Battery flat after a fortnight

pjpainter

Hi all,
2017 Highline, just seeing if anyone can throw a little light on an issue before I call VW Assist, the vehicle was purchased on my behalf in May 2018 by a camper conversion company and stood in there yard until approx beginning of Feb this year when it went in to there workshop for the camper conversion, the first time I saw the vehicle was when I collected the completed vehicle from them 2 weeks ago, it drove the approx 120 odd mile back home well with no issues.
The day after I went to start it and battery was dead flat, jumped started it took it for a good run got back left it an hour and went to start it again and dead flat again , took battery out and down to local motor factors who bench charged it over night and tested it, although it was fully charged when collected the guy in the factors said something didn't seem quite right , it wasn't until this point that I found out that VW had been having trouble with a batch of Moll Batteries and we're replacing some under warranty , so on advise from a forum member and prior to re fitting the battery I gave VW Assist a call and explained the situation , as this was just the call centre and not a technician they said they would send someone out within the hour , excellent service and an hour later a AA van turned up only then found out that the AA do call outs on VWs behalf.
The guy re fitted the battery and tested it and reported that the battery was fully charged but with the engine running it wasn't showing the right amps going back in to the battery, but because the battery had been bench charged and was showing full he was unable to do anything re VW warranty work and advised that I just run it and if it goes flat again re call VW Assist and ask that a VW Technician calls out to the issue.
After using the van for a week or so all has seemed ok until today when the battery seemed a little sluggish when starting again decided to take it for a 20/30 min run but when I got on to the open road I was unable to get above 3000 rpm decided to cut the journey short and return home, when I had pulled back on the drive I tried the revs again and even with my foot to the floor it would not climb above 3000 rpm , just wondering if the battery and loss of power are connected or if anyone can throw any light on this before the VW Assist call goes out,
Sorry for the long winded post but thought you better to have all the info

When standing still, the Engine ECU will not allow you rev above 3000 RPM and the same goes for revving in neutral or with the clutch depressed so don't be sidetracked by this behaviour.

Firstly can you confirm you have a MOLL battery as it wasn't clear reading your tale, whether that was the case, and if it is let it go flat and call out VW assist again...

When standing still, the Engine ECU will not allow you rev above 3000 RPM and the same goes for revving in neutral or with the clutch depressed so don't be sidetracked by this behaviour.

Firstly can you confirm you have a MOLL battery as it wasn't clear reading your tale, whether that was the case, and if it is let it go flat and call out VW assist again...
Thanks for your reply Loz appreciate it, sorry if confusing but yes it is A Moll Battery so hopefully it will run flat soon and I can get it fixed under warranty .
Re the 3000 rpm issues this is also happening when accelerating through the gears as well, is this normal ? sure it wasn't like it before
Thanks

Get an appointment at your nearest VW service centre and tell them your Moll battery keeps going flat .....they should replace it .... it’s a known problem

Interesting, is it manual or auto?
It's manual Loz hoping it's something linked to the lack of juice in the battery as the last time the battery ran down it was doing strange things, either way battery will hopefully be flat this morning and I can give VW Assist a call and hopefully get a technician out to at least change the battery under warranty and will quiz him about the rpm issue, will update when sorted, thanks for your input folks appreciate it

In that case it needs a scan to see what is keeping it in restricted power mode.

Hi all
Just thought I would give you an update on how things went re the battery / low rpm issues
Went out to start van a couple of days after posting and battery flat great I thought now let's get this sorted, phoned VW Assist and asked if a VW Technician could attend was told no technicians in my area so the vehicle would have to be recovered, within 90 mins van had been picked up and courtesy car delivered great service.
Had a call from the VW centre the next day saying the battery was duff and it was probably the battery that had sent the engine into limp mode and caused the rpm issue, they also carried out a complimentary health check which threw up a leaking crankshaft seal and squeak from alternator belt , they said these two faults would be covered under warranty so were fixed at a cost to be of over £1000
I was told there had been a number of vehicles in with the leaking crankshaft seal so it may be worth anyone who has a 2017 T6 to get it checked out whilst still under warranty

Back