Camper, Sickness And Handling...

WHSE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I've read many many posts about the various pros and cons of different suspension options and keep finding myself going back and changing my mind.

I have a fully converted T6 (T28 102) running the standard suspension on 20 inch wheels with 275/40/20 tyres.

The problem-

Whilst we don't want it to be handling like a car, the current ride and handling characteristics are not the best. Wallowy, bouncy, rolly and generally giving a floating sensation rather than feeling sure footed. Also when it is fully loaded from top to bottom the rear is very low. We also have the problem that some family members find the floating/rocking sensation causes them to feel travel sick on anything other than a straightforward motorway journey.

We want to firm it all up without dropping it too far but don't want to end up with a crashy and harsh ride. I know B14s are the ideal but I don't want to spend that much so the options considered are....

1) 40mm springs (h&r or Cobras)
2) Eibach adjustable comfort springs
3) Stance+ coilovers

They all offer slightly different price points and slightly different pros/cons but what I'm struggling to settle on is a clear view of which of these would give a well dampened, controlled but comfortable ride? Just springs sounds "ok" but some report a hardness over rough ground, the Eibach adjustable springs sound good but for the money spent it seems like the compromise will still be the standard shocks so will that mean an under damped ride? Lastly the Stance+ sound great for the price but are they still comfortable? Are they too good to be true?

Any help massively appreciated, need to make a decision now!

It’s difficult to give opinions on suspension changes as everyone has different views on what effect the changes have made in their mind.
So my 2p worth may not match with anyone else’s.
I installed the Eibach Pro Street dampers and springs onto my van this year, I changed to them from Van Slam coilovers and springs but I have not had the original dampers and springs on the van whilst I have owned it so I’m unable to say what the difference between original and current setup is, indeed I only drove the van about 2 miles with the Van Slam’s on it before I changed to the Eibach’s so I can’t really advise on the difference between those two either.
However, I have driven it with the Eibach’s on, and coupled with the H&R uprated anti roll bars and a set of uprated drop links I have no issues with the handling or ride quality this setup gives.
Very little roll in corners or on roundabouts, no wallowing on fast corners (I had an X1/9 that was terrible on dual carriageway bends until I fitted some lower, stiffer springs) and they cope well with the generally crap road surfaces we have to endure these days.
I have a set of Nitron coilovers on my Caterham and I would give the Eibach’s an 8/10 in comparison, the lack of adjustable damping being the only reason for the missed points.

I have had 6 transporters in the last 6 years ( don’t ask) and only ever put 40mm lowering springs on the previous 5, which were fine. I now have a Caravelle so I thought I’d go down the route like a lot of people, Bilstein B14’s and H&R ARB and to be honest I couldn’t tell you if there was any huge difference apart from the money. I don’t drive hard or fast and at the end of the day, it’s a van.

Having had mine on lowered springs, and still having the wallow and bounce, then moving to B14 and H&Rs, I can say there is a vast difference in drive.

Mine is a work van, but it's just as heavy as a good camper conversion with all my equipment. I do drive mine hard, and it does things that only a hot hatch would do. However, I appreciate that this is a lot of money to throw at a T6.

Your 20" wheels on standard suspension is always going to feel a little off anyway, but I've seen too many reports and gripes on the cheaper end of the coil-over suspension to waste money on those personally. If it was me in your situation, i'd consider H&R anti roll bars as your first point of call, and if you still have your original wheels, try the H&Rs with both sets, you might find the standard ones are slightly better.
After that, if you are still unhappy, bite the bullet and save for the b14s. The lowering springs might just feel the same, plus you won't have the ability to adjust them if the Camper doesn't sit level, unless you're going for adjustable spring cups, but again, by the time you've paid out for these fitted, and not been overly happy with the results, you might of well gone B14.

Been there, done it the cheaper way, and it ended up costing me more in the end.

I'd agree with what Tourershine says. The H&R ARB"s and B14s totally transforms the ride & allows you to set the stance to suit the weight distribution; well worth the extra outlay in my opinion.

If you use the search option and look for

Ride Height Survey

There is loads in info there

I've had just the B14s fitted so far, courtesy of Vanstyle and their free fitting service, would I have spent a grand normally to improve the suspension on a typical family car... definitely not but the T6 looks so great and handles so crap that you have to... funny how it's ugly cousins the Vivaros and Transits handle well straight out of the box.o_O

Anyway my T6 is now booked in for some thicker ARBs to remove the last vestiges of that lurch you get when exiting roundabouts or when there's a rapid camber change.

Mine's a SWB camper conversion and the B14s changed the handling from mildly pooping my pants going into even wide sweeping bends to that of some nutter in an under powered Fiesta chasing his mate in the RS Turbo... you really can carry a lot more speed through bends now and better still don't have to close your eyes while praying so no more multi tasking.

I run 18" wheels if that makes a difference but due to an underslung water tank have only dropped the van 50mm really, the handling improvement from the B14s alone has been down to more predictable reactions from the van to the road surface ie. no longer crashy, bouncy or about to fall over mid bend... you need to drive a van fitted with them and see what you think.

funny how it's ugly cousins the Vivaros and Transits handle well straight out of the box.o_O

I totally agree there. I had a 2015 new shape Vivaro, and as much as it was an unreliable pig, it did drive much better that a VW straight out the box.

Mine is currently running on H&R springs and so did my last T5 and to me they’re spot on. Handling, comfort etc. Can’t see you slamming into corners in a camper unless you want all your condiments mixed together. H&R give you a lower ride and better handling than standard. Also if you decide you could go better you could flog them and upgrade to coilovers as they are easy to fit and remove.
I’m changing mine to stance ultra low coilovers soon but it’s only a height issue as I’m not to bothered about handling as I don’t drive to mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the van slam kit fitted with 20 x 275 x 35 wheels. The suspension is about as good as I would expect from a coilover change. There is still some tiny side to side wallowing which I suspect would need some stiffer anti roll bars to remove. The van slam kit is reliable and good value so cannot fault that. The biggest issue is the thin side walls on the tyres making pot holes a nightmare.

If you dont want to go to low fgit a sport kit KONI special active self adjusting shocks and an H&R spring kit to suit the vehicle weight
This will give a fabulous ride and superb handling with comfort being main Focus

Springs alone wont help the problem and certainly cheap coil over wont do you any favours

B 14 isnt always the answer even though very popular with the Transporter owners , there are systems that are much more comfortable and look great

Back