Adding Rear Speakers to OEM Headunit and enabling Fade

We Don't talk about Bruno!!! My garage ticked the 6 speaker 4 channel option for me but nothing changed regarding fader. I have an amp connected. Is there anything else I could try. It would be really helpfully for a screen shot of the settings. Any help greatly received. #Waiting for a miracle.
The head unit will only show the fader if it senses the load of a speaker at the outputs. An amplifier is far too lower resistance. You can get modules that will fool the head unit, making it think speakers are connected.

What @Deaky said...

The radio needs to see the speaker resistance to fully enable the rear speakers (eg 4ohms).

Some ppl use "high-level to low-level " Signal converters to feed the amp.

Some amps have high level input on board.

Then.you need to enable the 4 Chanel in vcds.

Then a radio reboot.(press and hold power button untill the booting logo displayed)

And possibly a reset/sleep for the settings to apply.

But as above it depends on how the rear speakers / amp have been connected.

Got any pics?

Also, how have they wired in the speakers? Some converters (idiots) piggyback the door speakers rather than wiring directly into the available channels at the back of the head unit.
This definitely happens; it did with ours. The converter were not great believers when I told them it was wrong. However they did correct the installation when I provided a diagram of how it should be done and the appropriate connectors, all knowledge through the Forum.

This definitely happens; it did with ours. The converter were not great believers when I told them it was wrong. However they did correct the installation when I provided a diagram of how it should be done and the appropriate connectors, all knowledge through the Forum.
I had to tell my converter to leave the wires at the A pillar, and then I finished the job myself.

How recent? May require a day or a restart of the stereo system?

Also, how have they wired in the speakers? Some converters (idiots) piggyback the door speakers rather than wiring directly into the available channels at the back of the head unit. It’s annoying but not very difficult to pull the head unit out to check.
Thanks for the reply. I wired in the speakers into the quad block. Then used an absolut5 harness to connect to the kenwood kac m1814. Following guides on this forum.

What @Deaky said...

The radio needs to see the speaker resistance to fully enable the rear speakers (eg 4ohms).

Some ppl use "high-level to low-level " Signal converters to feed the amp.

Some amps have high level input on board.

Then.you need to enable the 4 Chanel in vcds.

Then a radio reboot.(press and hold power button untill the booting logo displayed)

And possibly a reset/sleep for the settings to apply.

But as above it depends on how the rear speakers / amp have been connected.

Got any pics?
Thanks for help. Going away for a couple of weeks then I'll post some pics.

As above it needs the correct resistance for the fader to appear, what amp, setup do you have ?
Absolut5. Hi bought the harness off your good self. Think I piggy backed the signal from the rear speakers to the SUB you supplied me. Jl 3/4 with X502 amp

Absolut5. Hi bought the harness off your good self. Think I piggy backed the signal from the rear speakers to the SUB you supplied me. Jl 3/4 with X502 amp
If it has front and rear speakers connected and with just a speaker to rca adapter then fader should appear after coding

My converter has installed rear speakers and fed the wiring to behind the radio. They don’t normally do speakers and haven’t charged me for it. But they couldn’t find where to connect the wiring , does anyone have an idea where to plug in the wiring?

Sesame….

T5, 5.1 and T6

T6 and T6.1

Last edited:
The wiring is all in place. But where does the wiring connect at the back of the stereo unit?
Currently the wires are dangling waiting to be plugged into the headunit

The wiring is all in place. But where does the wiring connect at the back of the stereo unit?
Currently the wires are dangling waiting to be plugged into the headunit
You need this mini loom and connectors that goes between the van wiring plug and the van wiring loom - it has break out rear L&R speaker connections which are about 5m long.

Suggest you cut off the 5m of speaker wire and connect to the wires dangling in your van.

You need this mini loom and connectors that goes between the van wiring plug and the van wiring loom - it has break out rear L&R speaker connections which are about 5m long.

Suggest you cut off the 5m of speaker wire and connect to the wires dangling in your van.
Not sure what the mini loom is? It can just be wired into the factory quadlock. @JonriceT6 If you can get it to me weekend of the 25th/26th I can sort it and code it no problem

Just done my first coding with ODBEleven. Control unit 5F Multimedia. Byte 4. Set bits 1 and 7 to one. Equivalently, change the hex value from 3C to BE. Slide to write. Turn ignition off and on again. Fader now active!

Hopefully this is useful for ODBELeven users without the drop down boxes in VCDS, especially since they have a sale on at the moment.

F3E89EF3-7448-451D-ACCE-2A35F3501DE1.png

Back