Camper / day van build thread

Looking clean. What're you planning?

The plan is to keep it looking commercial. Carpet etc in the back with a smart bed on rails. No units. Oh and it will be low on banded steels if I can ever get hold of any.
Little bit at a time though coz I'm skint now.

Coilovers arrived from Chilli Jam Vans. Exciting. Hopefully I'll get time to fit them at the weekend.

how soft did you set the rear dampers, I have same setup but having major issues
As far as I know they are set on the softest setting out of the box so I haven't adjusted them. Did you get the sensitive or the max low ? What issues are you having?

I'm running mine with h and r springs, the front is amazing but rear is terrible its shakes my furniture to bits going over the smallest bumps, I even tried putting my 16 inch rims back on thinking it may be my 20"s but it was the same, today I stiffened the rears up 1/4 turn but made no difference. I only really noticed my issue when I sat in the back whilst the wife drove and its terrible.

I'm running mine with h and r springs, the front is amazing but rear is terrible its shakes my furniture to bits going over the smallest bumps, I even tried putting my 16 inch rims back on thinking it may be my 20"s but it was the same, today I stiffened the rears up 1/4 turn but made no difference. I only really noticed my issue when I sat in the back whilst the wife drove and its terrible.
I only fitted mine today. I'll be testing it and making adjustments tomorrow so I'll post the results then. Just a thought but did you re-use the original spring rubbers ?

I only fitted mine today. I'll be testing it and making adjustments tomorrow so I'll post the results then. Just a thought but did you re-use the original spring rubbers ?

I did use the original rubbers, thats my next step to change them out but my van is also 2019 so never thought to change them

Twin Monotube max low coilovers fitted. Wound all the way down on the front giving a 90mm drop and about 3/4 of the way down on the back. Its empty in the back so I might adjust it once the seat/bed is in and new wheels go on.20200927_155618.jpg

Twin Monotube max low coilovers fitted. Wound all the way down on the front giving a 90mm drop and about 3/4 of the way down on the back. Its empty in the back so I might adjust it once the seat/bed is in and new wheels go on.View attachment 86628
Looks superb, how's the ride and was there any issues fitting yourself? Any special tools required or tricky bits?

Looks superb, how's the ride and was there any issues fitting yourself? Any special tools required or tricky bits?
Thanks. Only done a few miles but I'm happy so far. It feels much better than the standard suspension, even being wound all the way down. It's a bit softer than I was expecting though. They have to come off to adjust the damping so I'll leave it for now. No real drama fitting them but I'm a mechanic and I've done plenty of them. Special tools you'll need spring compressors to get the top mounts off the old struts and an M14 spline bit for the bottom ball joint (or you can split the ball joint from the lower arm). Also aT30 torx bit to remove the access panels in the bulkhead to get to the top of the struts.

Thanks. Only done a few miles but I'm happy so far. It feels much better than the standard suspension, even being wound all the way down. It's a bit softer than I was expecting though. They have to come off to adjust the damping so I'll leave it for now. No real drama fitting them but I'm a mechanic and I've done plenty of them. Special tools you'll need spring compressors to get the top mounts off the old struts and an M14 spline bit for the bottom ball joint (or you can split the ball joint from the lower arm). Also aT30 torx bit to remove the access panels in the bulkhead to get to the top of the struts.
Thanks, my son is looking at those coilovers for his van, so when I saw you were fitting them thought I'd ask. Thanks for the tip on spring clamps. Cheers.

Twin Monotube max low coilovers fitted. Wound all the way down on the front giving a 90mm drop and about 3/4 of the way down on the back. Its empty in the back so I might adjust it once the seat/bed is in and new wheels go on.View attachment 86628
Looks good but with those wheels it looks like its carrying 2 pallets of bricks, how does the rear feel

Looks good but with those wheels it looks like its carrying 2 pallets of bricks, how does the rear feel
Rear feels fine. No weird noises and good amount of damping. I'll do final adjustments when there's more weight in the back and new wheels go on.

Back