Adding Rear Speakers to OEM Headunit and enabling Fade

GordyT6

Refrigeration Install Engineer
T6 Pro
Hi peeps anyone taken one of these headunit out yet? Got some new speakers to fit. I've heard you pop the front off? Any tips. Ta ;)

1470153517532.jpg

You need to remove the trim around the headunit this includes the air vents
It's quite tight to get started but is just held in with pop clips and don't use a screwdriver needs to be plastic trim removal tools, the clips are located top and bottom of the trim
After removing surround headunit is secured in place by four screws after removing these the stereo lifts straight forwards and out

You need these pins
image.jpg
To go into this block
image.jpg
And you need to slide out the purple pin in picture as this is what locks the pins in place after u have clicked them in

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not putting in rears. Not yet anyway @Pauly . I'm fitting a custom front component set.

But just out of interest do you buy these new pins from VW ?

I got from my local stereo shop but I do have VW part numbers for them somewhere still waiting for dealer to confirm them

Ah okay. Cheers @Pauly I think will end up fitting some in the rear so I'll have a look at getting some. Cheers for the advice pal.

So Pauly are you saying that the head unit that GordyT6 has will drive rear speakers ?

Yes on the standard setup on vans & kombis, there are four speaker inputs on the back of the stereos - front left/right which are used & rear left/right which are empty
You need to install additional wires to new speaker location, remove stereo and fit new cables into the empty terminals on the existing quadlock connector on rear
Heres the connector before i added my rear speakers
IMG_2031.JPG
and heres one of the wires with pin connected on end ready to insert into plug assembly
IMG_2032.JPG

Its worth noting that after connecting additional speakers in they will work but to function properly the radio will need to be coded with VCDS (vagcom) to accept new speakers and this will activate the fader/balance menu in the radio to give you additional adjustments

@shylock i have VCDS if you would like speakers coded

Excellent Pauly,thanks for posting that. I will source new speakers for somewhere in the rear and speak to you again about the VCDS . Thanks again

Yer my fade front and rear is not active. A friend of mine has Vagcom so hopefully that will sort it after I've fitted some rears.

I've been trying to get the fader working on my Kombi and this is what I have found :

The instructions that I have read on here didn't work.

I have the latest VCDS etc.

Pauly wrote :

'To change stereo enter - Controller 5F-Information Electr
Click coding then when box appears click on long code helper, when that displays click on box 5 which will be byte 4
Underneath you will now see the options in a drop down menu, it will be set to 2 channels/4speakers you want to change it to 4 channels/6speakers
After selecting the change click exit and the long code helper box will disappear and go back to the previous window, click on the bottom where it says 'Do It'
If all goes well a little pop up comes up saying coding accepted or similar'

Pauly, I'm sorry I didn't have a 'Drop Down menu', I just had this :

14522-6435cc33c95aec66ccfd816158eb685a.jpg

Now this is probably because I have an older system but all I did was check the boxes on the Channel 1 and Channel 4 and then I 'Did it' and the fader was instantaneuos active. No going to sleep time or turning off.

Now I've got an older system, I don't mind it sounds ok to me and I have put this up so that anyone else has the problem they will know.

Attachments

• fader.jpg
    fader.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 138
I do a lot of coding for a customer on new T6 bus conversions based on the Startline Zugkopf. They fit rear speakers and want the fader, I use the same process as @Pauly above, get the drop down menu, select '4 channels, 6 speakers' 'exit' then 'do it' and the fader is there immediately without switching off or letting the vehicle sleep

Same for me mate, I have done loads of coding for various people and it's always taken immediate effect, never had a problem that requires van to sleep etc but have heard it mentioned a couple times so think it must be quite rare

Hello,
My name is Chris and im from the Netherlands. Im driving a T6 DSG 204PK from jan 2017.
I have the Discover media and added an amplifier. The front and rear audio goes from the headunit to the amplifier en from the amplifier to the front door speakers en de rear speakers. Everything works fine, but i cant activate the fader option.
I set in VCDS the option 4 speakers to 6 speakers without results. I did this one week ago, so the cat have "slept" enough.
My VCDS version 16.8 (not original but can set al the other options like auto door locking)

Can somebody help me?
I hope my English is ok.

Thank you very much!!

Hold the power button in until the unit does a reboot.

I did one for a member recently and it worked fine..

i will try it again tomorrow morning.
Is it possible to set this to original, then reset and then set it to 6 speakers and then reset it again?

I’ve had the same issue with mine, front and rear connected to an amp and unable to activate the fader. I gave up thinking it won’t activate because the head unit is seeing the speaker outputs as open circuit. :confused:

What if i disconnect it from the amp en connects the wires direct from head unit to rear speakers. Wil this work? And if the fader option appears than reconnect the amp.

Back