Canopy for Day Trips and Picnics by the Sea

Susan

T6 Pro
Thanks so much to @davecdjt and @Qnapper and @Qnapper’s wife for all the really helpful responses to my query about the Wild Earth awning and the Vamoose railI. I really appreciate the feedback. I have one last question that I would be grateful for advice on. Does anyone find the Wild Earth type canopy useful for day trips /picnics etc when not staying overnight, or is it really more of a campsite canopy for at least a one night stay? I REALLY want to get one, especially after hearing such positive responses to my original query… but I am developing a (mild) compulsive purchasing problem when it comes to the van… We have two driveaway awnings already and realistically probably need to use one of these when on a campsite as we have two teens in tow… but I would LOVE a day trip canopy that slides into the awning rail…. Would a Wild Earth type canopy suit day trips and picnics when out and about, or would it be too much hassle, take too much time, and take up too much space with pegging out guy ropes etc for a simple picnic in the countryside or by the sea. I am hoping the answer is that it is perfect for day trips and picnics so that I can convince my husband that we really do need one when I make another purchase for the van…. I would be really grateful for any words of wisdom, advice and experience! :)

We have a Debus canopy which is essentially the same. It’s up in about a minute and down and packed away in a similar amount of time. Slide into the rail, a couple of poles and a few pegs-sorted. Haven’t used it for day trips, just on sites and some wild camping places.
I guess you have to be careful choosing your location on daytime picnics if you’re going to start putting a canopy up etc as it looks like you’ve set up camp and can give campervans a negative reputation.

Ah, good point - the idea that I might look like I could be setting up camp had not crossed my mind… Thank you very much for your response - much appreciated :)

If you want something you can take closer to the beach than you can get the van, have you seen the Quest Shelter? I think my one is the "Screen House Mini".
Screen Houses and Shelters

Umbrella-type "pop up", takes about a minute to put up, a couple of minutes to take down. Love mine, one of the most useful bits of kit I've got, seems fairly well made and durable.

Quest Shelter.jpeg

If you want something you can take closer to the beach than you can get the van, have you seen the Quest Shelter? I think my one is the "Screen House Mini".
Screen Houses and Shelters

Umbrella-type "pop up", takes about a minute to put up, a couple of minutes to take down. Love mine, one of the most useful bits of kit I've got, seems fairly well made and durable.

View attachment 193697
Looks very interesting. I have just followed your link to the website, thank you. It looks like a great option. I am really keen on the wild earth canopy because it attaches to the van and that’s what I have been looking for - but the Quest Screen House range looks like a great option for a shelter that I could have either beside or away from the van. Thanks for the suggestion - much appreciated. :)

Thanks @Susan, glad to help.
No affiliation, bla bla bla, but that little shelter gets so much use. It works next to the van on a campsite, can be put up on a beach, and I have used it in the garden both as somewhere to sit out of the sun and as a bird hide.
It is NOT huge - don't expect to stand up inside it, but that's not what I wanted it for.

Last edited:
Back