Camping loo...

Evening folks! After a bit of help / guidance. What porta toilet is everyone typically going for now? The thetford 165 335 or 365? Been away with van today and think time to get a portable toilet is now! Daughter went 4 times before beach! From what I can see the thetford 365 has fancier flush system than 165. Also see the 335 mentioned quite a bit here. Is it worth the extra £30 to buy the 365 compared to 165? Many thanks.

We have a 365 and its quite tall. If I was buying again I’d probably go for a lower one so it could be incorporated into units / stored when we convert ours.

That said ours was brilliant as lockdown restrictions were lifted - we could be self sufficient wherever we went. It did tip over once(before use!) when I braked on a steep hill. It was top heavy with the flush liquid - I keep meaning to look into getting a base plate that can be secured down and the loo clips in. I currently use a thin ratchet strap to secure it.

A tip for anyone using a cassette or porta potti, don’t use chemicals. Apart from the fact they will stain if you spill any ,they are expensive. Far better is Biological washing liquid, Persil, Ariel or cheaper still Aldi or Lidl. It smells better, and being biological it breaks nasties down. Just use a capful in a litre of water in the cassette or bottom tank of a portapotti, if you want add another capful each day. Used it for many years in my last Hymer like many long term Motorhomers.

A tip for anyone using a cassette or porta potti, don’t use chemicals. Apart from the fact they will stain if you spill any ,they are expensive. Far better is Biological washing liquid, Persil, Ariel or cheaper still Aldi or Lidl. It smells better, and being biological it breaks nasties down. Just use a capful in a litre of water in the cassette or bottom tank of a portapotti, if you want add another capful each day. Used it for many years in my last Hymer like many long term Motorhomers.
Great tip

We have a 365 and its quite tall. If I was buying again I’d probably go for a lower one so it could be incorporated into units / stored when we convert ours.

That said ours was brilliant as lockdown restrictions were lifted - we could be self sufficient wherever we went. It did tip over once(before use!) when I braked on a steep hill. It was top heavy with the flush liquid - I keep meaning to look into getting a base plate that can be secured down and the loo clips in. I currently use a thin ratchet strap to secure it.
Thanks @Paynewright think I'm set in the 365 as well. Just measured and same height as main ones in house.... (I once worked with a guy that broke his back sitting down on a toilet that was lower than expected.... ) ratched strap good idea as well.

We have a 365, had the van 6 years, we spend a minimum of 100 nights/year in the van. Never used the porta potti. It’s a security blanket. I also have mild-medium IBS (Irritating b4stard syndrome, before anyone jumps in first)

We have a 365, had the van 6 years, we spend a minimum of 100 nights/year in the van. Never used the porta potti. It’s a security blanket. I also have mild-medium IBS (Irritating b4stard syndrome, before anyone jumps in first)
Just purchased the 365 as well. I'm sure it will get well used!

Had a Thetford 345 I think it is. used it once when facilities were hard to come by in lock down. Now just have these two things for emergencies.

View attachment 183954

View attachment 183955

To be honest when wild camping, 'britstopping' or 'Park4Nighting' we just use Pub/Restaurant/Cafe facilities.
Ditto, we have a 345 and a piss pot but we have one of these:
PORTABLE OUTDOOR / INDOOR GREY TOILET - POTTY LOO MANUAL, IDEAL FOR CAMPING CARAVAN PICNIC FISHING FESTIVALS https://amzn.eu/d/8bE4Lsi

Often just have the bucket on standby for evenings when the ale has gone down well. The porta potti is good but much more hassle than a bucket. Cleaning it out is a PITA which sort of defeats the point! Also, wife will only use anything but a heated throne is an absolute emergency.

Reactions: CAB
I have the same bottle as Mel and I also practice his Porta-Potti technique, no more emptying for me.

Each to their own @DXX as long as you pick up after yourself lol
Generally I miss out doing it on the football pitch and dragging my arse across the grass, it upsets the locals.
However if Rover does it seems to be acceptable.

Back