Camper van weight

MikeB

T6 Pro
See all the folk saying ye don't need a T32 and that a T28 is perfectly fine, even with a conversion!

We put ours onto a weighbridge yesterday on our way home from a week away. Gross weight came in at 3,180! We've got a LWB with a full conversion by Exploria (Reimo roof and VW Cali bed), and were carrying two 18ft sea kayaks on a Zolzer kayak rack (similar to a Karitek one) and two mountain bikes on an Altera Strada towball mount. So we had all the associated kit for biking and kayaking, but nothing like an awning or other heavy camping-type stuff.

The wagon had half a tank of fuel, two of us in it, and maybe 15 ltrs of water in the underslung tank. I was rather surprised. I was very glad I'd ignored one VW dealer who was adamant that we didn't need a T32.

Wow! Mind you I suppose it's the kayaks that are doing that, I'd certainly want the max payload if I was carrying those. The heaviest mine has ever weighed in at was 2620kg with 2 bikes (albeit one a kids), full fuel, full water and absolutely packed with our stuff inside. It would be impossible for mine to be overweight as there's never any room left to put anything else in.

Kayaks are probably 55 kg for the pair. The rack? Maybe 25kg. So really only the weight of a person. The AS rack is 15kg. Bikes are about 15kg each. We didn't even have all the stuff we'd have if we'd been overnight camping with the kayaks (tent / sleeping bags / etc). I'll be taking the wagon along to the w/bridge when it's unloaded / empty to see what's what.

SWB T28 here and if you resist taking the contents of your house, garage and garden shed with you, also resist filling the water and diesel tanks plus buy supplies locally then it drives and handles pretty well, honest.... just saying.;)

Just by way of update - I put it over the w/bridge again today. With only me, 1/4 tank of fuel, no water, no bike rack - the wagon weighed in at 2860! That includes the kayak rack as it's a permanent fit, oh, and a full 907.

I put my SWB T28 with a full camper conversion on the weigh bridge last year. I stupidly forgot about noting fuel but without anybody in it but with a few bits and pieces which tend to stay in the van (but probably don't get to much more than 30Kg), the ticket read 2280 Kg. Doing a few quick mental sums I added in me and my wife plus all the other stuff that has to go on a long trip and reckoned that we would be OK. However, it later occurred to me that whenever we travel over to Europe, one of the great bonuses is the chance to restock the cellar (aka a spare bedroom) with decent wine and it wouldn't take many cases of that to push over the top (10 cases of wine can weigh about 150 Kg!). Having first rejected the idea last year, those thoughts sobered me up enough to start the 'up plating' process on the van with SV Tech which should result in another 200 Kg being officially added to the weights section of the V5 by DVLA. SV Tech will also issue a new 'weight plate' to stick in the engine bay. Although I had already made up my mind, it also helped that they had a stand at the Malvern show last weekend and offered a much reduced price for the job. I don't know what load reading the 'standard' T28 Clayton wheels and tyres have but my case was helped by the fact that I already have Devonports and tyres on mine from a T32 and no further modifications are required.

Hi all,

I hope some one can help......
I'm looking at getting a LWB T6.1 T28 with a CamperKing conversion and poptop. I'm being told by a friend of a friend that it would nearly be overweight with just 4 adults and a tank of fuel!
It will have a fiamma awning attached also.

Does anyone know the gross weight of a LWB campervan with pop top? Just as a guide.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance

I wouldn’t put a conversion in anything less than a t30. Our t32 4mot LWB has only 120kg “spare” when fully loaded/fuelled/2 adults. I lose around 100kg with the 4mot, so a non 4mot would have around 220kg spare capacity. Add 2 more adults/food/water/booze/bbq/clothes etc & you’re going to be over. There’re are well documented cases on here of t28 conversions being “saggy” on the back end. Don’t tell me it’s the 84ps engine too:whistle:C51D51EE-67EA-4434-B8DF-983D53D1630A.jpeg

I wouldn’t put a conversion in anything less than a t30. Our t32 4mot LWB has only 120kg “spare” when fully loaded/fuelled/2 adults. I lose around 100kg with the 4mot, so a non 4mot would have around 220kg spare capacity. Add 2 more adults/food/water/booze/bbq/clothes etc & you’re going to be over. There’re are well documented cases on here of t28 conversions being “saggy” on the back end. Don’t tell me it’s the 84ps engine too:whistle:View attachment 134886
WOW!!! Thanks matey..... That's not a lot left is it and that's on a T32!!
its a 110bhp T28 and it'll be used for me the wife and the dog, no bikes but plenty of alcohol and a drive away awning.
I'm being told by the dealer that the T28 is the most common conversion and he's never heard of an issue but can't get the converted weight from anywhere. I want to make sure before I buy.....

I was worried when mine was built on a T30 with just me and 2 dogs! I said to the converters that I was surprised that they didn't use T32s for my type of build.

A friend got his from there and recommended there builds.....

What are the forums recommendations? I live in the west Mids area
Personally I wouldn’t restrict my choice of converter to the area I live in.
It’s worth checking online, narrowing down a few converters and travelling for a visit.

A friend got his from there and recommended there builds.....

What are the forums recommendations? I live in the west Mids area
There are plenty of good converters out there, just as there are plenty of cowboys. The recent explosion in demand for campers has led to converters springing up on every street corner. You need to do your research before you part with any cash. Visit Busfest/motor home & caravan show etc and see what’s out there. If Camper King are the only ones you’ve looked at, it can only get better. It took us nearly 2 years of thorough research before we made a decision. Any good converters will have a long waiting list, expect at least 6-8 months, that’s if you can find a suitable base van.
After our research we went with Dirty Weekender in Worcester.

Back