Campervan: microwave / oven / grill?

MartyMoose

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just debating whether to fit an oven and/or grill to my camper. Will it need to be vented to outside? Any other pros or cons or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I shall be having that discussion with the missus as she's the one that wants it. A microwave might be more useful.

We have a small gas oven/grill in our campervan and we use it all the time and wouldn't be without it.

No vents on the outside of the van ,

When we cook with the oven we never get smells in the van

Cheers john

We have managed with no issues with our standard cali 2 ring hob and a outside small gas BBQ for the last 5 years. must say we do use a pub or the fish shop for the chips

Is there such a thing as a 12v/240v mircowave/oven? I dont think smev do one..
??.

12V/24V Microwave Ovens

I looked into installing a microwave oven in my campervan last year. Here is a summary of what I found.

The main problem is the power consumption. Most microwave ovens produce 500W to 800W of microwave power which, with a typical efficiency of 50% requires an input power of 1500W or 125A @ 12V or 63A @ 24V. While a leisure battery should have the capacity (Ah) to supply this current for short periods, one must check the maximum permitted rate of discharge. The cranking amperes (CA) is specified for starter batteries but the equivalent specification for a leisure can be harder to find.

24V Wavebox Microwave Oven, 7 litres, Input: 600W @ 24V. This is on the RoadKing website [3]. There may also be a 12V model because there are several YouTube reviews of a 12V version.

Whispaire Portable Microwave, 17 litre, 12V and 24V models, Input power: informative table on website [1].

Dometic Roadmate MWO 230 Microwave Oven, 20 litres, Input: 30A @ 24V (720W) & Inverter for mains operation

Expect to pay several hundred pounds. Mains powered ovens are much cheaper and have the advantage that the inverter could be placed next to the battery and only a mains wire would be needed run to the oven rather than a low voltage wire capable of 30+ amps. The other advantage would be that the oven could be powered direct when one has hook-up.

I was grateful to the Microwave Service Company website [2] for drawing my attention the fact that some microwave ovens draw a surge current each time they switch on. Apparently, these surge currents can be large enough to trip the supply on some campsites.

Richard.

[1] The specification for the Whispaire Portable Microwave, 17 litre model gives details of the power required for the various settings.
Whispaire 12/24 volt microwave
[2] The Microwave Expert’s site has a number of most informative articles.
Microwave Service Company Ltd
He states that he can supply a low surge oven.
Low Power Microwaves for Caravans
[3] RoadKing
24v Ovens | 24 Volt Portable Truck Ovens | ROADKING.co.uk

For more sites, search “12V 24V microwave oven”.

Back to the original question. My wife and I only moved up from a hike tent four years ago, so we still regard the comforts of a campervan as luxury. Although the van has a Smev hob and warming oven, we don’t use it. We actually use a Campingaz Bistro with CP250 cartridges [1] and a 1kW Kampa single electric hob [2] when we have hook-up. Although we can use them in the van with the rear door open, we prefer to cook outside - after all we never cooked in our tent.

We have spent about 70 nights in the van including two trips to Scandinavia and, with planning, not felt the need for a second hob. However, we do fancy an oven. There is a large choice of mains powered mini-ovens. From my experience with a 9 litre oven with only two knobs (temperature & time), I would recommend a larger volume and individual control of which elements are on (typically three knobs). I have not yet found an oven that is powered from a CP250 cartridge. The only solution I have, is to place a Coleman Camp Oven [3] on top of the Campingaz hob. They are designed to fit on Coleman® Liquid Fuel and propane camp stoves, so it should be OK if I keep it away from the gas cartridge.

I hope this helps you to decide what you need to install. I suggest that you check who may do the installation [5] - I know that the Gas Safe Register [4] is good place to start for domestic installations.

Richard.

[1] Campingaz Bistro Stove
World of Water
[2] Kampa single electric hob
Single Electric Hob | Hotplate for Camping and Caravan
[3] Coleman Camp Oven
Camp Oven
[4] Gas Safe Register
Gas Safe Register | Trust the Triangle - Gas Safe Register has replaced CORGI registration. Trust the Triangle, only use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
[5] This link illustrates my point
Bought an Oven - Tips on fitting? (UKCampsite.co.uk Caravan Repairs, Servicing and Maintenance Forum)

Oops! I should have taken another look on the web before making my last post. It appears that there is now a cartridge gas powered oven on the market. It is considerably more expensive than my previous suggestion but there should be no doubt about its safety. Search using "oven gas cartridge" and you will be offered several versions of what appears to be the same oven.

Richard.

Thanks for the info Richard and for taking the time to respond. I've had a bit of time to reflect on the options and I think for now, while we're still new to the game, we will see how we manage with just a hob. I am thinking of getting a small weber Q series gas bbq, or similar, as you can use it as a basic oven when the lid is closed.

Thank you for mentioning the Weber Q series. I assumed that they are up-market BBQs and did not realise how versatile they are. I have looked at the details on the Weber website and look forward to reading about your experiences (assuming you buy one) for cooking and baking as well as using it as a BBQ. I also like the idea that one can use gas in a canister or a larger cylinder. It's definitely worth thinking about.

Richard.

Thanks for the info Richard and for taking the time to respond. I've had a bit of time to reflect on the options and I think for now, while we're still new to the game, we will see how we manage with just a hob. I am thinking of getting a small weber Q series gas bbq, or similar, as you can use it as a basic oven when the lid is closed.
As mentioned we've done loads of extended trips and been fine with a two ring hob.

An outdoor cooker is handy but we didn't use ours much on our last long Euro trip.

Back