Camping Ideas and Tips

We start a shared note on our phones each year. Dead easy to update/edit. We add links to campsites or places that we’ve visited, total cost of trip, number of nights etc. it forms a complete journal of our year & allows us to share stuff with other campers when they ask where did you go/visit/stay etc. being a shared note, the legwork is split between us.
Personally, the best log we have of where we’ve been is:

Portable Awning Light,

@Jollyvan takes the credit for this one,

a great idea to add awning lights to any awning or tent.

grab you standard camping light , and use a magnet to hold it in place. . .

1695277518834.png

we used this USB rechargeable light, that has a built in sensor. . . . so it comes on at night when someone walks near.

1695277575093.png

add two magnets . . . .

1695277591125.png

and there we have it . . . . portable lighting. . .

1695277657066.png

we used these lights:

1695277770149.png

and these magnets:

1695277837455.png

or these hook versions:

1695277892615.png

1695277609624.png

1695277622153.png

Last edited:
Temporary changing room. or privacy wall.

At Busfest we grabbed a couple of these Mandala style double throw sheets.

and trying to pack the Bus very small / lightweight for future trips,

we left the whole utility tent at home (toilet/changing space)

we we made our own.

using the magnets again. . . .

we hung up the double sheet in a cube shape - shower curtain style. . .

1695278150122.png

we hung it from the Awning using double magnets . . . . either side of the roof fabric.

1695278184106.png1695278347392.png1695278360420.png

to create a private area for changing and the wee bucket - AKA PortaPotti

1695278231535.png1695278692549.png

then at the end of the day we moved it out to the front to cover the whole awning area to enclose the space. . . .

i must say it worked very well,

and was much smaller for the pack size verses the whole utility tent thing.

Neo magnets: Amazon.co.uk : neodymium neo magnets

Mandala sheets: Amazon.co.uk : mandala sheet

1695278529130.png

Portable Camper Remote control Lighting

@WeaWar takes credit for this. . . .

we saw this at Busfest 23 from the guys . . .

a great idea and temporary solution for campervan lighting . . .

they had used the Magnet hooks to hold a Vango USB light strip along the roof line of the van.

a great idea, so we had to try it out - it worked perfect. . .

getting the hooks. . .

1695278884333.png1695278895605.png

with a spring clamp at the end. . .

1695278913772.png

the warm white light strip rans all along the side. . .

1695278937429.png

and looks great an night. . . .

1695278977495.png

and being USB powered we run it from a USB power pack.

and switched it ON/OFF via the Remote . .

you wan also use the remote to set the brightness 10-100% . .

1695279077099.png1695279090231.png

then when the light is off . . . we have one of the Decathlon USB lamps set on RED for some background ambiaunce. . .

1695279153539.png

oh. . . and the USB Mozzi zapper thing. . . . .

the drivers and passenger doors work out to be perfect shelves when the seats are swivled. . . .

happy days. . .

++++

magnet hooks : Amazon.co.uk : magnet hooks

1695279305503.png

Vango Sunbeam FLEX 2m USB : https://amzn.to/3ETapqZ

1695279288341.png

Outdoor Rev` Mozzi zapper : https://amzn.to/3rvbJgJ

1695279384056.png

Decathlon LED Lamp : CAMPING LAMP - BL200 RECHARGEABLE - 200 LUMENS

1695279453779.png1695279461866.png

1695281865988.png

Last edited:
Portable Awning Light,

@Jollyvan takes the credit for this one,

a great idea to add awning lights to any awning or tent.

grab you standard camping light , and use a magnet to hold it in place. . .

View attachment 214686

we used this USB rechargeable light, that has a built in sensor. . . . so it comes on at night when someone walks near.

View attachment 214687

add two magnets . . . .

View attachment 214688

and there we have it . . . . portable lighting. . .

View attachment 214691

we used these lights:

View attachment 214692

and these magnets:

View attachment 214693

or these hook versions:

View attachment 214694

View attachment 214689

View attachment 214690
Good idea that Lee - just don't do what I did and try to pack-away the awning with the light still attached. :rolleyes:

In the Caravelle we use several of these types of light from Ebay as they perfectly fit in the roofline folding grab handles (for lighting) and the drinks holders by the USB sockets (storage and charging).

Run for about 3 hour high 5 hours medium but are happy to run off a USB lead for longer, useful clip and a magnet. We also use them on the tailgate for the rear kitchen or on the table as kind of candle.

s-l1600.jpg

Some more pictures and notes over on my tinkering thread...

Edited to add: They also clip very well under the front seat on the slider locking bar that goes across under the middle of seat squab - ideal for illuminating electrical gubbins in the seat base if you need both hands...

Last edited:
Portable Camper Remote control Lighting

@WeaWar takes credit for this. . . .

we saw this at Busfest 23 from the guys . . .

a great idea and temporary solution for campervan lighting . . .

they had used the Magnet hooks to hold a Vango USB light strip along the roof line of the van.

a great idea, so we had to try it out - it worked perfect. . .

getting the hooks. . .

View attachment 214702View attachment 214703

with a spring clamp at the end. . .

View attachment 214704

the warm white light strip rans all along the side. . .

View attachment 214705

and looks great an night. . . .

View attachment 214706

and being USB powered we run it from a USB power pack.

and switched it ON/OFF via the Remote . .

you wan also use the remote to set the brightness 10-100% . .

View attachment 214707View attachment 214708

then when the light is off . . . we have one of the Decathlon USB lamps set on RED for some background ambiaunce. . .

View attachment 214709

oh. . . and the USB Mozzi zapper thing. . . . .

the drivers and passenger doors work out to be perfect shelves when the seats are swivled. . . .

happy days. . .

