Can you change the struts on LWB pop top

We have a HiLo pop top, and have similar problem. Husband can manage to pull roof down with a lot of effort, but I can’t. I can’t push up or pull down the bed platform either. I really want a fixed Reimo Ergoline Hightop with our new T6.1 that we’re about to convert but my husband doesn’t like the look of them. The HiLo was very spacious and loved the zipped windows and midge nets, so we could sleep with windows undone in hot weather. If we did stick with a pop top, we’d want one with a low profile and opening windows with midge nets. Anyone recommend an alternative to a HiLo roof?
I’ve got a slimline one by Vanmax. Been on nearly a year and very pleased with it. No creaks, rattles or road noise. It takes a bit of effort to get the pop top to move the first few inches then it just virtually goes up on its own.
The bifold bed will push up with one hand. All seams pretty well balanced.

62B54343-5A3B-4F71-82CD-291E31252A87.jpeg

07F4016E-93A6-423F-8A57-FD969769FBDC.jpeg

Reactions: Ann
You may be already doing this , I dont pull our roof down with arm strength but basically grab the handles , keep the arms straight and let my body weight do the work by bending my knees and dropping lower.
My wife has no problem using this method and we have pretty strong gas struts . Always have door or window open too.
Maybe this is worth trying.

You may be already doing this , I dont pull our roof down with arm strength but basically grab the handles , keep the arms straight and let my body weight do the work by bending my knees and dropping lower.
My wife has no problem using this method and we have pretty strong gas struts . Always have door or window open too.
Maybe this is worth trying.
Hi AussieMick, we watched the Camper King video which describes the method you mentioned so it confirmed that we were using body weight and not muscle, which was just as well because we don't have any muscles ;)
My husband will get the top down eventually, but the effort is definitely not sustainable for the future.
I was able to pull the roof down on our previous SWB by myself. I'm not able to move this one. 9.5st weekling. :-D
We are traveling up to Camper King on Friday for habitation check so fingers crossed they will suggest something. I'll update Incase anyone else is having a similar problem.
Thank you for posting, really appreciate it.

Remember the weather has a bearing, as it gets hot and cold the pressure will go up and down slightly within the struts making them a bit weaker/stronger
Just be careful you dont let out to much or they may be too soft in winter
Hi Pauly, and anyone else following. A little gas released and lubricated during the habitation check. Not a huge difference to be honest but thankfully if I loop a length of strapping through the pull down straps and stand/bounce on it , then I can bring the roof down on my own. Yaay.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Happy camper now!

Back