Can I stop Creeping with DSG?

p6raf

T6 Pro
Hi all,
I'm very green when it comes to DSG box's.
Had my T6 TSI DSG for a few days now and find creeping very frustrating. What I mean by that is the second I lift off the brake it moves slightly without me giving it any throttle. I understand this is how it's ment to be but I find it unsettling. Can this be stopped ? This teamed up with stop start really annoys me.

It’s to help you pull away and to stop roll back if you are on a slight uphill incline.
you will soon get used to it, you just need to keep your foot on the brake a tiny bit longer.

If you ease off the brake pedal a fraction when still stationary, the stop start will not stop the engine. It takes a bit of practice, (like finding the clutch biting point for the first ever time) but it will soon become second nature.

You will get used to it.... Give it time.

No you can't change it.

You can disable the stop start for a while until you get used to the DSG box.

Put it in Neutral when stopped, then flip it into Drive when you want to go ?
This is what I do on my VW Golf DSG, and I am new to automatics also.

Pete

Put it in Neutral when stopped, then flip it into Drive when you want to go ?
This is what I do on my VW Golf DSG, and I am new to automatics also.

Pete
What age is your Golf? Mk7's and newer have Electronic Parking Brakes and Auto Hold.

I had a very near miss when i first had my van with DSG.

I was reversing up a steep narrow driveway through some granite posts which were slightly narrower than the van with mirrors unfolded, so I reversed past the posts and unfolded the mirrors after passing the obstruction. When i lifted by foot of the brake the van quickly rolled forward which nearly resulted in me wiping out both mirrors!. Luckily I stepped hard on the brakes fast enough and the van then stayed where it should.

I mentioned this to Bognor Motors who gave me a sales pitch saying that software would fix this. I was sceptical, but got my dosh out and the TVS software was applied. I was not keen because the van was brand new and i was worried about warranty implications, but two months later I can definietly say that the software flash was the best mod I have had on my van.

Not only has it fixed the slow speed issues, but if I put my foot to the floor, the van behaves as though Itold it "Go as fast as you can!" (I found before that planting my foot to the ground resulted in the revs and a lag and then a surge of speed after what felt like a second or two.)

I can confirm that I now have a second vehicle which I will put the TVS software on and I believe that @BognorMotors will give me a special rate, due to how I have promoted not only TVS but also their awesome service and advice! :DEh Oli?

I was reversing up a steep narrow driveway through some granite posts which were slightly narrower than the van with mirrors unfolded, so I reversed past the posts and unfolded the mirrors after passing the obstruction. When i lifted by foot of the brake the van quickly rolled forward which nearly resulted in me wiping out both mirrors!. Luckily I stepped hard on the brakes fast enough and the van then stayed where it should.

When moving off up a steep hill, at idle speed, there is not sufficient engine torque to 'creep' and it will roll back. If you hold the brakes a little longer with a bit more pressure, hill start assist will engage. This will prevent roll back.

When moving off up a steep hill, at idle speed, there is not sufficient engine torque to 'creep' and it will roll back. If you hold the brakes a little longer with a bit more pressure, hill start assist will engage. This will prevent roll back.
I am sure that I could get used to it, but to my mind it remains an undesirable feature along with unpredictable and imprecise shifting.
The applied software has to be experienced to really be appreciated, but even then you only really appreciate good when you go back to bad!
Once you go from a vehicle with TVS to a vehicle without, you can't help but wonder if VW should really have come up with similar software theirselves!

I mentioned this to Bognor Motors who gave me a sales pitch saying that software would fix this. I was sceptical, but got my dosh out and the TVS software was applied. I was not keen because the van was brand new and i was worried about warranty implications, but two months later I can definietly say that the software flash was the best mod I have had on my van.

Not only has it fixed the slow speed issues, but if I put my foot to the floor, the van behaves as though Itold it "Go as fast as you can!" (I found before that planting my foot to the ground resulted in the revs and a lag and then a surge of speed after what felt like a second or two.)

I can confirm that I now have a second vehicle which I will put the TVS software on and I believe that @BognorMotors will give me a special rate, due to how I have promoted not only TVS but also their awesome service and advice! :DEh Oli?
What version of the TVS software did you buy? The basic version for DSG gearboxes is called 'Driveability' or Stage 1 and costs around £430. I ask because some TVS tuners advise the more expensive (£600) Stage 2+ which gives them considerable flexibility in making adjustments for the kind of issues you describe.

What version of the TVS software did you buy? The basic version for DSG gearboxes is called 'Driveability' or Stage 1 and costs around £430. I ask because some TVS tuners advise the more expensive (£600) Stage 2+ which gives them considerable flexibility in making adjustments for the kind of issues you describe.
Yes, as @Alster says it is the basic drivability software. This has made the auto box behave itself. The only annoyance that remains with the way that the transmission behaves is when driving in manual, I find it really annoying that the the box drops down a gear too eagerly if you floor it.
For example- At 3500 rpm when pedal is put to the metal, the vehicle changes down to rev just below the red line for a second or two and then changes back the the original al gear that I was in when it floored the vehicle! Grr!

I recently had to move a new VW that had DSG where it would not move until throttle pressed. It was horrible to shuffle out of a parking space. The creep in gear allows you to cover the brake and have the most control in that situation.

I would like a dsg remap though. The hesitation when pulling away from junctions is frustrating.

Have to say having just come to DSG from 20 plus years of Volvo and Saab auto boxes it does a remarkable job of emulating a traditional torque converter box. When I did a trial hire before looking for my own I didn't even realise it wasn't. Only really realised and read up when my own van rolled back on me.

What I have to remember now is not to try and hold the van on the torque, it will do it but I'm actually slipping a clutch and that's not something to do for ages in traffic :whistle:

I do miss that the hire Caravelle had "sports" mode on the DSG - it was much more suited to town and country road driving. The normal approach is good for cruising but does feel a bit like telegraphing the engine room for more power at times around town...

I recently had to move a new VW that had DSG where it would not move until throttle pressed. It was horrible to shuffle out of a parking space. The creep in gear allows you to cover the brake and have the most control in that situation.

I would like a dsg remap though. The hesitation when pulling away from junctions is frustrating.
Is your new VW a car with an auto handbrake? To make it creep, just turn off auto-hold.

Is your new VW a car with an auto handbrake? To make it creep, just turn off auto-hold.
May have been. It was a family bbq and lots of double parked cars on the drive. I was asked to move this one as owner was confident to get it out. To be far once I was inside neither was I.

Back