Can The Dash Light Circuit Handle The Extra Lights?

Thegee6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’m just curious here. I’m thinking of doing my first mods to the van such as ambient door pocket lights, ambient footwell lights, ambient overhead lights and possibly ambient lighting in the plastic seat base panels.

so I’m wondering......can the dash lighting circuit handle all those extra lights??

Yes it can. I have both footwell and door pockets and it’s works no problem. I’m having some lights in the rear fitted just now and have seen what I’m having done working no problem. Once it’s done I’ll post some pictures

Yes it can. I have both footwell and door pockets and it’s works no problem. I’m having some lights in the rear fitted just now and have seen what I’m having done working no problem. Once it’s done I’ll post some pictures

@Big.mac look forward to seeing the finished article

Not my van but this is what it will look like but in red. The front is already done, it’s just the rear to go.997C1603-DD67-4D84-BF9B-14FA83E8415F.jpeg9EEE48E4-10A0-44B4-B80A-998F0CD014F3.jpeg5B43C7FF-8F65-48F6-B4A1-A3C620AB909A.jpeg

This is mine, the red isn’t anywhere near as bright in real life.

F6A0D22B-7CF5-4E73-B326-6FD74DC333A3.jpeg

417D239D-2A0D-43C2-AC7B-2880406E4019.jpeg

16221F40-B1C9-4FFA-ABBA-7B88BA1CEF90.jpeg

1FF94905-860D-444B-B772-01AA70A9A3A0.jpeg

@Big.mac

That’s exactly how I want my set up to be.

Did you use the Travelinlite footwell kit and if you did, did you agg a resistor to dim them down?

It would be interesting to get a max current load for the ambient and courtesy circuits. the ICs doing the PWMing will have a rated load and as such will age prematurely if overloaded.

@Big.mac

That’s exactly how I want my set up to be.

Did you use the Travelinlite footwell kit and if you did, did you agg a resistor to dim them down?
Yes I used the Travelin lite kit, no i didn’t add a resistor, they adjust using the dash dimmer switch. If memory serves me correctly their instructions are for fitting to courtesy circuit, I ignored them and connected to ambient instead.

I’ve just fitted the same lights to the front and connected as per the instructions to the white socket.
Do your lights stay on like ambient lights? If so, where did you wire them in? I’m wanting them to stay on while I’m driving a bit like the ones in my Audi do.

If you want them to come on with the instrument lighting connect them behind the dimmer switch next to the light switch or any illuminated button on the dash.

Grey/blue trace is +ve
Brown is -ve

I have a Carista so I will reset it, I think because I turned on the ignition with the yellow connector removed it threw up the fault. Hopefully it will reset with Carista.

The finished article. Not anywhere near as bright in real life, the camera seems to really enhance the red. I had them wired so they come on with the lights and adjust with the dimmer switch like the rest of the dash lights, but also have a switch so I can turn them on from the leisure battery when parked up, no dimmer in this mode though.

C240B95F-DEC0-46E9-9F56-72737CF39362.jpeg

84E3B454-9C87-4C51-AC4F-34BAF5899D83.jpeg

If you want them to come on with the instrument lighting connect them behind the dimmer switch next to the light switch or any illuminated button on the dash.

Grey/blue trace is +ve
Brown is -ve
Great info just done mine simple and this above information was bang on, cheers

Back