them to keep airbag. Will put my captains seat up for sale I think if there is any call on here?

Back