Adding Rear Speakers to OEM Headunit and enabling Fade

Yes on the standard setup on vans & kombis, there are four speaker inputs on the back of the stereos - front left/right which are used & rear left/right which are empty
You need to install additional wires to new speaker location, remove stereo and fit new cables into the empty terminals on the existing quadlock connector on rear
Heres the connector before i added my rear speakers
View attachment 379
and heres one of the wires with pin connected on end ready to insert into plug assembly
View attachment 380

Its worth noting that after connecting additional speakers in they will work but to function properly the radio will need to be coded with VCDS (vagcom) to accept new speakers and this will activate the fader/balance menu in the radio to give you additional adjustments

@shylock i have VCDS if you would like speakers coded
Hi,

where do you buy the pin connectors from please? Also what’s the best cable routs from the back of the van to the head unit? Thanks

Hi, I want to use allow four speakers and the have the fader active, I have been told I need to enable VCDS. Does the unit do this automatically, I think it might but will lose it when an amp is connected in place of speakers?

Thanks, does it need enabling, or just comes up when I connect a load? Sorry labour the point
VCDS is a software that runs on a PC, connected to your van via a cable into the diagnostic port on the dash. It isn't something that exists in the head unit itself.

You would need to connect the rear speakers to the head unit, then use the VCDS to enable the rear speakers.

Rear speakers will work when connected you just wont have the fader option in the menu until enabled

I think you’re at cross purposes here, VCDS isn’t a mode on your head unit, it’s software running on a PC with a proprietary cable connected to your OBD2 port. You then use this software to activate things like the rear speaker fader enable.

VCDS is a software that runs on a PC, connected to your van via a cable into the diagnostic port on the dash. It isn't something that exists in the head unit itself.

You would need to connect the rear speakers to the head unit, then use the VCDS to enable the rear speakers.
Thank you

Yes on the standard setup on vans & kombis, there are four speaker inputs on the back of the stereos - front left/right which are used & rear left/right which are empty
You need to install additional wires to new speaker location, remove stereo and fit new cables into the empty terminals on the existing quadlock connector on rear
Heres the connector before i added my rear speakers
View attachment 379
and heres one of the wires with pin connected on end ready to insert into plug assembly
View attachment 380

Its worth noting that after connecting additional speakers in they will work but to function properly the radio will need to be coded with VCDS (vagcom) to accept new speakers and this will activate the fader/balance menu in the radio to give you additional adjustments

@shylock i have VCDS if you would like speakers coded
Hi Pauly

Seen this thread which is an awesome guide. My mate has vagcom and I'm about to add rear speakers. Can you tell under which section the feature to enable the fader/balance is please? Many thanks. Ed

Module 5F byte 4. Change it from 2 channels/4 speakers to 4 channels/ 6 speakers.

Awesome thanks. Is there any way I can fit an amp to the existing loom, I was thinking of adding a sub. Cheers
Yes, it needs to be line level input, you can either splice into the existing speaker wires or purchase a pass through quadlock loom

Sweet so I can just spur off one of the rears to a high input amp? Thanks for the advice
Yes, but the head unit won’t recognise the amp as a load, so it won’t enable the fader option.

Hello guys,

I've just had some rear speaker from SCA installed in the rear of my T6 panel van which has been converted to a Kombi.
I'd already had and fitted a 5F 'Discover' Nav unit which was working fine.

The head unit was connected up to add the new rears as per connectors that came with the speakers and now only getting audio via one speaker in the rear - they've been swapped about so both drivers are working, but only one at a time.
When checking on the multimeter, it's showing +5v coming down the cable of the side which no audio is coming out.

Help please!

Have you connected the speakers directly to the quadlock connector or have you used a pass through patch lead?

Back