++++

magnet hooks : Amazon.co.uk : magnet hooks

View attachment 214711

Vango Sunbeam FLEX 2m USB : https://amzn.to/3ETapqZ

View attachment 214710

Outdoor Rev` Mozzi zapper : https://amzn.to/3rvbJgJ

View attachment 214712

Decathlon LED Lamp : CAMPING LAMP - BL200 RECHARGEABLE - 200 LUMENS

View attachment 214713View attachment 214714

View attachment 214715

we use the same in our van works a treat

@Dellmassive, I see you've had/used both, so which would recommend - a Dryrobe or a Gorilla robe?

Also, is the bagginess baked in to the sizing (i.e. just buy your usual size) or do you need to buy the next size up?

TIA

I prefer the Dryrobe myself.

But there are now tons of makes, and they are all very similar. (But all slightly different in material type and thickness and weight and style)

The wife prefers the Dryrobe as it zips on, she was moaning about messing up her moptop with the Gorilla going.over the head.

Gooutdoors do some now, as do RED and etc etc etc...

As for sizing, be cautious as it's normaly the length that changes.... With the baggyness being the same.

I had a L short sleeve DR. And wanted a long sleeve, so got a XL.... That was way to big(and long)...... So stick with the size chart. (I'm 5.11 and 38waist).

In the end I got a L long sleeve which is perfect.

We have two DRs now and the Gorilla hasn't been used for a while....

The shower fleece things are all very similar... I've got the Gorilla and DR versions.both very good.

• Love
Reactions: Bav
I prefer the Dryrobe myself.

But there are now tons of makes, and they are all very similar. (But all slightly different in material type and thickness and weight and style)

The wife prefers the Dryrobe as it zips on, she was moaning about messing up her moptop with the Gorilla going.over the head.

Gooutdoors do some now, as do RED and etc etc etc...

As for sizing, be cautious as it's normaly the length that changes.... With the baggyness being the same.

I had a L short sleeve DR. And wanted a long sleeve, so got a XL.... That was way to big(and long)...... So stick with the size chart. (I'm 5.11 and 38waist).

In the end I got a L long sleeve which is perfect.

We have two DRs now and the Gorilla hasn't been used for a while....

The shower fleece things are all very similar... I've got the Gorilla and DR versions.both very good.
Cheers @Dellmassive :thumbsup:. I was favouring the look of the DR (if not the price!) and you haven't said anything to steer me away from that.

Cheers @Dellmassive :thumbsup:. I was favouring the look of the DR (if not the price!) and you haven't said anything to steer me away from that.
Both my wife and daughter are huge fans of their DryRobes. We have had both the long and short sleeve versions over the years.
Personally I prefer the version made by Voited. Works just as well as a changing robe but looks more "coatlike" if you are wanting to wear it around the campsite or when walking the dog etc. Also much lighter and packs way smaller.
Mine is the original version. Not sure what "improvements" they have made for the 2nd Edition.
10% discount available on first order if you sign up to their newsletter.
1698924163631.png

At Summer Camp this year we were treated to an impromptu fashion parade/catwalk display of Dryrobe and 'others' hosted by @Dellmassive and the magical Lisa. Wifey and I tried on all the available offerings on show and (she) decided we preferred the 'Red Original' brand. Felt fluffier and warmer to us(her)!
When we returned home our Fairy Godmother (the mother in law) waved her magic wand (well, her debit card) and low and behold we now are the proud owners of 2 black Reds! They are housed in a draw string bag which sucks the air from the pack and they take up very little space in the van. We got 15% NHS/Bluelight discount from the Red site, worth having.
I'm 5ft 10", 12 stone, an 'L' for me, the Mrs had an 'S' tallish skinny girl. Fit perfectly.
We used them for real at Autumn camp, the cool night air didn't get through them.
There's more meat on a butchers biro than my Mrs so for her to be warm and happy was a massive credit to Red!
After Autumn Camp it took nearly a month of airing to lose the smell of the campfire though, and you're not allowed to wash them!
All in all a great bit of kit, heartily recommended.

Both my wife and daughter are huge fans of their DryRobes. We have had both the long and short sleeve versions over the years.
Personally I prefer the version made by Voited. Works just as well as a changing robe but looks more "coatlike" if you are wanting to wear it around the campsite or when walking the dog etc. Also much lighter and packs way smaller.
Mine is the original version. Not sure what "improvements" they have made for the 2nd Edition.
10% discount available on first order if you sign up to their newsletter.
View attachment 218579
At Summer Camp this year we were treated to an impromptu fashion parade/catwalk display of Dryrobe and 'others' hosted by @Dellmassive and the magical Lisa. Wifey and I tried on all the available offerings on show and (she) decided we preferred the 'Red Original' brand. Felt fluffier and warmer to us(her)!
When we returned home our Fairy Godmother (the mother in law) waved her magic wand (well, her debit card) and low and behold we now are the proud owners of 2 black Reds! They are housed in a draw string bag which sucks the air from the pack and they take up very little space in the van. We got 15% NHS/Bluelight discount from the Red site, worth having.
I'm 5ft 10", 12 stone, an 'L' for me, the Mrs had an 'S' tallish skinny girl. Fit perfectly.
We used them for real at Autumn camp, the cool night air didn't get through them.
There's more meat on a butchers biro than my Mrs so for her to be warm and happy was a massive credit to Red!
After Autumn Camp it took nearly a month of airing to lose the smell of the campfire though, and you're not allowed to wash them!
All in all a great bit of kit, heartily recommended.
Thanks guys. More brands to consider. :)

Back