Can the upgraded "Discover Media" system be retro-fitted in the T6.1?

Deaston

T6 Pro
I've got a Highline T6.1 with the standard "Composition Colour" head unit. With all the problems I'm having with it, I suggested to my dealer that perhaps upgrading the head unit to the "Discover Media" unit could solve the problems. He didn't say yes or no... he just made some noises about it potentially creating more problems and quickly moved on.

That seems unlikely to me. It can be specified when ordering a new van, so is it possible to have it retro-fitted? Will it cause problems?

I've got a Highline T6.1 with the standard "Composition Colour" head unit. With all the problems I'm having with it, I suggested to my dealer that perhaps upgrading the head unit to the "Discover Media" unit could solve the problems. He didn't say yes or no... he just made some noises about it potentially creating more problems and quickly moved on.

That seems unlikely to me. It can be specified when ordering a new van, so is it possible to have it retro-fitted? Will it cause problems?
Radio‘s as far as I know are paired at factory..but I guess if it has a fault the dealer must be able to fit and pair it to a new vehicle ..
any thing is doable yes it’s a hassle ...but it’s there hassle :)

Does anyone have an update on if this is possible ? I’m thinking of upgrading my standard t6.1 to the discover media if possible , thank you

I wouldn’t bother, an aftermarket headunit wouldn’t cost much more, if any, and would be 100x better.

So would an aftermarket headunit be a better investment than say ordering the discover media unit for a factory build. Would the sat nav side of the aftermarket unit also be better. Guessing the standard highline radio would have a value for resale, would it be a relatively easy process to have an aftermarket headunit fitted

I think my Discovery unit was a £1200 extra, it frequently crashed, sounded average at best and had CarPlay with a cable.

My new Kenwood has never crashed, sounds brilliant and has wireless CarPlay, it was also around £1200.

Google Maps on CarPlay or AndroidAuto are better than any factory fitted satnav with real time traffic and constant free map updates when roads are built, or you can use Apple Maps, Waze etc.

Get a price from somebody like @Absolut5 on here for your new van, they fitted all my ICE and it looks like a factory fit but sounds incredible.

Thanks Insert, my18 kombi and my20 Amarok had/have discovery unit and need a cable, like the idea of wireless connection. I may have an option to buy a factory order T6.1 so after reading this thread am considering should I just get the standard headunit then swop it out for an aftermarket. Am I right in saying if you were going to the trouble of an aftermarket unit then also consider changing the speakers as well or are the VW speakers suffice

I’m not sure what options there are for a 6.1 headunit, I think the display is separate from the ‘brains’, it’s not all in one box like the T6 and I know the speakers are smaller than the T6 so probably even worse quality.

Silent Coat the door skins and fit some door seals is a cheap/instant sound improvement. My doors close with a proper clunk now, not an empty tin can sound and even the factory speakers sounded slightly better.

As for audio upgrades, Absolut5 Audio would know best as I’m sure they’ve worked on plenty of 6.1’s by now.

My T6.1 has the discovery unit, I am not impressed. What sot of sat nav is it that you can't put postcodes into it. Thought I was doing something wrong but had VW assistance round to sort other problems I asked him and he thought I was joking. Asked the salesman at the main dealers he tried and failed.
Must be a better option on the market.

Thanks Insert, will call and speak to Ab5 this week

Cali: Must admit I too am not that impressed with the sat nav side of things, mostly use google hooked up by cable. Only reason was thinking discover media would be potentially better selling point but as I plan to keep this next transporter maybe its worth going aftermarket and not worrying too much

Back